Scheduling a Tutorial
Tutorials are provided free to writers from any field of study. Trained tutors work one-on-one with students to improve overall writing skills and to address specific student or instructor concerns. Tutorials range from 30-60 minutes in length, with a maximum of 60 minutes per day.
Online tutorials serve the same function as face-to-face tutorials but are formed in a chat room-type setting and last up to 50 minutes. Students are required to email their papers at least one hour in advance to the Writing Center, so that the tutor has time to thoroughly read through the assignment.
Setting the Appointment:
To set up a one-on-one tutorial in the lab or an OWL (Online Writing Lab) tutorial:
- Stop by LI 208 (across the hall from the Visual Arts Lab) or
- Call the main lab front desk at 801-863-8936
- Please note that we do not accept emailed reservations at this time
Please plan ahead: drop-in appointments are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. If a student is more than 5-minutes late to his/her appointment, it will be given to the next student in line.
Deciding on the Length:
In 30 minutes we can:
- Discuss 5 pages if we focus on ideas and organization
- Discuss 2 pages if we focus on grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Polish a final draft
- Discuss assignment guidelines
- Focus on specific in-text and reference page citations
- Review a short reading analysis
- Go over resumes and personal statements
In 60 minutes we can:
- Discuss longer papers (6-10 pages)
- Have a more focused discussion on a shorter paper
- Brainstorm, freewrite, and generate solid ideas and develop a draft