Adjunct Survey Results - March/April 2004
- 232 completed the survey via internet, 57 completed the paper survey; 876 adjunct
faculty were contacted to complete the survey, 289 completed the survey; a 33% response
- 58.1% have taught three or less years at UVSC with 15.9% of those teaching less than
1 year at UVSC.
- 52.9% have more than 10 years of full-time work experience in the field related to
the class(es) they are teaching.
- 49.8% are teaching 3-6 credit hours this semester at UVSC.
- 52.6% are teaching 12 or less credit hours this year at UVSC.
- For the most part, adjunct faculty are not using the benefits currently provided to
them from UVSC; 55% used Direct Deposit, and 21.8% use Tuition Waiver, all other benefits
are being used less than 10%.
- 36.9% stated that teaching at UVSC is their primary form of employment.
- 51.9% only have one other job this semester. 23% state they have no other jobs this
semester (which is conflicting data from the previous question).
- 46% work 40 or more hours a week at their other employment. 21% do not have any other
employment (conflicting data).
- 15.3% indicate they have no other employment (conflicting data).
- Most (59.9%) have at least health insurance benefits offered to them through other
employment or spouse.
- 61.1% have had good or excellent experience with the administration at UVSC; 20% have
had no experience with the administration.
- 84.4% have had good or excellent experience with the department head at UVSC; only
5.2% have had no experience with the department head.
- 74.7% have had good or excellent experience with the full-time faculty at UVSC; 9.7%
have had no experience with the full-time faculty.
- 68.1% have had good or excellent experience with the other adjuncts at UVSC; 21.1%
have had no experience with the other adjuncts.
- 49.6% have a master's degree and 16.2% have a doctorate degree.
- 64.4% definitely want to teach again; a mean score of 1.93, where 1 is definitely
want to teach again and 7 is do not want to teach again.
- 77.8% are satisfied or very satisfied with being an adjunct at UVSC; mean score of
1.96, where 1 is very satisfied and 5 is very dissatisfied.
- Adjuncts list that access to parking, mean 1.60; salary increases, mean 1.61; waivers
for family members, mean 2.09; access to a campus computer, mean 2.16; and bonuses
based on merit, mean 2.17 are the most important aspects of the college environment.
- Adjuncts list that access to parking, 64.8%; secretarial services, 57.8%; access to
campus computer, 48% are adequate or very adequate aspects of the college environment.
- Adjuncts list that salary increases, 60%; health insurance 51.7%; bonuses based on
merit, 49%; office space for adjuncts, 44.2%; tuition waivers for family members,
41.6% are inadequate or very inadequate aspects of the college environment.