You are encouraged to attend Open Gyms from now until Try outs at TNT All Stars in Lindon:
115 S. 1200 W.
Lidon, UT 84042
April 17th and 18th (only), 2013
|Schedule for clinic and try-outs:|
Wednesday April 17th
Thursday April 18th
Try-out Clinic Requirements:
Clinic attire should be cheerleading shorts or hot shorts and tank tops for girls (no t-shirts), hair should be pulled up and absolutely no jewelry. For guys, shorts and t-shirts are required. Try-out clinics are open to anyone interested in trying out for the UVU Spirit Squad. They are free and will help you prepare for the official cheer try-out on April 19th. The clinics will be open to the general public but the try-out will be closed.
Official Try-out Requirements
Try-outs are welcome to all incoming freshman, transfer students and current UVU students. You will be taught all material at the clinic that you will need to showcase at the try-out. You MUST be previously accepted to UVU and show proof of acceptance.
There is a 2.5 required cumulative minimum GPA for all existing UVU students or any student who has taken any UVU courses (concurrent enrollment) and has a GPA at UVU to try out for any UVU Spirit Squad team.
Paperwork required for try-outs:
Please bring with you the following: If you do not bring with you the following information the day of the try-out you will not be allowed to try-out.
- A Headshot (this will not be returned)
- A Cheer resume- this should include all cheer training, leadership roles, all cheer experience, any competition titles or any teaching or choreography opportunities you have had.
- One letter of recommendation by a non family member
- Proof of acceptance to UVU
- $20 non-refundable try-out fee.
- COPY OF DRIVER'S LICENSE AND PROOF OF INSURANCE
What to wear for try-outs:
Skill Requirements for try-outs:
- Stunts: you are required to do a toss extension/liberty, and an optional stunt that includes two positions, one transition and a cradle. Example: toss lib, hands, heel stretch double full down cradle, or toss liberty double take to an arabesque with a full down cradle. It is recommended that girls showcase their front and back flexibility (example: heel stretch, bow and arrow, scorpion, arabesque etc) and guys showcase their difficulty and entry into a stunt ( toss, press up, full ups, rewinds etc)
- Tumbling: Standing back tucks and round off back handspring back tucks are required. An optional pass is also required.
- Cheer: You will be taught a sideline chant at the clinic. You are required to incorporate your own skills into the chant. The words to the chant will be UVU xxx (clap, clap, clap). You may include up to two gymnastics skills and must include some motions and jumps. There will be time dedicated to preparing your sideline chant at the clinic.
- Fight Song: Required to learn the fight song that will be taught at the clinic. It is recommended that you know the words to the UVU fight song before the clinic.
- Dance: Each female cheerleader will be required to have basic dance technique. You will be taught a short dance routine to perform in front of the judges. The dance routine will include sharp angles, jump and basic dance moves. Each male may be required to learn sections of the dance as well.
- Interview: Each candidate will have a short interview by the coaches and or a panel of judges during the final part of the try-out process.
For more information or any questions about the UVU Cheer Squad please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.