Mission Statement of Russian Studies
The Russian Studies minor provides students with a foundational understanding of the
Russian language as well as an introduction to the social, political, historical,
and economic factors that make Russia one of the leading international powers today.
Students who minor in Russian Studies are expected to:
- Attain a general knowledge and understanding of Russian culture, society and history;
- Demonstrate proficiency in the Russian language at an Intermediate Low level according
to the ACTFL National Standards;
- Develop an understanding of major aspects of Russian culture and civilization from
pre-historic times to the present;
- Gain familiarity with Russia's position in and influence on world politics and economy;
- Demonstrate the ability to transcend the boundaries between national languages and
disciplines by use of comparative and collaborative approaches to scholarship.
Minor in Russian Studies