- Students may submit one project in each category for display. Only one project per student per category will be judged. Students will have the opportunity when registering to identify which projected they would like judged.
- No electrical cords can be run across any aisle. Safety of displays is an important cnsideration.
- Projects will be judged on technical craftsmanship, not on display techniques.
- Please do not include valuable items as part of the display: UVU is not liable for lost or stolen items.
Automotive Project Guidelines
All categories including automotive repairs, collision repair and painting, diesel repairs, or other related fields like agricultural mechanical / hydraulic repairs, will be judged from student presented portfolios.
Student Portfolio should include:
- Pictures of the project from beginning, throughout the repair, and finish. If you have already started, include pictures as early in the process as possible.
- Pictures should be presented on poster board that includes title, captions for explanation, and other pertinent materials.
- Additional pictures can be presented in a photo album. It is always best to organize them in chronological order.
- A reflection paper of your project will need to be included. It should include an explanation of your work, what challenges you encountered during the repair process, how you solved those problems, and most importantly what you learned. This paper should be typed and presented with the poster board. There will be no length limitations, just say what needs to be said.
- A signed letter from your Instructor indicating that more than 70% of the work was completed in his/her lab, and you performed the work with minimal help from others. If two or more students performed the work the project must presented as such.
- Any other materials you would like to present that could be set by the table or on the table are okay but not mandatory as part of your portfolio.
If you would like to bring the project (the vehicle), that would be nice, but not mandatory. The project will not be allowed inside the Event Center because of safety issues, they will be parked outside near the front of the building.
Engineering Graphics & Design
Students may display projects in any of the following subcategories. Each project may be drawn by hand or computer-generated. The categories available for entry are:
- Architectural Drawing
- Architectural Rendering
- Mechanical Drafting
- Technical Illustration
Students may display projects constructed using metal forging techniques and methods. These may be class or individual projects. Documents or plans used in construction should be displayed with the project.
Students may display projects constructed using metal fabrication methods. These may be class or individual projects. Documents or plans used in construction should be displayed with the project.
Students may display projects constructed using machine shop tools and methods. These may be class or individual projects. Documents or plans used in construction should be displayed with the project. Photos illustrating the methods of construction may also be included.
All students entering projects must submit a printing portfolio. The portfolios are to portray the printing craftsmanship of an individual student for the school year. All sketches, layouts, and finished pieces are to be bound into a folder. (Image carriers are not required). Each job should be displayed as a group with all the work completed by the student shown. It is important that explanations be listed as to what this individual student did to complete each job. Is is understood that students often work in groups and we need the student's participation. It is also important to include whether that art work was created by the student or copied.
Students may display any project completed in a woodworking class. Set or matching pairs will be judged as one entry. Locked cabinets will not be judged. The categories available for entry are:
- Bedroom Furniture (Single Pieces)
- Bedroom Sets
- Entertainment Centers
- Cedar Chests
See Skills Challenges page for more details.