Ph.D.University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Emphasis: Plant Biology. 2001. Dissertation: Enhancer and gene trap analysis of the light signaling circuitry in Arabidopsis thaliana. Advisor: Dr. Albrecht von Arnim
M.S.University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Emphasis: Plant Tissue culture. Thesis: Heavy metal, salts and osmotic pressure effect on shoot regeneration from leaf explants of Dendranthema grandiflora. Advisor: Dr. Robert N. Trigiano
B.S.Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogotá
Thesis: In vitro propagation of Statice (Limonium sinuatum Mill.). Advisor: Dr. Margarita Perea Dallos
- Associate Professor - Utah Valley University, Orem, UT. Fall 2009-Present
- Assistant Professor - Utah Valley University, Orem, UT. Fall 2003-2009
- Invited Research Professor - Michigan State University. Chloroplast 2010 Project. -Summer 2007
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN. Spring 2002-Fall 2003.
OTHER TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Graduate Teaching Assistant - University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN. Fall 1995 – Fall 2001.
- Teaching Assistant - Universidad Nacional de Colombia. Plant tissue culture laboratory-Spring 1989 – Spring 1991.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Hill, P., Gutierrez, B., Carmack, L. and Kopp O.R. (2015). Micropropagation of Astragalus holmgreniorum (Holmgren milkvetch), an endemic and endangered species. Plant Cell Tiss. Organ Cult. 121: 371-387. DOI 10.1007/s 11240-015-0708-4
- Leung, W., Shaffer, C.D….Kopp, O.R. … Elgin, S.C.R. (2015). Drosophila Muller F elements maintain a distinct set of genomic properties over 40 million years of evolution. Genes/Genomes/Genetics. March 4, 2015. DOI: 10.1534/g3.114.015966
Beck, S., Todorov, T., & Kopp, O. (2015). Induction of Callus on Capsicum annuum: The First Step Toward Micropropagation. The Journal of the Utah Academy of Science, Arts, & Letters, 91, 31-41
- Lopatto,D., Hauser, C, ... Silver Key, C., Kokan, N., Kopp, O.R., Kuleck, G.A., ... Shaffer,C.D.,Threlfall, J., Elgin, S.C.R) (2014). A Central Support System Can Facilitate Implementation and Sustainability of a Classroom-Based Undergraduate Research Experience (CURE) in Genomics. CBE Life Sciences Education. 13(4): 711-723 DOI: 10.1187/cbe.13-10-0200
- Shaffer CD, Alvarez CJ, ... Kokan NP, Kopp O, Kuleck G, Leatherman J, ... Leung W, Lopatt D, Elgin SCR. (2014). A course-based research experience: How benefits change with increased investment in instructional time. Cell Biology Education - Life Science Education 13(1): 111-130. DOI: 10.1187/cbe-13-08 0152
- Shaffer CD, Alvarez C, Bailey C, ... Kaehler M, Kokan N, Kopp OR, Kuleck GA, McNeil G, ... Mardis ER, Lopatto D, Elgin SCR. (2010). The Genomics Education partnership: successful integration of Research into laboratory classes at a diverse group of undergraduate institutions. Cell Biology Education-Life Sciences Education. 9: 55-69. doi: 10.1187/09-11-0087.
- Lopatto, D., C. Alvares, D. Barnard, C. Chandrasekaran, H.M. Chung, C. Du, T. Eckdahl, A.L. Goodman, C. Hauser, C.J. Jones, O.R. Kopp, G.A. Kuleck, ... W. Leung, C.D. Shaffer, J. Buhler, E. Mardis, S.C.R. Elgin. (2008). Genomics Education Partnership. Science. 322: 684-685. DOI: 10.1126/Science.1165351.
