UVU Dance Team Auditions 2013
8am (Registration Begins)
Sorensen Student Center
Auditions are welcome to all incoming freshman, transfer students and current UVU students. Please come prepared to showcase your best technical or gymnastic skill. You MUST be previously accepted to UVU and show proof of acceptance.
There is a 2.5 required minimum cumulative GPA for all existing UVU students or any student who has taken any UVU courses at any time (concurrent enrollment) and has a GPA at UVU to be eligible try out for any UVU Spirit Squad team.
Paperwork required for UVU Dance Team AuditionPlease bring with you the following:
- A headshot (this will not be returned)
- A dance resume (this should include all dance training, leadership roles, all dance experience, any competition titles or any teaching or choreography opportunities you have had. Please include references, such as dance teachers, mentors, etc).
- One letter of recommendation by a non-family member
- Proof of acceptance to UVU
- $20 non-refundable try-out fee.
- COPY OF DRIVER'S LICENSE AND PROOF OF INSURANCE
What to expect:
The UVU Dance Team auditions begin with 2-3 technical combinations that will be taught to you as you showcase across the floor. These will include such skills as but not held to, leaps (front, side, back, switch, tilts) triple and quad pirouettes, battements and fouettes. After the across the floor portion of the audition, the judges will make a cut. You will be asked to showcase your best technical or gymnastic skill at this time. You will have 30 seconds to do so. Those who proceed onto the next phase of the audition will learn 1-3 short dances, a contemporary jazz, pom or hip-hop. After the dance portion of the audition, the judges will make a second cut . Those finalists will stay for a short interview process. The new UVU Dance Team will then be announced via this website within the following week.
What to wear:
Please wear appropriate dance attire that allows the judges to see the body move. Come with a comfortable jazz shoe or other appropriate footwear, No socks or bare feet will be allowed. Also come performance ready, hair done with make-up on. Look your best!
General Information about UVU Dance Team:
- Practice is held 3-4 times a week Tuesday and Thursday from 4-7pm, Wednesday from 8-10 pm and select Saturday mornings from 7:00-10:00 a.m.
- We are looking for well-rounded dancers that are skilled in jazz technique, pom skills, lyrical, and hip-hop.
- You are required to be ambassadors for the university and attend public functions as assigned.
- We attend a MANDATORY Summer Collegiate camp in July/August. Regular practices begin in August.
- You must be accepted to UVU prior to try-outs. There is a 2.5 required GPA and you must be a full-time (12 credit hours) student.
- Incoming freshman, transfer students and continuing UVU Students may audition.
- You must commit to the team for the entire school year season. (May - April).The UVU Dance Team performs and cheers at volleyball, women's and men's basketball games. Each year the team attends approximately 30 games.
- Scholarships available for all members
- National competition experience
- Gold's Gym membership
- Book Scholarships
- Travel opportunities
- School and UVUSA Involvement
- Uniforms and most apparel paid for
- Academic tutoring services
- 2 free tickets to Athletics games performed at
- Concert performance opportunity
- State wide Performance opportunities
For more information or any questions, please call 801-863-8630 or e-mail either
Carly Condie at email@example.com or Nikki Kielbasa at firstname.lastname@example.org