I have been at UVU since 2009 and am an Associate Professor of Management in the Woodbury School of Business and Associate Director of the Center for the Study of Ethics at UVU. I am also a human capital leadership and performance management consultant. I am passionate about teaching, love to conduct research, enjoy working with organizations in the community, and love writing in all styles—from academic, to professional, to op-ed, to other creative writing projects (check out my About.Me page). I also enjoy my involvement in various service assignments and activities, both on and off of campus.
Additionally, I am the faculty co-advisor for the UVU SHRM Student Chapter (Society for Human Resource Management) and program co-director of the Human Resource Management emphasis. Please contact me directly if you are interested in exploring a career in human resource management or in becoming a part of the professional club here on campus.
- Ph.D. in Sociology, International Political Economy; Work and Organizations, University of Utah, 2011
- Graduate Demography Certificate, Workforce/Labor Demography, University of Utah, 2007
- Graduate Higher Education Teaching Specialist Certificate, Instructional Design, University of Utah, 2007
- M.S. Sociology, Work and Organizations, University of Utah, 2007
- M.P.A., Human Resource Management and Organizational Behavior, Brigham Young University, 2005
- B.S. in Sociology, Research and Analysis Emphasis; Business Management Minor, Korean Language Minor, Brigham Young University, 2003
- Other Specializations:
- Challenges in Global Affairs (4 courses and capstone project), Universiteit Leiden & Université de Genève, 2015
- Virtual Teacher Program (5 courses and capstone project), University of California, Irvine, 2015
- Strategic International Human Resource Management; Performance Management; Organizational Development
- International Political Economy; Global Comparative Employee Engagement/Motivation/Job Satisfaction
- Organizational Leadership/Ethics; Organizational Diversity; Corporate Social Responsibility
- Adult Learning Pedagogy; Community-Engaged Experiential Learning; Service-Learning
- Emerging Trends in Higher Education; Teaching with Technology; Hybrid Learning
- Program Assessment; Quantitative/Statistical Analysis
Leadership and Teaching Philosophy:
My philosophy of leadership and teaching centers on servant leadership and can be summed up by the Korean proverb 청출어람 or 줄람지예, which translated means “Bluer than Indigo.” Indigo is the bluest of blues, so to have something that is bluer than indigo is truly remarkable—a deep, vibrant, and brilliant blue. Koreans use this proverb to describe the ideal relationship between leader/teacher and pupil—that is that the leader/teacher (indigo) trains and teaches the pupil to become bluer than indigo, or greater than himself/herself. There are many implications of this proverb that are also very important. First, this relationship implies that the leader/teacher sees and recognizes the true potential in his pupil. Second, the leader/teacher makes every effort possible to help the pupil achieve that potential. Third, the leader/teacher takes no thought of himself but rather is dedicated entirely to the success of the pupil; also meaning that pride (ego, status, position, etc.) does not get in the way.
As a leader and teacher, I strive to reach this ideal. That means that I must truly value each colleague and student that I encounter, search out the great potential within each of them, and then do everything within my power to help them see that potential within themselves and then support them in working towards reaching it. To understand how to best provide this support, I must encourage each individual to candidly share his or her thoughts and views, actively listen to and value his or her input, and provide timely and appropriate feedback. Therefore, I strive to develop open relationships of mutual respect and accountability with each individual colleague and student and clearly define my expectations for them, while also understanding their expectations for me.
In doing these things, I am completely committed to faculty/staff development, student learning and success, and community engagement. Furthermore, I am committed to pursuing the strategic long-term sustainable success of UVU. Finally, I am committed to nurturing and sustaining a university climate of shared governance and mutual respect and accountability. In striving to more completely realize these three goals, I will then come closer to reaching my leadership and teaching ideal, of helping others to become “bluer than indigo.”
Selected Awards/Honors/Fellowships/Grants (for full list, see attached vitae):
- Fulbright Scholar (Minsk, Belarus), 2011-2012
- Fulbright Specialist Roster, Institute for International Education and Council for International Exchange of Scholars, 2015-Present
- UVU Presidential Fellowship for Faculty Scholarship, 2015-2016
- Community Engaged Scholar Lifetime Achievement Award, Utah Campus Compact, 2015
- Fellow, Utah Valley Senior Executive Leadership Forum, 2013-2014.