- Breinholt JW, Van Buren RV, Kopp OR, Stephen CL. (2009). Population Genetic structure of an endangered Utah endemic Astragalus ampullarioides (Fabaceae) (Welsh) Welsh. American Journal of Botany 96(3): 661-667. DOI: 10.3732/ajb.0800035
- Jarvis, D. E., O.R. Kopp, E.N. Jellen, M.A. Mallory, J. Pattee, A. Bonifacio, C.E. Coleman, M.R. Stevens, D.J. Fairbanks, P.J. Maughan. (2008). Simple Sequence Repeat Marker Development and Genetic Mapping in Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.). Journal of Genetics 87(1): 39-51 DOI: 10.1007/s12041-008-0006-6
- Normand P, Lapierre P, Tisa LS, Gogarten JP, Alloisio N, Bagnaron E, Bassi CA, Berry AM, Bickhart DM, Choisne N, Couloux A, Cournover B, Cruveiller S, Daubin V, Demange N, Francino MP, Goltsman E, Huang Y, Kopp OR, Labarre L, Lapidus A, Lavire C, Marechal J, Martinez M, Mastronunzio JE, Mullin BC, Nieman J, Pujic P, Rawnsley T, Rouy Z, Schenowits C, Sellstedt A, Tavares F, Tomkins JP, Vallenet D, Valverde C, Wall LG, Wang Y, Medigue C, Benson DR. (2007) Genome characteristics of facultative symbiotic Frankia sp. strains reflect host range and host plant biogeography Genome Res. 17(1): 7 – 15 DOI: 10.1101/gr.5798407
- Stacey, M.G., Kopp, O.R., Kim, T.H. and von Arnim, A.G. (2000). Molecular domain structure of Arabidopsis COP1. Reconstitution of activity by fragment complementation and mutational analysis of a nuclear localization signal in planta. Plant Phys. 124(3): 979-990.
Other publications (Book chapters, non-peer reviewed publications)
Todorov, T., Zauner, R. and Kopp, O.R. (2016). Astragalus: A Review of its medicinal uses and health effects. Advances in Medicine and Biology, Volume 100. Berhardt L.V. (Editor). Chapter 1. Nova Publishers. ISBN 978-1-63485-304-0
Beck, S., Todorov, T. and Kopp, O.R. (2014). Induction of callus on Capsicum annuum: the first step toward micropropagation. The Journal of the Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts, & Letters. Vol 91: 31-41.
Kopp, O.R. (2012) 21st Century Guidebook to Fungi review. Plant Science Bulletin. Botanical Society of America. 58(2): 69-70.
Rawlings D.J., Hill, P.R., Gutierrez, B., Martínez J.C. (O. Kopp). (2012). Research in the Classroom: Cloning and sequencing of the GAPDH gene as a tool in the molecular biology classroom. Proceedings of the National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) 2012. Weber State University, Ogden Utah
McGowan B and Kopp, O.R. (2009). Bioprospecting in a global environment. The New Globalism. Proceedings of the 10th Annual Utah Valley University Conference by the Faculty. Utah Valley University. Pages 40-45
Kuddus, R.H., J. Oakes, C.L. Sharp, J. Scott, K. Slater, J.J. Kirsi, O.R. Kopp, W.R. Burt. (2009). Isolation of medically important fungi from Ginkgo biloba leaves and crude ginkgo supplements. The Internet Journal of Microbiology. Vol 7(1) http://ispub.com/IJMB/7/1/5059
Kopp, O.R., Samson, A., Wilson-Ashworth, H. (2007). Lab Manual. College Biology I. Biology 1610. Pearson Custom Publishing.
Kopp, O. (2007). Historical review of unethical experimentation in humans. Ethics in the professions. Proceedings of the 8th annual Utah Valley State college conference by the faculty. Edited by Rick McDonald & David Yells. Pp.2-11
Kuddus R, Oakes J and Kopp OR (2006). Globalization and international molecular biotechnology transfer: Ethical, technological and organizational issues. Spheres of globalization. Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Utah Valley State College Conference by the Faculty.
Ruiz-Marín, O., Augé, R.M. and Trigiano, R.N. (2001) Effect of heavy metals in the regeneration in vitro of Chrysanthemum. In: Biotecnología agrícola. M. Perea Dallos (Ed). Editora Guadalupe. Bogotá. pp.89-98.
