Recommended Extracurricular Activities
Consider planning out your extra-curricular activities by semester, just like your
pre-requisite courses. Starting early helps avoid the stress associated with cramming
everything into the last few semesters prior to the application.
Minimum Recommended Extra-curricular Activities
- Dental Experience: Most schools say that 100 hours shadowing or other dental related
experience is common for students who have been accepted.
- Volunteer Service: 45 hours service in your community (ideally under represented populations)
during each of the pre-dental years including the year of application. What you learned
is more important than how many hours you did.
- Leadership: 3 different leadership positions during the pre-dental years
- Research: 45 hours during the pre-dental years. Research is not required, but is highly
recommended and should be hypothesis-based in any subject
- Healthcare Experience: 50-100 hours of shadowing/experience showing you can work with
Back to Pre-Dental Page