- Sam M. Walton Free Enterprise Fellow, Enactus, 2010-2013
- Global/Intercultural Faculty Fellow, UVU Center for Global and Intercultural Engagement, 2014
- Ian Wilson Community Engagement Award, UVU Woodbury School of Business, 2013-2014
- J. Bonner Ritchie International Engagement Grant, UVU Woodbury School of Business, 2013-2014
- Faculty Fellow in Ethics for the Professions, UVU Center for the Study of Ethics, 2012-2013
- Service-Learning Designated Program Grant, UVU Volunteer and Service Learning Center, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- UVU Board of Trustees Presidential Award of Excellence - Engagement, 2011-2012
- Scholar of the Year, UVU Woodbury School of Business, 2011-2012
- Utah Commission on Volunteers Recognition, State of Utah Office of the Lieutenant Governor, 2011
- UVU Full-time Faculty Member of the Year, Wolverine Achievement Awards, 2010-2011
- UVU Presidential Faculty Scholarly Activities Award, 2010-2011
- Woodbury School of Business Summer Research Grant, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015
- UVU Service-Learning Faculty Fellow, 2009
- Outstanding Reviewer Award from the OB Division of the Academy of Management, 2009
- Best Graduate Research Paper Award, University of Utah, 2009
- Best Reviewer Award, Contemporary Management Research, 2008
Organizational Leadership/Administrative Experience:
- President, Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters, 2015-Present
- Associate Director, Center for the Study of Ethics, Utah Valley University, 2014-Present
- Director, Academic Service-Learning, Utah Valley University, 2011-2014
- Board of Trustees, Project Read, 2015-Present
- President-elect/Board Member, Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters, 2013-Present
- Board of Directors, National Association of Academies of Science, 2012-Present
- Program Director/Lead Teacher, UVU Woodbury School of Business Human Resource Management Program, 2009-Present
- Board of Directors, US National Committee for UN Woman, Utah Chapter, 2013-2015
- Executive Board: Legislation Vice President, Eaglecrest Elementary PTA, 2012
- Business Chair, Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters, 2009-2012
- President, Human Capital Innovations LLC, 2007-Present
- Southeast Asian Area Training Supervisor, BYU Missionary Training Center, 2003
Industry Work Experience (non-Academic):
- President, Human Capital Innovations LLC, 2007-Present
- Corporate Training and Development Consultant, InterContinental Hotels Group, 2005-2006
- Economic Development Assistant, Tooele City Corporation Office of Redevelopment and Economic Development, 2005-2006
- Operations Manager/Executive Trainee, Convergys Corporation, 2005
- Training/Marketing Associate, Learning Communities International (Targeted Learning Corporate Consulting), 2004-2005
- Policy/Social Analyst Intern, United Way of Utah County, 2004
- Professional Training and Organizational Development Consultant, BYU Human Resource Development, 2003-2005
- International Human Resource Development Intern, LG Electronics (Gumi, South Korea), 2001
- Southeast Asian Area Training Supervisor/Korean Teacher, MTC, 2000-2003
Selected Academic Experience (for full list, see attached vitae):
- Associate Professor of Management, Utah Valley University, Woodbury School of Business, 2015-Present
- Assistant Professor of Management, Utah Valley University, Woodbury School of Business, 2009-2015
- Community-based Research Scholar in Residence, Marymount California University, 2015 (while on UVU sabbatical)
- Visiting Scholar, Kennan Institute, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (Washington D.C.), 2015
- Visiting Research Professor/Dissertation Chair, Indiana Institute of Technology (Ph.D. in Global Leadership program; Fort Wayne, Indiana), 2015-Present (while on UVU sabbatical)
- Visiting Scholar, Belarusian State University, School of Business and Management of Technology (MBA program; Minsk, Belarus), 2014
- Visiting Scholar, Vitebsk State Technological University, School of Economics (Vitebsk, Belarus), 2014
- Visiting Professor, L'ISEG Business & Finance School/International School of Management (MBA program; Paris, France), 2013-Present
- Doctoral Lecturer/Dissertation Chair, University of Liverpool (DBA program, Liverpool, United Kingdon), 2013-Present
- Visiting Professor/Scholar, Polish Academy of Sciences, Institute of Economics and Institute of Computer Sciences (DBA and MBA programs; Warsaw, Poland), 2012-Present
- Visiting Fulbright Professor/Scholar, Belarusian State University, School of Business and Management of Technology (MBA program; Minsk, Belarus), 2012
- Visiting Scholar, Belarusian State University of Informatics and Radioelectronics, School of Engeneering and Economics, (Minsk, Belarus), 2012, 2014
- Visiting Scholar, Grodno State University, School of Economics and Management (Grodno, Belarus), 2012
- Visiting Professor/Scholar, University of Science and Technology of China, School of Management Science (MBA program, Hefei, China), 2011
Higher Education Textbooks, Course Materials, and Open Educational Resources (OER) Edited/Contributed:
- Human Capital Leadership: A Strategic Approach to Optimizing Workplace Potential, Newly Revised Edition (ed). San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing, 2015.