Evensen, A., Belnap, C., El-Saidi, M. and Kopp, O.R. 2016. Effects of locular gel removal on germination of Solanum lycopersicum. Botanical Society of America meeting, July 30-August 3, 2016
Todorov, T., Zauner, R. and Kopp, O.R. 2016. Astragalus: Traditional medicinal herb to modern medicine. Botanical Society of America meeting, July 30-August 3, 2016
Lindow, a., Cotton-Betteridge, Peterson D. and Kopp, O.R. 2016. Ephedra nevadensis endophytic competition and analysis of antifungal activity. Engaged Learning Week. March 20, 2016.
Bowers, A., Smith, D., and Kopp, O.R. 2016. Preliminary studies for induction of polyploidy in Raphanus sativus. Engaged Learning Week. March 29, 2016.
Todorov, T., Zauner, R. and Kopp, O.R. 2016. Astragalus: A review of its medicinal uses and health effects. Engaged Learning Week. March 29, 2016.
Harris R., Carreon J. and Kopp, O.R. 2016. Preliminary studies of organogenesis in Ocimum basilicum using Kinetin. 2016. UCUR. SLC. Feb 19,2016.
Mathison, H. Beck, S., Todorov, T. and Kopp, O.R. 2016. A review of the phytochemistry and ethnopharmacology of Tridax procumbens. UCUR. SLC Feb 19, 2016.
Medrano, G.Y., Tingey C. and Kopp, O.R. 2016. Organogenesis studies in Thai Pepper (Capsicum annuum). UCUR, SLC, Feb 19, 2016.
Beck S and Kopp OR (2015) Micropropagation studies of Capsicum annum – Var Moruga Scorpion. Botanical Society of America. Edmonton, Canada. July 25-29, 2015
Gaffney G, Stratton S, Gibbs M and Kopp OR (2015) Preliminary studies of Ephedra nevadensis endophytes with potential antibiotic activity. Botanical Society of America. Edmonton, Canada. July 25-29, 2015
Todorov T, Tingey C and Kopp OR (2015) Inducing somatic embryogenesis on the Thai (Capsicum annuum) callus. Botanical Society of America. Edmonton, Canada. July 25-29, 2015
Houston L, Wethall J, Curtis C, Kopp O (2014). Analysis of Gene expression in Arachis hypogaea. Botanical Society of America. Boise, Idaho. July 26-30, 2014
Beck S, Todorov T and Kopp O.R. (2014) Micropropagation studies of Capsicum annuum. Botanical Society of America. Boise, Idaho. Idaho. July 26-30, 2014
Velasco MJ and Kopp OR (2014) Propagation studies of Calochortus species. UCUR – BYU Provo.
Houston L, Mead J, Curtis C and Kopp O (2014) Preliminary gene expression studies of Ara h1 and Ara h2 in peanuts (Arachis hypogaea). UCUR – BYU Provo.
Worthington I, Kopp OR. 2013. Biofuels: Engineering Anabaena for Methylbutanol production. NCUR – University of Wisconsin – La Crosse, April 11-13, 2013.
Tregaskis D, Cook C, Smiley J, North T and Kopp OR (2013) Construction of a scytonemin-GFP reporter vector for analysis of gene expression in Fremyella diplosiphon. UCUR, Utah State University, Logan, February 22, 2013.
Worthington I, Zhou R, chen K and Kopp O.R. (2013) Genetic engineering of cyanobacteria to produce methyl butenol. NCUR and UCUR poster presentation. UCUR – Utah State University, Logan February 22, 2013.
Worthington I, Kopp OR. 2013. Biofuels: Engineering Anabaena for Methylbutanol production. NCUR – University of Wisconsin – La Crosse, April 11-13, 2013.
McGowan B A, Babaoka J and Kopp OR (2012) Micropropagation of Astragalus holmgreniorum. UCUR.
Jenson WT, Ramirez MR and Kopp OR (2012) Scytonemin studies and long-term storage of Fremyella diplosiphon. UCUR- Weber State University- February 2012.
Told J, Cook C. (2012). Analysis of the effect of different wavelenghts of light in the growth of Fremyella diplosiphon. Botanical Society of America meeting. July 2012
Rawlings DJ, Hill PR, Gutierrez B, Martinez JC, Smith TA, Abreau SD and Kopp OR (2012) Cloning and sequencing the GAPC gene in the undergraduate molecular biology classroom. Botanical Society of America meeting. July 2012.
