Woodworking Skills Challenge
Application is due by April 30, 2013. Please fill out field below to register.
Purpose: To evaluate and recognize outstanding students for excellence and professionalism in the field of cabinetmaking and millwork.
Clothing Requirment: Loose fitting clothes, jewelry, or any other dangling objects are a safety hazard. Long hair should be tied back. Open toed shoes are not permitted. Clothes should be consistent with that found by personnel working in the industry. Safety glasses with side shields must be worn throughout the competition. Prescription glasses can be used only if they are equipped with side shields. If not, they must be covered with goggles.
Safety Requirements: Both the instructors and the contestants certify by agreeing to enter this contest that the contestant has received instruction and has satisfactorily passed examination on the safe use of the following power equipment that may be used in the contest:
- Router Radial, Arm Saw, Table Saw
- Jointer, Band Saw, Drill Press
- Hand Drill, Planer, Power Miter Saw
- Hand Sander
They also certify that UVU and assigned judges are released from all responsibility relating to personal injury resulting from the use of the above listed power equipment. Contestants will be removed from the competition if proper training has not been provided and/or they are using the equipment in an unsafe manner.
Equipment and Materials
- Supplied by the technical committee:
- All necessary power tools (except for those listed below, equipment and work stations.
- All necessary necessary information and furnishing for judges and technical committee.
- Supplied by the contestant
- Measuring Tape
- Combination Square
- Two Pencils
- Block Pane
- 1/4" - 1" Wood Chisels
- Phillips - Head Bits
- Counter-Sink Bit
- 1/8" - 1" Drill Bits
- Sanding Block
- Compass or Trammel Pts
- Cordless Drill
- Wood Glue
- Sand Paper 10 - 150
- 3/8" Router-Over Bit
- Dado Router Bits
- Small Ogee Profile Bit
Scope of the contest
Contestants will be given all necessary information by job sheets or prints of articles to be constructed. Contestants will use joinery techniques as specified.
Contestants will demonstrate their ability to perform jobs or skill selected from the following tasks:
- Interprete Plans
- Complete a "Bill of Material"
- Construct a project using the following operations: Laying out, Cutting & Shaping, Assembling & Fastening, Finishing Surfaces