- Strategic Organizational and Business Ethics Toolkit (ed). HCI Press (Leading Innovative Organizations Series), 2015.
- Strategic Human Resource Management (ed). HCI Press (Leading Innovative Organizations Series), 2014.
- Strategic Organizational Development and Change (ed). HCI Press (Leading Innovative Organizations Series), 2014.
- Strategic International Business (ed). HCI Press (Leading Innovative Organizations Series), 2014.
- Strategic Organizational Behavior (ed). HCI Press (Leading Innovative Organizations Series), 2014.
- Strategic Management Communication (ed). HCI Press (Leading Innovative Organizations Series), 2014.
- Workforce Planning: Recruitment and Selection (content contributor). Orem, UT: MyEducator (in partnership with Human Resource Certification Preparation), 2014. (also textbook supplemental course materials-quizes, exercises, class activities, case studies, test bank, lecture slides, example syllabi)
- Human Capital Leadership: A Strategic Approach to Optimizing Workplace Potential (ed). San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing, 2012. (also textbook supplemental course materials-quizes, exercises, class activities, case studies, test bank, lecture slides, example syllabi)
Academic Books Edited/Authored:
- The Organizational and Business Ethics Imperative (ed). Champaign, IL: The Organization, 2015.
- Teaching Organizational and Business Ethics (ed). Champaign, IL: The Organization, 2015.
- Engaging Hybrid and Blended Learning in Higher Education (ed). Champaign, IL: e-Learning and Innovative Pedagogies, 2014.
- Leadership and Organizational Change (ed). Champaign, IL: The Organization, 2013.
- Social Entrepreneurship and Microfinance (ed). Champaign, IL: The Organization, 2013.
- Socially Responsible and Sustainable Business around the Globe: The New Age of Corporate Social Responsibility (ed). Champaign, IL: The Organization, 2013.
- Academic Service-Learning Across Disciplines: Models, Outcomes, and Assessment (ed). Champaign, IL: The Learner, 2012.
- Organizational Culture, Learning, and Knowledge Management (ed). Champaign, IL: The Organization, 2011.
- Examining Job Satisfaction: Causes, Outcomes, and Comparative Differences (ed). Champaign, IL: The Organization, 2011.
- Cross-National Differences in Work Characteristics and Job Satisfaction: A Comparative Analysis from Post and Neo-Fordist Perspectives. Saarbrücken, Germany: VDM Verlag, 2010.
- Globalization, Labor, and the Transformation of Work (ed).. Altona, Victoria: The Organization, 2010.
- Training the Next Generation of Knowledge Workers (ed). Altona, Victoria: The Organization, 2010.
Selected Scholarly Articles (for full list, see attached vitae):
- “Motivation and Influence within a Religious Organization: A Look at the LDS Church.” Organizational Cultures: An International Journal, Vol. 14, Issue 1, p. 17-24, July 2015 (with Jared Chapman).
- “The Meaning of Engaged Learning.” International Journal of Adult, Community and Professional Learning, Vol. 20, Issue 2, p. 13-22, May 2014 (with Anne Arendt).
- “Teaching Hybrid Courses across Disciplines: Effectively Combining Traditional Learning and e-Learning Pedagogies.” International Journal of Information and Education Technology, Vol. 4, Issue 1, p. 93-96, January 2014 (with Jacque Westover).
- “The Impact of Comparative State-Directed Development on Working Conditions and Employee Satisfaction.” Journal of Management and Organization, Vol. 19, Issue 4, p. 498-518, December 2013.
- “The Impact of Country Context on Employee Job Satisfaction: An Application of the World-Systems Framework.” International Journal of Management, Vol. 30, Issue 2, p. 451-463, June 2013.
- “A Preliminary Look at the Impact of Political and Economic Transformations on Societal Values and Attitudes in Post-Soviet Belarus, 1990-2000.” The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Civic and Political Studies, Vol. 7, Issue 1, p. 45-64, February 2013.
- “The Job Satisfaction-Gender Paradox Revisited: A Cross-National Look at Gender Differences in Job Satisfaction, 1989-2005.” Journal of Global Responsibility, Vol. 3, Issue 2, p. 263-277, September 2012.