Martinez JC, Hill PR, Gutierrez B, Smith TA, Abreau SD., Kopp OR. (2012) JCMII poster presentation. March 22, 2012.
Ramirez M and Jenson WT (2012). Isolation of Scytonemin, a UV-blocking compound in cyanobacteria Fremyella diplosiphon. UCUR, Weber State.
Rawlings DJ, Hill PR, Gutierrez B, Martinez JC, Smith TA, Abreau SD and Kopp OR (2012) Research in the classroom: cloning and sequencing the GAPC gene from multiple plant species in the undergraduate learning of molecular biology. NCUR. 2012. https://ncurdb.cur.org/ncur2016/archive/Display_NCUR.aspx?id=63000
Cook C, Told J, Kopp OR (2012). The morphological plasticity in Fremyella diplosiphon when exposed to low nutrient growth media. UCUR poster presentation. July, 2012.
Gutierrez B, Hill P and Kopp OR. (2011) Fungal Pathogens of Pinus longaeva. UCUR conference.
Fry, A.R., McGowan BA, Babaoka, J. Searly A, Van Buren R. and Kopp OR. (2009) In vitro propagation studies in Astragalus holmgreniorum. Fifth Southwest Rare Plant Conference: Changing Landscapes in the Southwest. Salt Lake City, March 16-20, 2009.
Fry, A.R., McGowan BA, Babaoka, J. Searly A, Van Buren R. and Kopp OR. (2009) Micropropagation studies in Astragalus holmgreniorum. UCUR, Westminster college, February 20, 2009.
Breinholt JW, Van Buren R, Kopp OR and Stephen CL (2009). Population Genetic structure of an endangered Utah endemic Astragalus ampullarioides (Fabaceae) (Welsh) Welsh. 2009. Fifth Southwest Rare Plant Conference: Changing Landscapes in the Southwest. Salt Lake City, March 16-20, 2009.
Calvin Bell, Jaron Larsen, Peter J. Maughan, Michael R. Stevens, Craig E. Coleman, Eric N. Jellen and Olga R. Kopp. (2007) Preliminary studies of micropropagation of Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd). Annual Winter Meeting 2008. Western Section of the American Society of Plant Biologists. Utah Valley State College. Orem, UT. February 22 and 23, 2008.
Jarvis DE, Kopp OR , Jellen EN, Mallory MA, Pattee J, Bonifacio A, Coleman CE, Stevens MR, Fairbanks DJ, Maughan PJ* (2007) Simple Sequence Repeat Development, Polymorphism and Genetic Mapping in Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.). McKnight Foundation, Collaborative Crop Research Program Biennial Grantees Conference. Paris, France
Joshua S. Bentley, Scott W. Robertson, Olga R. Kopp. 2007. Characterization of the bacterial population of the red gypsiferous soil supporting the growth of the endangered species Arctomecon humilis. Utah Conference on Undergraduate Research (UCUR). University of Utah. February 2, 2007. University of Utah. Salt Lake City.
Joshua S. Bentley, Scott W. Robertson, Olga R. Kopp. 2007. Characterization of the microbiota of the soil where Arctomecon humilis grows. American Society for Microbiology. Annual meeting of the Intermountain Branch. March 10, 2007.
Olga R. Kopp, Melanie Mallory, Christina McArthur, Justin Pattee, Eric N. Jellen, Mikel R. Stevens, Daniel J. Fairbanks, Craig E. Coleman, Peter J. Maughan. Development of Microsatellite markers for Chenopodium quinoa. Plant and Animal Genomes conference. San Diego, California. January 14-18, 2006.
Rakesh K. Gupta, John Dunlap, Svetlana V. Dobritsa, Cynthia A. Stiles, Michael E. Essington, Zhaoyang Liu, Chung-Hsuan Chen, Engin H. Serpersu, Olga Ruiz Kopp and Beth C. Mullin. Metallohistins: A new class of proteins with potential for use in the development of phytoremediation systems. 13th International Symposium on Frankia and Actinorhizal Plants Durham, NH, Aug. 1-4, 2004.
