Languages and Cultures Advisors
An academic advisor assists prospective, new, transfer and continuing students throughout
his/her education experience at Utah Valley University. Our advisors will help you
create degree plans, assist in finding campus resources, and career advising.
The Languages and Cultures advisors see students by Language or Degree with an appointment
only. To schedule an appointment to meet with your advisor, contact the main Languages
and Cultures Office at (801) 863-8518. Our advisors are located in the Classroom
Building, 5th floor, Suite 506.
How do I contact my Academic Advisor?
Sarah advises for the following languages and programs:
ASL B.A. ASL & Deaf Studies Education Deaf Studies
Chinese B.A. Deaf Studies - General Chinese Language
French B.A. Deaf Studies - Interpreting French
email@example.com Phone: (801) 863-8518
Office: CB 506n
Kindra advises for the following languages and programs:
Japanese B.A. Spanish Languages
Portuguese B.A. Spanish Education Latin American
firstname.lastname@example.orgPhone: (801) 863-8518
Office: CB 506p
How do I 'test out' of Language Credit?
> Coming Soon<
Bachelor of Arts
Language courses available in: ASL, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese,
Russian, and Spanish
Offerings for other minors
- Chinese Commerce
- Chinese Studies
- Russian Studies
Academic Advisor Responsibilities
What you can expect
- Be accessible for advising students through telephone, e-mail, or during posted office
- Provide a safe and comfortable atmosphere for advisement sessions.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Encourage, support and guide students as they define and develop realistic goals and
make progress toward educational plans.
- Effectively communicate and help students navigate the curriculum and graduation requirements
as well as university academic policies and procedures.
- Assist students in understanding the purpose and goals of higher education and its
effects on their lives and personal goals.
- Assist students in working closely with their professors and refer to appropriate
university sources and available services as assistance is needed.
- Assist students in gaining decision making skills and skills in assuming responsibility
for their educational plans and achievements.
What your advisor can expect
- Schedule regular appointments or make regular contacts with advisor during each semester.
- Give notice in advance if you need to reschedule or cancel any advising appointments.
- Come prepared to actively participate in each advisement session by bringing questions,
concerns, or materials for discussion.
- Develop an educational plan for successfully achieving goals; select courses each
semester to progress toward fulfilling that educational plan.
- Enroll in the courses for which you and your advisor have determined that, from educational
objectives, you are ready to pursue.
- Become knowledgeable, as a student, about college programs, policies, and procedures.
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your advisor. Use campus resources
and services to assist in achieving academic, personal and career goals.
- Accept responsibility for decisions.