- “Comparative Welfare State Impacts on Work Quality and Job Satisfaction: A Cross-National Analysis.” International Journal of Social Economics, Vol. 39, Issue 7, p. 503-525. June 2012.
- “Job Satisfaction in the Public Service: The Effects of Public Service Motivation, Workplace Attributes and Work Relations.” Public Management Review, Vol. 13, Issue 5, p. 731-751, April 2011 (with Jeannette Taylor).
- “Enhancing Long-term Worker Productivity and Performance: The Connection of Key Work Domains to Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment.” International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, Vol. 59, Issue 4, p. 372-387, May 2010 (with Alan Westover and Andrew Westover).
- “Demographic Shifts in National and State Labor Markets: A Review and Application of 'The Impact of Demographic Change on U.S. Labor Markets.’” Journal of the Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters, Vol. 85, Issue 1, p. 135-142, March 2009.
- “A Cross-National Analysis of Job Quality Characteristics and Perceived Job Satisfaction in a Changing World Economy: Implications for Public Administrators Managing a Multicultural Workforce.” International Review of Public Administration, Vol. 13, Issue 2, p. 129-144, November 2008.
- “Impacts of a Changing Global Economy on Work Organizations: A Neo and Post-Fordist Look at General Motors and Google Inc.” Journal of International Management Studies, Vol. 3, Issue 1, p. 145-153, February 2008.
Selected Scholarly Presentations (for full list, see attached vitae):
- “Exploring Comparative Employee Engagement: A Look at High Tech and Consulting Firms.” Western Social Science Association Conference (Portland, OR): April 2015 (with Aaron Barrus, Sean Costello, and Garret Beaman).
- “Teaching Hybrid Courses across Disciplines: Effectively Combining Traditional Learning and e-Learning Pedagogies.” International Conference on Distance Learning and Education (Paris, France): October 2013 (with Jacque Westover).
- “Human Capital Leadership: A Strategic Approach to Optimizing Workplace Potential.” World Business Capabilities Congress (Auckland, New Zealand), December 2012.
- “A Cross-National Comparative Analysis of Job Quality and Worker Satisfaction.” American Sociological Association Annual Conference (San Francisco, CA), August 2009.
- “International Differences in Job Satisfaction: The Effects of Public Service Motivation, Rewards and Work Relations.” International Research Society for Public Management Annual Conference (Copenhagen, Denmark), April 2009 (with Jeannette Taylor).
- “A Cross-National Analysis of Job Quality Characteristics and Perceived Job Satisfaction in a Changing World Economy: Implications for Public Administrators Managing in a Multicultural Workforce.” American Society for Public Administration Annual Conference (Dallas, TX), March 2008.
- “J-Curve Effects on CEO Succession: Expectations vs. Performance as a Determinant of CEO Dismissal.” Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences Annual Conference (Seattle, WA), November 7, 2007 (with William Hesterly).
Boards/Academic Service (External to UVU):
- President, Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters, 2015-Present
- Board Member, Project Read, 2015-Present
- Editorial Board, Social Sciences Bulletin, 2015-Present
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Public Administration and Management, 2015-Present
- Board Member, Romney Institute of Public Management Advisory Board, 2015-Present
- Board Member/Advisory Board Member, US National Committee for UN Woman, Utah Chapter, 2013-Present
- Board Member, National Association of Academies of Science, 2012-Present
- Community Impact and Investment Committee Member, United Way of Utah County, 2011-Present
- Board Member/Advisory Board Member, Self Reliance of Utah, 2010-Present
- President-Elect/Board Member/Business Chair, Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters, 2009-Present
- Co-Chair, Utah Campus Compact Faculty Development Network, 2012-2014
- Executive Board: Legislation Vice President, Eaglecrest Elementary PTA, 2012-2013
- Search/Hiring Committee Member, Various Executive/Faculty/Staff Hiring Committees (average of 4+ a year), 2009-Present
- Session Organizer/Discussant/Facilitator, Various Academic and Professional Conferences, 2007-Present
- Associate Editor/Reviewer, Various Academic Journals, 2007-Present
Selected UVU Committees/Academic Service (for full list, see attached vitae):
- Member, UVU Scholarly Creative Undergraduate Learning Partnership Team (SCULPT), 2015-Present
- Member, UVU Intercultural Ethics Working Group, 2015-Present
- Chair, UVU WSB Strategic Scholarship and Intellectual Contributions Taskforce, 2015-Present
- Member, UVU Quality Improvement Initiative for Faculty Merit Pay Working Group, 2014-Present
- Member, WSB Assessing Engagement Working Group, 2014-2015
- Member, WSB Engagement RTP Working Group, 2014-2015
- Member, UVU Civic Engagement Working Group, 2013-2014
- Member, WSB MBA Graduate Committee, 2014-Present
- Program Coordinator, Polish Academies of Science/UVU Strategic Partnership, 2013-Present
- Member, UVU Scholarship of Teaching and Engagement Committee, 2013-2015
- Member, UVU Engagement Week Committee, 2013-2014
- Member, Woodbury School of Business Faculty Excellence Awards Committee, 2012-Present
- Member, UVU Chinese Studies Faculty Committee, 2012-2014
- Member, UVU Assessing Engagement Committee, 2011-2014.
