Kindra K. Amott
Department of Languages
Objective: What is Academic Advising?
A process in which advisor and advisee enter in a dynamic relationship respectful
of the student's concerns. Ideally, the advisor serves as teacher and guide in an
interactive partnership aimed at enhancing the student's self-awareness and fulfillment
(O'Banion, T. 1972). Academic advising is a collaborative educational process. A student
and their advisor are partners and the partnership requires participation and involvement
of both the advisor and the student.
Ultimately, the college experience you build at UVU is your responsibility. Your advisor
will assist you by providing information and resources but you are responsible for
choosing and planning your individual program and for meeting academic deadlines and
Contact: How do I contact my Academic Advisor?
Phone: (801) 863-8518
Office: CB 506p
Current Offerings within the Department of Languages & Cultures:
Bachelor of Arts
Language courses available in: ASL, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
Offerings for other minors
Apply for UVU Admission
Transfer courses to UVU
"Testing-out" of Language classes
Academic Advisor Responsibilities
What you can expect
- Be accessible for advising students through telephone, e-mail, or during posted office
- Provide a safe and comfortable atmosphere for advisement sessions.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Encourage, support and guide students as they define and develop realistic goals and
make progress toward educational plans.
- Effectively communicate and help students navigate the curriculum and graduation requirements
as well as university academic policies and procedures.
- Assist students in understanding the purpose and goals of higher education and its
effects on their lives and personal goals.
- Assist students in working closely with their professors and refer to appropriate
university sources and available services as assistance is needed.
- Assist students in gaining decision making skills and skills in assuming responsibility
for their educational plans and achievements.
- Keep students updated and aware of department policy changes and activities through
the Linkmail system.
What your advisor can expect
- Schedule regular appointments or make regular contacts with advisor during each semester.
- Give notice in advance if you need to reschedule or cancel any advising appointments.
- Come prepared to actively participate in each advisement session by bringing questions,
concerns, or materials for discussion.
- Develop an educational plan for successfully achieving goals; select courses each
semester to progress toward fulfilling that educational plan.
- Enroll in the courses for which you and your advisor have determined that, from educational
objectives, you are ready to pursue.
- Become knowledgeable, as a student, about college programs, policies, and procedures.
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your advisor. Use campus resources
and services to assist in achieving academic, personal and career goals.
- Accept responsibility for decisions.
- Check for official advisor correspondence through Linkmail or an account that you
have forwarded Linkmail on to.