Limited Purchase Checks
Limited Purchase Checks (LPCs) may be used by departments for small dollar purchases
up to the limit printed on the face of the check. These checks are prepared by the
ordering department and are delivered to the vendor. Persistent improper use of the
Limited Purchase Check program will result in withdrawal of the privilege to use this
means of making small dollar purchases and may result in disciplinary action for fraudulent
Click a topic below for more information.
- All expenditures using LPCs must comply with all conditions outlined in the LPC Manual
and University Policy. A link to the Appropriateness of Expenditures Policy can be
found below. For examples of appropriate food purchases and the required level of
approval, click the Food Approval link above.
- Policy 204: Appropriateness of Expenditures.
Returning documentation for used LPCs
- Documentation related to a purchase made using an LPC must be returned to the Purchasing
Office within five business days. The appropriate documentation includes: the Purchasing
copy of the check, appropriate approval (if applicable), and the original receipte.
- The individual making the purchase should include a short justification for the expenditure
on the Purchasing Copy of the check.
- It is unlawful to knowingly and intentionally split a transaction to avoid the limit
printed on the face of the LPC. If the total amount of the expenditure exceeds the
limit printed on the LPC, the LPC cannot be used to complete the transaction. Procurement
Service may provide an exception in writing allowing a department to use more than
one check to complete a transaction. An exception will only be granted if it is found
that an LPC is the only way to complete the transaction.
- Limited Purchase Checks can be used to complete a transaction at Costco.
- Click here for more information.