Utah Valley University
Policies and Procedures
|Title||Student Records Access (Student Privacy/FERPA)||Number||542|
|Section||Student Affairs||Approval Date||Feb 10,2005|
|Subsection||Student Rights||Effective Date||Feb 10,2005|
- Utah Valley University will adhere to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.
- Upon presentation of appropriate identification and under circumstances which preclude alteration or mutilation of records, a student will be able to inspect all records relating to him/herself which are not considered by the institution to be private records of institution Personnel. A student is entitled to an explanation of any recorded data and may initiate action leading to a hearing if necessary, to correct or expunge information he or she considers inaccurate or misleading.
- Faculty and administrative officers who have a legitimate need to use student records will be allowed access to such records without prior permission from the student. A request from an educational institution to which the student has applied for admission, or from an institution or agency from which the student is seeking financial assistance, will be granted with the student's permission. Data will be furnished to university accrediting bodies and government officials without permission of the student.
- No student information other than directory information will be given to any third party (except those mentioned above) without written consent of the student, and then only those records accessible to the student. The term 'third party' is construed to include parents, employers, government agencies, or any other people or organization.
- Parents or guardians may have access to grade reports of a student's activity if the parents establish to the satisfaction of the institution Records Officer that they are providing one-half or more of the student's support.
- Court orders and subpoenas for records will be referred to the Director of Admissions and acted upon according to his/her directions. The institution will make a reasonable effort to notify the student prior to release of information in response to the subpoenas or court orders.
- Directory information will be released to news media and to others upon request. Directory information is defined as follows:
- Name of student
- Telephone number of student
- Hometown city and state of student
- Verification of current enrollment
- Dates of enrollment
- Degrees conferred, dates, major or field of concentration and honors received
- Students may request, at any time, through the Admissions and Records Office of the institution, that Directory information be withheld by submitting a Request to Withhold Directory Information form.