M. Ed., BYU, Provo , UT - 1989
B.A., Spanish, BYU, Provo , UT â€“ 1986
Sales Director: Hospitality Associates, Orem , UT â€“ 10/04-6/05
General Manager: Hospitality Associates, Laie Inn, Laie , HI - 2/93-10/04
Adjunct Faculty: BYU-Hawaii, Spanish, Laie , HI 9/02-4/04
Kapiolani Community College , Hospitality Law, Honolulu , HI 2/04-6/04
Independent Contractor: Sales, installation, and service with several manufacturing and sales
companies - 9/88-2/93
Director: BYU-Hawaii Food Services, Laie , HI - 1/87-9/88
Program Coordinator/Instructor: Hospitality Management/Management courses, BYUH, UVU
* Full charge responsibility for managing in hospitality industry including hotel and food services in
large organizations. Including operations, sales and marketing, employee relations, budgeting,
financial control, planning, organizing, business development and guest relations.
* Adjunct Faculty, Hospitality Law AH&LA Certification Course Instructor
* Adjunct Faculty, Spanish Instructor, beginning to intermediate courses
*Faculty, Hospitality Management and Management courses
MARKETING, PROMOTION AND RECRUITMENT
* Presenter at major travel trade shows promoting Hawaii as a visitor destination.
* Developed new customer and vendor accounts maintaining contact and focused on customer
quality service and improvement throughout the Hawaiian Islands, Alaska and western U.S.
* Designed business advertising.
* Initiated meetings with prominent local leaders to promote facilities and programs.
* Created hotel/recreation packages for guests.
* Coordinated with related work areas to develop and promote special events including meal
catering, housing, concessions, workshops, conferences and conventions.
* Recruited hotel property managers to join industry associations.
* Participated in performing ensembles to promote college recruiting efforts.
*HM Program Coordinator promoting HM program to High Schools, Hospitality organizations.
* Full responsibility to set up and operate new restaurant, including 24 hour operations, direct
customer relations, menu content and design, work flow, tools and equipment, and
standardization of operational processes.
* Managed three organizational food service units involving an average of 4500 meals each day.
* Managed 24 hour operation of 49 room hotel property.
*Managed University snack bar as a "laboratory food service operation"
BUDGETING, FINANCIAL, PURCHASING AND CONTROL
* Prepared budgets and implement cost controls that resulted in increased profits.
* Set up initial inventory control and purchasing system on computer.
* Responsible for commodity and labor cost control, service and product quality control, safety and
* Analyzed monthly payroll and financial reports and made applicable decisions.
*Responsible for several University Banner (Financial charge) accounts.
* Developed restaurant, buffet and catering menus.
* Designed, planned and implemented customer service enhancements.
* Designed printed forms to aid management control of employees.
* Translated company policies, procedures and forms into Spanish
*Increased HM Program size through marketing to High Schools, state and national HM and educational organizations .
SUPERVISION AND TRAINING
* Hired, trained, supervised, scheduled, and evaluated hundreds of employees over 20 years.
* Handled employee suggestions and concerns expeditiously.
* Advocate of team management concept.
* Developed employee policies and procedures.
* Prepared topics of instruction and conducted employee training sessions.
*Faculty club advisor for students of several universities.
* Active member of administrative organizations and structured committees.
* Facilitated frequent use of teams and participative management with employees.
*University Club Advisor of several nationally recognized student clubs.
VOLUNTEER AND COMMUNITY SERVICE:
Provo College Board of Directors â€“ Hospitality Advisory Board â€“ UT
American Hotel & Lodging Association â€“ National Academic Advisory Committee
BYU Hawaii Alumni Board of Directors â€“ HI and UT Chapters
BYU Hawaii Student Spanish Club advisor â€“ HI
BYU Hawaii Student Association movie committee advisor â€“ HI
Sterling Scholar High School Competition Judge â€“ HI
DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America ) Competition Judge - HI
Koolauloa Education Alliance Corporation President â€“ HI (also board member)
Kahuku Community Civic Association President â€“ HI (also board member)
Kahuku SCBM (School Community Based Management) President - HI
Kahuku High School PTSO (Parent, Teacher, Student Organization) Vice President - HI
Hawaii Hotel Association, Board of Directors - President of the SPAC â€“ (Small
Properties Action Committee) serving as recruiter of small properties - HI
Polynesian Cultural Center Special Events Committee - HI
Native Hawaii Tourism & Hospitality Association Charter Member - recruiter â€“ HI
Civil Defense - Area Captain - HI, UT
Utah State Office of Education - Migrant Education recruiter - UT
Emergency Medical Technician - ID, NV, UT
Volunteer Fire Fighter - ID, NV, UT
Volunteer Missionary, LDS Church - Uruguay
Eta Sigma Delta club advisor - UVU
National Minorities in Hospitality Club advisor - UVU
Utah Hotel & Lodging Association "Stars of the Industry" award Committee Director
American Hotel and Lodging Association Education Advisory Committee member
I-CHRIE Education Advisory Committee member
AWARDS, TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION:
BYUH Teacher of the Year 2004 finalist â€“ Student nominated
Certified Hotel Administrator certification 1995
Dale Carnegie Course, graduate
Other seminars and specialized training:
* Employee Relations
* Total Quality Management
* Customer Service
* Strategic Planning, Budgeting and Control
* Hospitality Associates Management training
* Inventory Control Systems
* Safety and Sanitation Control
* Menu Strategy and Planning
* Violence in the Workplace
* Emergency Planning & Management