Research Writing Resources
The following is a list of research tips and strategies, information resources, evaluation information, and documentation basics.
Research Tips & Strategies
- UVU Library Research Tutorials - This site, created by the Utah Valley University Library, provides beginning to intermediate research tutorials.
- The Research Process - This Penn State University website outlines steps students should take when conducting research and writing a research paper.
- Avoiding Plagiarism (pdf) - This handout covers the basics of avoiding plagiarism, which is essential in producing good research papers.
- Research by Subject - The Utah Valley University Library offers research links to students by academic area.
- Research & Documentation - This site, produced by Bedford St. Martins and Diana Hacker, provides links to discipline-specific resources and documentation.
- Internet Public Library - This is an extensive collection of online resources, including books, journals, magazines, and newspapers.
- Index of Online Books - This site offers thousands of books and is searchable by author, subject, or title.
- Newspaper Voyager - The Newspaper Voyager allows readers to find and read newspapers from every state in the US.
- Critical Evaluation of Resources - This University of Berkeley Library page offers many ways to evaluate books, periodicals, and online resources.
- Evaluating Internet Resources - This website, created by the Infopeople Project, provides an easy checklist of questions to help determine a website's credibility. [Link updated 2/12/09]
- Evaluating Web Pages - This University of Berkeley Library page offers techniques, questions, and examples to help students critique online sources.
- APA Format & Documentation Handout (pdf)
- APA Style Basics - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Writing Center offers essential information for formatting papers in APA. [Link updated: 2/12/09]
- APA FAQs - On this site, the American Psychological Association(APA) provides answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs).
- MLA Format & Documentation Handout (pdf)
- MLA Style Basics - The California State University, Chico, offers essential information for formatting papers in MLA.
- MLA FAQs - On this site, the Modern Language Association (MLA) provides answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs).
- Turabian Format & Documentation Handout - University of Colorado Writing Center offers resources to students. [Link updated: 2/10/09]
- Chicago Style Basics - The Colorado State University Writing Center offers a handout with essential information for formatting papers in Chicago/Turabian.
- Chicago Q&As - On this site, The Chicago Manual of Style provides answers to frequently asked questions.