Q. Why can't I log in to the System
- Use your UV ID to log in to the System. If your UV ID does not work, we may not have you in our system. Please call us at ext. 1111, and we will be glad to add you as a user.
Q. Why can’t I see what’s on my laptop projected on the projector?
- Make sure that you have the Laptop source selected on the MEC touch panel. The touch panel will be the only touch panel at the podium.
- Make sure your computer graphics card is capable of outputting a display. You can check this by seeing if there is a physical VGA output on the body of your computer. It’s blue, black, or green and has 15 holes in it.
- Make sure you have the proper connections, or cables. (i.e. VGA, DVI, or proper adapters). You can check these out at the library check-out, first floor. We recommend purchasing the one you need.
- Make sure your display settings are set to either output a display extension, or duplicate your display, or both. You may have to restart your computer before the settings take place. You may need to use a function key in conjunction with another key to execute the display duplication or extension.
- *HELPFUL TIP: Make sure you have experience in duplicating or extending your display before it’s needed for any sort of event or presentation where it is needed.
When should I call Media Services? (ext.1111)
- When you need immediate assistance with the media equipment. (i.e. something isn’t working when you know it should, or has before. )
- If you are faculty, staff, or IT and you are not able to log into the system for any reason. Students are never permitted to log onto an MEC system.
- If you have selected the correct source on the touch panel, and then you’re not seeing or hearing that which need. Also, see other FAQ’s, or Media Services Tutorials.
- When you notice something that we could fix with the smart room. Reporting problems helps us keep things nice for everyone.
- If you need to meet with somebody from Media Services to learn how something works.
- If you need questions answered pertaining to the Media equipment in a given room.
- In the case of theft, or vandalism, please contact UVU Police 863-5555.
- *HELPFUL TIP: The majority of calls we receive are due to inexperience with one’s own personal computer. We are not able to assist in personal technology matters such as fixing a personal computer, lending hardware, and providing software. We recommend that all end users of any brand of computer be well-versed to the needs that they require of their individual computer.
What is a VGA cable? What is a DVI cable?
- VGA and DVI are not the same
- VGA means Video Graphics Array. It is a video/display cable used to transmit video signal to another display source. Please see the Tutorials section for more information. VGA is a graphical standard that all PC graphics hardware are able to implement without driver specific software. This is an analog signal.
- DVI means Digital Video Interface. Designed to replace VGA, it will deliver uncompressed digital data (or digital video signal) to a display. It is partially compatible with VGA standards (DVI-A), and HDMI (DVI-D). Capable to 1920 X 1200 @ 60Hz.
- *HELPFUL TIP: If you have a digital video output, we recommend using a DVI for better color, and video. VGA will downscale colors, and video. Although these cables are available at checkout, they may be abused and may not be dependable. We recommend that you purchase your own VGA or DVI cables. Please see the tutorial section for more information.
Can I get A/V equipment from Media Services?
- No, you cannot. Cables, projectors, screens, flat-screen televisions, adapter cables, are all available at the Library 1st floor checkout.
I need A/V Equipment for an event. Can Media Services help?
- Yes, media services may be able to help. Please visit http://www.uvu.edu/media/services/conference.html for more information.
- *HELPFUL TIP: Be specific in your media needs. We have a variety of A/V equipment, some will fit needs better than others. For example, if you need many people to hear you, a PA system might be helpful, a single microphone by itself will not.
Where can I get the software I need for the Turning Point response system?
- All this software can either be downloaded from www.turningtechnologies.com/downloads or if you’re an employee, you can also download the same software from the help menu in UVLink.
Do I have to have Windows to run turning point software?
- No, there are versions available for Macintosh computers. Please visit www.turningtechnologies.com/downloads or if you’re an employee, you can also download the same software from the help menu in UVLink.
Where is Media Services Located?
- Library, 3rd floor. Room 321.
Does Media Services give away Media Equipment, like old projectors, TV’s etc.?
- No. Per University Standards, all used and retired equipment is sent to surplus for handling.
I’m a student, how come I can’t log in to the MEC systems, or the room computers?
- Only faculty and certain staff members are able log in to systems and room computers. Students are not allowed to log in.
- If you need to use a system you must plan ahead and have a consenting faculty member with you to log in and use the equipment. The faculty member must be with you at all times during the use of the equipment.
Q. Can I get a Cable TV line installed in my office/department?
- Please contact Telephone Services. They can be reached at ext. 8157.
Q. Where can I find a list of Cable Channels available on Campus?
- Right Here...
|26||Animal Planet||58||Comedy Central|
|27||Nickelodeon||59||E! - Entertainment|
|29||The Cartoon Network||61||Discovery|
|30||TLC - The Learning Channel||62||KUTV 2 (CBS)|
|31||CMT - Country Music Television||63||History|
|32||TBS||64||KTVX 4 (ABC)|
|33||Disney Channel||65||KSL 5 (NBC)|
|35||ESPN||67||KUED 7 (PBS)|
|37||The Mtn.||69||KUEN 9|
|38||AMC - American Movie Classic||70||BYU TV|
|39||TNT||71||KBYU 11 (PBS)|
|41||CNN||73||KSTU 13 (FOX)|
|42||CNN Headline News||74||KJZZ 14|
|43||FX||75||KUCW 30 (PAX)|
|44||TruTV||76||KUPX 16 (ION)|
|45||HGTV - Home & Garden||77||UVU 17|
|47||The Weather Channel||79||CSPAN2|
|52||FSN - Fox Sports Net||92|
|55||MTV||101-111||Distance Education Campus Channels|
|56||BET - Black Entertainment TV|