|Policy Title:||511 - General Student Fees|
|Type of Policy:||New Policy.|
|Draft Number and Date:|
|President's Council Sponsor:||Michelle Taylor||Ext.||8806|
|Policy Steward:||Shad Sorenson||Ext.|
|Title||General Student Fees||Number||511|
|Section||Student Affairs||Approval Date|
|Subsection||Admissions, Enrollment, Tuition, and Commencement||Effective Date|
1.1 This policy formalizes the process for the creation, review, change, and maintenance of student fees and establishes the process of annual review and recommendation from the General Student Fee Board through UVUSA to President’s Council.
2.1 Utah State Board of Regents’ Policy R510 Tuition and Fees
3.1 General student fee: Any university-wide fee assessed to students. Revenue from these fees is used to pay for programs, facilities, and services that are determined to be essential for the enrichment and broadening of opportunities for students.
3.2 General Student Fee Board: A committee comprised of students and administrators which reviews general student fees each year and makes recommendations on these fees through UVUSA to President’s Council.
4.1 In accordance with Utah law and Utah State Board of Regents (Regents) policy, all general student fees are subject to Regents approval, normally in conjunction with annual determination of tuition rates.
4.2 Internally, the creation, review, and maintenance of general student fees is overseen by the General Student Fee Board (Board). The Board provides recommendations to UVUSA Student Council. UVUSA Student Council considers the Board’s recommendations and approves a proposal for submission to President’s Council. President’s Council reviews UVUSA’s proposal and finalizes a recommendation for consideration by UVU’s Board of Trustees and submission to the Regents for final approval.
4.3 The General Student Fee Board consists of UVUSA Executive Council (student representatives) and Dean of Students (or designee), Director of Budgets (or designee), and Director of Student Leadership and Involvement (or designee).
4.4 The Board is authorized to review and make recommendations concerning all general student fees. Tuition, course fees, and special fees for particular courses, groups, or majors shall not be subject to review by the Board. All general student fees are subject to annual review by the Board.
4.5 The creation of new student fees shall be supported by a demonstrated need, clear statement describing the fee, and a sound budgetary plan.
4.6 The Board shall periodically monitor and annually review general student fees. Processes and discussions shall focus primarily, though not exclusively, on the adequacy of the general student fee in accomplishing the established objective. General student fee account fund balances shall be minimal or, in cases where fund balances are accumulating, be supported by a plan for use of the funding.
4.7 General student fee amounts may be recommended for increase or decrease as necessary to adequately accomplish the stated objective. Changes resulting from a recommended increase shall be supported with adequate documentation describing the rationale for the increase and the planned uses of the additional revenue.
5.1 To fulfill its responsibilities, the Board shall:
1) Annually establish and publish a timeline for the general student fee review and recommendation process;
2) Establish forms and procedures for programs and services to request new, change existing, and eliminate existing general student fees;
3) Request information on general student fee requests that includes a clear statement of the purpose of the fee, the adequacy of the fee, and a plan for using revenue to accomplish the stated purpose;
4) Establish criteria for evaluating general student fee requests;
5) Consider requests for general student fees and provide recommendations to the UVUSA Student Council for their action and submission of final recommendation to President’s Council;
6) Obtain and review financial reports and budgets for general student fee accounts and, as determined appropriate, make them available to the students and campus community;
7) Establish thresholds for fund balances and request and review plans for use of accumulating fund balances.
5.2 The Board may require an annual report from each general student fee program manager.
5.3 A current copy of the procedures, timeline, and other information shall be maintained in the Office of the Dean of Students.