GARY H. NAISBITT, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Biochemistry, Brigham Young University
Post Doc. Dept Medicine, Univ. Calif. San Diego
B.A. Major: German, Weber State College
Assistent Professor, Utah Valley State College, July 1, 2006 to Present
Director of Forensic Science, Utah Valley State College, February 1, 2005 to June 30, 2006
Adjunct Criminal Justice Instructor, Utah Valley State College, January 2002 to January 31, 2005
Criminalist – Expert Witness, State of Utah Criminalistics Laboratory, 1995 to Nov., 2001
Adjunct Instructor, Salt Lake Community College, 1996 and 1997
Adjunct Associate Professor, Brigham Young University, 1994 to 2000
Forensic and Technical Training
Introduction to Explosion and Bombing Crime Scenes, Northwest Association of Forensic Scientists, 2001.
Digital Imaging, Northwest Association of Forensic Scientists, 2001.
Mass Spectra Interpretation, Northwest Association of Forensic Scientists, 2001.
Paint and Drug Analysis, American Academy of Forensic Sciences, February 2000.
Accreditation and QA/QC, 27th Annual Symposium on Crime Laboratory Development, 1999.
21st International Symposium on Capillary Chromatography and Electrophoresis, 1999.
Y2K and QA/QC, American Academy of Forensic Science, , 1999.
Polarized Light Microscopy, Microvision Northwest, 1997.
Clandestine Laboratory Investigation, Clandestine Laboratory Investigators Assoc, 1997.
Paint Examination and Comparison, California Criminalistics Institute, 1997.
Forensic Chemist Seminar, Drug Enforcement Administration, 1996.
Mass Spectra – Theory and Interpretation, California Criminalistics Institute, 1996.
Perkin-Elmer Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry User's Training, 1995.
Utah Crime Scene Academy Fall '95 - Basic Course, 1995.
Quality Control/Quality Assurance, Rocky Mountain Center of Industrial Hygiene, 1989.
Nikon School of Photography, Nikon, Inc.
Fellow--American Academy of Forensic Science, 1996 to Present
Diplomat--American Board of Criminalistics, 1999 to Present
Member--SWG-DRUG, Quality Assurance and Methods Validation Subcommittee 1998 to 2001
Publications and Presentations
1. Gary H. Naisbitt, Mao-Rong Lu, William R. Gray, and Leo P. Vernon "A Small Basic Peptide From Pumpkin Seeds" Plant Physiol. No. 88, 770-773, 1988.
2. Campbell, E.R., Murphy, B.J., Naisbitt, G.H., Richter, B.E., Andersen, M.R., Knowles, D.E., Dankovic, D.A., Disinger,J., Horstman, M.G., Zanger, R.C., Springer, D.L., Later, D.W., "Supercritical Fluid Extraction Analysis of Residues in Meats, Final Progress Report", United States Department of Agriculture Science and Education, Grant No. 86-SBIR-8-0130, 130 pages, 1989.
3. Brett J. Murphy, Gary H. Naisbitt, Erin Campbell, Dankovic, D.A., Horstman, M.G., David L. Springer and Douglas W. Later, "Biological Monitoring of Pesticides, Solvents and Their Metabolites by Supercritical Fluid Chromatography", National Cancer Institute Contract Number N44-CP-71086, 1989.
4. Gary H. Naisbitt, Douglas W. Later and Brett J. Murphy "Single Method Analysis of Carbaryl Pesticide and Its Polar and Non-polar Metabolites by SFC" Proceeding of the 1989 Pittsburgh Conference, Published Abstract No. 1358 and Poster, 1989.
5. B.J. Murphy, D.W. Later, and G.H. Naisbitt "SFC of Pesticides from Biological Matrices", 1989 Symposium / Workshop on Supercritical Fluid Chromatography, Snowbird, Utah. Poster.
6. G.H. Naisbitt "SFC Analysis of Biological Substances Using Modified Mobile Phases", 1989 Symposium / Workshop on Supercritical Fluid Chromatography, Snowbird, Utah. Poster.
7. Naisbitt, Gary H. "Supercritical Fluid Chromatography and Extraction" Introduction to Industrial Hygiene Chemistry Seminar, Invited Lecture, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1990.
8. Fracki, Wojciech St., Li, Du, Owen, Noel, Perry, Carol, Naisbitt, Gary H., Vernon, Leo P., "Role of TYR 45, TYR 13, and TRP 8 in Membrane Responses of Pyrularia Thionin Determined by Optical and NMR Spectra Following TYR Iodination and TRP Modification" Toxicon, Vol 30, No. 11, pp. 1427-1440, 1992.
9. Wang, Fei, Naisbitt, Gary H., Vernon, Leo P., Glaser, Michael, "Pyrularia Thionin Binding and the Role of Trp-8 in the Enhancement of Phosphatidylserine Domains in Erythrocyte Membranes", Biochemistry, Vol 32, No. 46, pp. 12283 - 12289, Nov. 23, 1993.
10. Milton L. Lee, Iulia M. Lazar, Kenneh D. Onuska, and Gary Naisbitt, "CE-TOFMS for the Analysis of Drugs fo Abuse", Proceedings of the Society of Forensic Toxicologists, Lecture, Abstract and Poster, October 1997.
11. Gary Naisbitt, Iulia M. Lazar, and Milton L. Lee, "Analysis of Drugs of Abuse by Capillary Electrophoresis Coupled to Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry", Proceedings of the American Academy of Forensic Science, Abstract and Poster No. 56, February 1998.
12. Iulia M. Lazar, Gary Naisbitt and Milton L. Lee, "Capillary Electrophoresis-Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry of Drugs of Abuse", The Analyst, July 1998, Vol. 123 (1449-1454).
13. Iulia M. Lazar, Gary Naisbitt, Milton L. Lee, "Capillary Electrophoresis Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry of an Opium Extract", Chromatographica, Vol.50, pp 188-194, August 1999.
14. Naisbitt, Gary H., "DPS Crime Laboratory Trace Program", The Utah Peace Officer, Vol 77, pp 68-69. 2000.
15. Gary H. Naisbitt, PhD, David S. Murdock, PhD, Scott R. McDaniel, MS, Barbara J. Hopkins, BS, Jennifer M. McNair, BS, "GHB Determination by GC-MS Without Complication or Ambiguity from GBL", Proceedings of the American Academy of Forensic Science, Oral Presentation and Abstract B14, Vol 7, pp 28, February 2001.