Brook Nelson, Olga R. Kopp, Ying Wang & Beth C. Mullin. In search of the biological role of actinorhizal nodulin AgNt84.13th International Symposium on Frankia and Actinorhizal Plants Durham, NH, Aug. 1-4, 2004.
Lowe, R., B. Blackmon1, D. Main, O.R. Kopp, B.C Mullin, and J. Tomkins. Development of a Physical Framework for the Frankia Genome. 13th International Symposium on Frankia and Actinorhizal Plants Durham, NH, Aug. 1-4, 2004.
- Sixth Annual Scholarship of Teaching & Engagement (SoTE) conference at UVU – 2016: Reducing the drudgery of “Group work” with Team-Based. March 27, 2016.
- Science Association of Women – Club Activity – 2014 - Women in science research. November 14, 2014. Room SB 136.
- Scholarship of Teaching and Engagement (SoTE) conference. 2013. Harnessing the Power of student engagement with Team-Based Learning. Andersen B, Emerman S and Kopp O. 2013 March 28-29, 2013. Utah Valley University.
- UVU Pre-Freshman Engineering Program (PREP) –June 2013 and July 2014 Carnivorous plants, June 21, 2013 and July 2014.
- Second Annual Intermountain PreMed and Pre-PA Conference – 2012 –: Research opportunities for undergraduates. Utah Valley University, May 18, 2012.
- Utah Rare Plant meeting – March 9th, 2010, University of Utah. Presentation: Astragalus holmgreniorum, Utah’s and Arizona’s Endemic species. Aaron R. Fry, Brett A. McGowan, Julianne Babaoka, Ally Searly, Renee Van Buren and Olga R. Kopp.
- Tenth Annual Utah Valley University Conference by the Faculty: What Role for the United States in the New Globalism? The U.S. Role in Bioprospecting in Underdeveloped countries. January 21, 2009.
- Ethics Awareness week 2009. Panel discussion on Medical Ethics: Should Nutraceuticals be regulated. September 23, 2009, Library Auditorium LI 120, 12-12:50 p.m.
- Internship opportunities for undergraduates: December 3, 2008. UVU
- Ethics of biotechnology in food agricultural products. The ethics of handling food in multicultural societies. Panel Discussion on the Ethics Awareness Week. September 17, 2008.
- Historical Review of unethical experimentation with humans. The 2007 Ethics Conference. Utah Valley State College.
- Ethical issues of agricultural plant biotechnology. September 21, 2006. At the: Ethics of biotechnology and bioengineering issues. Ethics awareness week, UVU.
- Research and internship opportunities for undergraduates. Organized by the Pre-Med club. February 17, 2006
- Teaching DNA Science: Resources available at the DNA learning center (CSHL) for high school and undergraduate education. Biology Seminar. September 22, 2004.
- GTA seminar on college teaching 2000. Participated as part of the panel entitled "Outstanding GTAs discuss teaching". Knoxville, August 16, 2000 and August 19, 1998 (University of Tennessee).
- Second National Meeting of Plant Biotechnology organized by Aceviv (Colombian Association for Plant Tissue Culture). Bogotá, June 1991.
- College of Science and Health Dean’s Award of Excellence – Scholarship. February 2016.
- UVU Department of Biology – Outstanding Faculty – 2014-2015.
- Nomination for the Council on Undergraduate Research – Biology Division Mentor Awards. September 2015.
- Board of Trustees Award of Excellence 2009-2010 (May 2010)
- UVU Thinks Big – Utah Valley University – September 22, 2011
- Nomination for the Faculty Excellence Award in the College of Science and Health – 2010.
- Wolverine Achievement Award- Full Time Faculty of the Year (finalist) 2009-2010.
- Outstanding Educator of the Year Award. UVU. 2007-2008.
- Teacher of the Semester Award (Athletes’ choice) – Spring 2005
- Nomination for Faculty of the year award 2007.
- Nomination for Faculty of the year award 2006
- Summer Faculty NSF fellowship – Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, July 12-30, 2004.
