RMWCA Peer Tutoring Conference
Rocky Mountain Peer Tutoring Conference
"Many Faces: Multiplicity in the Learning and Writing Center"
October 18th—19th, 2013
Sponsored by the Utah Valley University & Community Writing Centers, Orem, Utah
One of the strengths of peer tutoring is our variety of approaches to research, tutoring, training, assessing, developing programs, and so on. This conference will explore the advantages of accepting and promoting a multiplicity of ideas and practices in peer tutoring, rather than clinging to a particular orthodoxy. We encourage presenters to share their models, designs, and approaches to a variety of learning center issues. Consider guiding participants through applications of theories and philosophies and expounding on why such approaches are used and needed in peer tutoring.
Some questions to ponder:
- Does the current literature promote a field of multiplicity? How so?
- How would you describe the ideal role of a tutor for your institution or learning center? How might others adapt your approach?
- What are the “many hats” that tutors and/or administrators wear? Should we wear so many hats?
- How do our centers negotiate multiple identities?
- Does multiplicity create an identity crisis for the “ideal” writing or learning center?
- How does rhetoric and composition or other discipline theory inform writing or learning center work?
- How do we assess multiplicity in the writing or learning center?
Call for Proposals
We invite a wide variety of submissions, including research papers, works in progress, individual presentations, panel discussions, poster presentations, creative works, or any other format that best presents your topic. Tutors, writing fellows, MSG leaders, SI/SLA facilitators, administrators, and patrons are encouraged to present. Individual presentations may last up to 20-minutes, and group presentations may last up to 40-minutes. Please limit proposals to 250 words.
Click on the "Submit Proposal" header above and follow the instructions on the "Submission Form" page. Please attach a Microsoft Word or PDF file. If you have any questions, contact Leigh Ann Copas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-863-8936.
Proposals are due Thursday, August 1st, 2013.
Call for Proposals PDF