Last Update: May 19, 2009
The Utah Valley University Library subscribes to the ALA Statement of Professional
Ethics, which follows:
American Library Association Statement of Professional Ethics
- We provide the highest level of service to all library users through appropriate and
usefully organized resources; equitable service policies; equitable access; and accurate,
unbiased, and courteous responses to all requests.
- We uphold the principles of intellectual freedom and resist all efforts to censor
- We protect each library user's right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to
information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired or transmitted.
- We respect intellectual property rights and advocate balance between the interests
of information users and rights holders.
- We treat co-workers and other colleagues with respect, fairness, and good faith, and
advocate conditions of employment that safeguard the rights and welfare of all employees
of our institutions.
- We do not advance private interests at the expense of library users, colleagues, or
our employing institutions.
- We distinguish between our personal convictions and professional duties and do not
allow our personal beliefs to interfere with fair representation of the aims of our
institutions or the provision of access to their information resources.
- We strive for excellence in the profession by maintaining and enhancing our own knowledge
and skills, by encouraging the professional development of co-workers, and by fostering
the aspirations of potential members of the profession.
Adopted June 28, 1997, by the ALA Council; amended January 22, 2008.