- Arthur E. Yates Graduate Fellowship – Academic year 2000-2001. University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Chancellor's Outstanding GTA Award. University of Tennessee, Knoxville.1998.
- The Raymond W. Holton Award. Graduate student Teaching award - 1998-1999.
- Council of Undergraduate Research (CUR) workshop – Institutionalizing Undergraduate Research. University of San Diego – April 10-12, 2015.
- Ninth Annual Utah Conference on Undergraduate Research: February 27, 2015. Poster presentation – (students presenting: Samantha Beck and Toma Todorov) – Dixie State University, St. George.
- Sixth Annual Scholarship of Teaching and Engagement conference at UVU. March 27-March 28, 2014.
- Science Education for New Civic Engagements and Responsibilities (SENCER) – 2013. Santa Clara University, August 1-5, 2013
- Fourth Annual Scholarship of Teaching and Engagement Conference, Reaching New Heights Through Engagement. 2012 - Utah Valley University, March 22-23, 2012.
- Mythinkinglab training. Measuring your students’ learning: Gathering and analyzing student success data. March 30, 2012. Organized by Pearson Education.
- Third Annual Scholarship of Teaching and Engagement Conference. Utah Valley University, March 25-26, 2011 (presented research about Mastering Biology and student success).
- Teaching Academy – 2010. UVU Center for Teaching Excellence.
- National Association of Biology Teachers. Memphis, TN. October 15-18, 2008. Attended a variety of teaching workshops.
- Tradeline – Leading Edge Resources for Facilities Planning and Management. 2008. October 27-October 28, 2008. San Diego, CA.
- American society for Microbiology. Annual meeting of the Intermountain Branch. March 10th, 2007. Idaho State University.
- Council for Undergraduate Research: Institutionalizing Undergraduate Research. October 13-15, 2006. Harvey Mudd College. Claremont, CA.
- Institute in Functional Genomics and Bioinformatics. Funded by the National Science Foundation: July 31- August 4, 2006. University of California Davis.
- Genome Annotation workshop: Washington University – St. Louis. June 18-20, 2006 Funded by NSF.
- Plant and Animal Genome XIV conference. San Diego. January 14,-18, 2006
- GCAT – NSF supported DNA microarrays workshop. Morehouse College, Biology Department. Atlanta, GA. July 27- August 1, 2005.
- Bridging research and teaching workshop: June 21, 2005. Washington University. St. Louis.
- Teaching workshop: Model organisms to Bedside. June 22-24, 2005. Washington University, St. Louis.
- Case Studies in Science Summer workshop. University at Buffalo, State University of New York. May 23-27, 2005.
- National Science Foundation Fellowship. Summer 2004. Cold Spring Harbor July 12-30, 2004. Training in teaching plant molecular genetics and genomics.
- Embryogenesis: Molecules, morphogens and mountains: Southwest and Gulf Regional society for Developmental Biology Meeting. September 19-21, 2003. Salt Lake City, UT.
- Bioquest summer workshop: Biocomplexity in undergraduate education: from hard data to hard decisions. June 15-23, 2002. Beloit College. Beloit, WI.
- Science with Fast Plants. University of Wisconsin, Madison. January 14-16, 2000.
- Annual Winter meeting of the Western Section of the American Society of Plant Biologists. February 22 and 23, 2008.
- Plant molecular Genetics and bioinformatics workshop. 2007 for high school teachers in Utah (collaboration with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory).
- Bioinformatics workshop at UVSC taught by staff from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI- Washington). August 14 and 15, 2006.
- Organized a Plant Molecular Genetics and Bioinformatics workshop for High School and Junior College Faculty in collaboration with the Dolan DNA Learning Center (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory). June 6-8, 2005.
Courses taught at UVU:
- BIO 1010 – General Biology for non-majors.
- BIO 1610 – College Biology
- BIO 494R – Seminar
- BOT 4430 – Plant Pathology
- BOT 4600, 4605 – Plant Physiology and Plant physiology laboratory
- BOT 4700 – Plant Tissue Culture
- BOT 3800 – Ethnobotany
- BIO 489R – Student Research
- BIO 499R – Senior Thesis