Utah Valley University
Policies and Procedures
|Title||Campus Walkway Safety Policy||Number||429|
|Section||Facilities, Operations, and Information Technology||Approval Date||Jun 13,2007|
|Subsection||Facilities and Scheduling||Effective Date||Jun 13,2007|
To provide a safe environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors using sidewalks.
Bicycles, skateboards and rollerblades shall be allowed provided the operator exercises care and responsible caution to prevent injury to others and property.
- A permit to operate a motor vehicle on sidewalks may be issued by the Associate Vice President for Facilities, or designee. Permits will only be issued when the requesting department or individual justifies the need to operate vehicles on sidewalks for a specific event or task. Permits must be prominently displayed on the vehicle as directed when issued so that relevant information can be observed from outside the vehicle.
- The following motorized vehicles may operate on sidewalks without a permit due to the specific service they provide:
- Public emergency vehicles.
- Law enforcement vehicles.
- Institution golf carts, ATV's, used for college business, not intended for road use.
- Vehicles dropping off individuals with physical disabilities for work, classes or other business at the institution during inclement weather.
- Other vehicles specifically required to mitigate emergencies and catastrophic events.
- Permits shall specify the authorized use, including the route to be followed, the expiration period, and the purpose for traveling on sidewalks.
- Outside vendors and contractors must obtain permits, which shall be requested by the department or unit receiving the services or sponsoring the event.
- Unless otherwise approved, a vehicle may not be left parked on the sidewalk. After unloading equipment, materials, tools, etc. the vehicle must be moved to an appropriate parking stall.
- Vehicles operated on sidewalks must not exceed a speed limit of 5 mph.
- Violations of Policy
- Any person may contact the University Police dispatch to report a violation of this policy.
- Violators may be given a citation by Parking Services and/or University Police and vehicles may be impounded. Drivers of institution vehicles will be personally responsible for citations, as will registered owners of other vehicles.
- Violation notices will be processed and settled through the offices of Parking Services in accordance with the rules governing parking violation notices.
- Every person riding a bicycle, skateboard or rollerblades shall yield the right of way to pedestrians at all times.
- No person riding a bicycle, skateboard or rollerblades shall exceed a reasonable and proper speed under the circumstances then and there existing. In no event shall any person ride a bicycle at a speed greater than 10 miles per hour upon any sidewalk or pedestrian pathway.
- Bicycles, skateboards or rollerblades shall not be ridden upon any ramp, stairway, wall, bench, fountain, or other structure or facility or on or over shrubbery, grass or flower beds. Bicycles shall not be ridden within any building.
- Bicycles shall not be parked in the public areas of any building, including but not limited to hallways, stairwells, and classrooms. Bicycles shall not be parked at or near any building entrance or exit in such a manner as to impede the free and clear use of such areas.
- Bicycles shall not be parked at or attached to any fire hydrant, standpipe, building service equipment or other safety device.
- These regulations will be enforced against students, staff and faculty by violation notices which will be processed and settled through the office of Parking Services.