- Chair, UVU Service Learning Committee, 2011-2014
- Strategic Task Force Chair, Woodbury School of Business Strategic Initiative: Student and Faculty Engagement, 2011-2013
- Faculty Mentor, UVU Faculty Center for Teaching Excellence, 2010-Present
- Committee Member, UVU Service Learning Committee, 2009-Present
- Program Director/Lead Teacher, UVU Woodbury School of Business OB/HR Emphasis and Human Resource Management Courses, 2009-Present
UVU Professional Development:
- UVU Team Member, Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) Social Sciences Institute (Orlando, Florida), 2015
- Graduate of UVU Global/Intercultural Faculty Fellowship, 2014
- Graduate of Utah Valley Senior Executive Leadership Forum (UVSELF), 2013-2014.
- UVU Ethics Across the Curriculum Faculty Summer Seminar, 2011 (Ethical Theory in Teaching, Dr. Bernard Gert), 2014 (Moral Machines, Dr. Wendell Wallach), 2015 (Conflict Transformation, Dr. George Lopez)
- Graduate of UVU Teaching Academy II: Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (Fall and Spring Semesters), 2010-2011
- Facilitator and Member, UVU Faculty Center for Teaching Excellence Faculty Learning Communities (Fall and Spring Semesters), 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Facilitator and Member, UVU Faculty Center for Teaching Excellence Faculty Learning Learning Circles (Fall and Spring Semesters), 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Graduate of UVU Teaching Academy (Fall and Spring Semesters), 2009-2010
- Graduate of UVU Service-Learning Faculty Fellowship, 2009
- Graduate of UVU Human Resource Academy, Summer 2009
- Presenter/Antendee/Organizer/Discussant/Reviewer, Various Academic and Professional Conferences (4+ a year), 2007-Present
Other Higher Education Certifications:
- Organizational Analysis, Stanford University
- The Brain and Space, Duke University
- New Models of Business in Society, University of Virginia (Darden School of Business)
- Understand Organizations, Act, and Build a Meaningful World, Hautes études commerciales de Paris (HEC Paris)
- Analyzing Global Trends for Business and Society, University of Pennsylvania
- Managing the Company of the Future, University of London
- Sustainable Development, Columbia University
- Business Ethics for the Real World, Santa Clara University (Markkula Center for Applied Ethics)
- Creating an Ethical Corporate Culture, Santa Clara University (Markkula Center for Applied Ethics)
- Unethical Decision Making in Organizations, University of Lausanne
- Advanced Instructional Strategies in the Virtual Classroom, University of California, Irvine
- Performance Assessment in the Virtual Classroom, University of California, Irvine
- Emerging Trends & Technologies in the Virtual Classroom, University of California, Irvine
- Foundations of Virtual Instruction, University of California, Irvine
- Configuring the World: A Critical Political Economy Approach, Universiteit Leiden
- The Changing Global Order, Universiteit Leiden
- International Organizations Management, Université de Genève
- Global Affairs Capstone, Universiteit Leiden & Université de Genève
UVU Extracurricular/Co-curricular Advising:
- Faculty Advisor/Co-Advisor, UVU SHRM Student Chapter, 2009-Present
- Faculty Co-Advisor, UVU Golden Key Student Chapter, 2010-Present
- Faculty Advisor, UVU Enactus Student Team, 2012-2013
- Faculty Advisor, UVU SIFE (Students In Free Enterprise) Student Chapter, 2010-2012
- Faculty Advisor, UVU Neighbors in Need, 2010-2011
- Faculty Advisor, UVU Net Impact Student Chapter, 2010-2011