General Transfer Credit Acceptance Policy
UVU accepts credits from regionally accredited
(see below list) Colleges/Universities as long as the courses taken were college
level (considered transferable) and completed with C- grades or better.
View the current UVU Course Catalog
under Academic Policies and Standards
then Transfer Credit
for the official policy with more detailed information.
Courses in religion will be evaluated on the basis of the particular orientation of
the course as determined by the UVU Religious Studies Committee. In order to be considered,
these courses must be listed on an official transcript from a regionally accredited
institution and must demonstrate scholarly rigor and critical engagement with the
subject matter.ACCEPTED REGIONAL ACCREDITING ORGANIZATIONS
- Middle States Association of Colleges & Schools (MSA)
- New England Association of Schools & Colleges, Inc. - Commission on Institutions of
Higher Education (NEASC-CIHE)
- North Central Association of Colleges & Schools - Higher Learning Commission (NCA-HLC)
- Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities (NWCCU)
- Southern Association of Colleges & Schools - Commission on Colleges (SACS-COC)
- Western Association of Schools & Colleges - Accrediting Commission for Community &
Junior Colleges (WASC-ACCJC)
- Western Association of Schools & Colleges - Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges
& Universities (WASC-ACSCU)
Transfer Articulation Database
To look up courses at other colleges/universities and see how UVU accepts them, view
our Transfer Articulation database (click here).
Note: If your college/university is not listed in the database, it does not mean UVU
doesn't or won't accept credit from that institution. This database shows all previously
evaluated courses and is updated in real-time. Due to the amount of information in
this database, it may take several minutes to load.
Transcript Process and Evaluation
After you have applied to UVU, have official transcripts from all prior institutions mailed or electronically sent to UVU.
Official Paper Transcripts must be in a sealed envelope directly from the transfer institution and less than
6 months old.
Have prior institutions mail official paper transcripts to:
Utah Valley University
Attention: Admissions Office
800 West University Parkway
Orem, UT 84058-6703
Official Electronic Transcripts must be received directly from the transfer institution using a secure transcript
exchange company or certified PDF document.
Have prior institutions e-mail secured/certified official electronic transcripts to:
(This e-mail is only for receiving secured/certified official electronic transcripts. Please send all
questions to email@example.com.)
(Please refer to the UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS section.)
Transcripts become UVU property after received...they will not be given back to the
student. Transcripts accepted as official by the UVU Admissions Office are automatically
sent to the Transfer Credit Office for evaluation and posting. The average processing
time of the transcript varies according to time of the year it is received and normally
takes from 1-3 weeks. Please have transcripts sent as soon as you have applied to
UVU. The transcripts are processed on a first come, first served basis to make it
fair for all students. We do all we can to get transcripts entered quickly.
The Transfer Credit Office may request the student to supply a catalog, bulletin,
or course outline(s) from colleges attended to assist in determining the transferability
of specific courses.
UVU does not grant credit from an unofficial transcript due to possible tampering
with the transcript which may occur. A transcript is considered unofficial if it:
- is a copy;
- is faxed or received in an otherwise unofficial manner (unsealed envelope, etc);
- has a print date older than 6 months;
- has been opened prior to being submitted to the UVU Admissions Office (even if opened
by UVU faculty, advisor, or other employee);
- is an electronic transcript not received through a secure transcript exchange company
or certified PDF document (cannot be sent or received as a regular email attachment);
- is an electronic transcript sent from anyone other than the transfer institution (cannot
be sent from the student);
- is an electronic transcript sent to any e-mail address other than firstname.lastname@example.org
(even if sent to another UVU e-mail address).
UVU may or may not award credit based on military transcripts. To determine if credit
may be awarded:
- Send your DD 214 (Member 4 Copy) discharge paper to the UVU Veterans Office.
- Send Official Transcripts from any of the following to UVU (refer to above Transcript Processing and Evaluation section).
The following military transcripts can be requested online at the listed link:
- View UVU's Transfer Articulation Database - under "select institution", select "Military Credit."
- Contact the UVU Veterans Office for more information.
INTERNATIONAL TRANSCRIPT EVALUATION
Please refer to UVU's International Transcripts web page.
Transferring from a college/university in the Utah System of Higher Education
For transfer students from any Utah State Higher Education Institution (USHE), UVU
shall accept at full value all General Education course work approved by the sending
institution (with a "C-" grade or higher received) in any area specified by the Board
of Regents document R470. These areas include Composition, Quantitative Literacy,
Fine Arts, Humanities, Social and Behavioral Science, Biology, and Physical Science.
UVU requires transfer students to complete any additional coursework needed to satisfy
the unmet portions of the UVU General Education Requirements
. Previously completed General Studies course work will be applied to assure the best
possible fit with UVU General Education Requirements.
An Associate in Science/Arts degree earned at any USHE institution will meet the General
Education requirements of UVU (except - all students must meet College Writing, Quantitative Literacy and American Institutions
requirements). Some majors may require students to complete specific general education
USHE COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES
- Dixie State College
- Salt Lake Community College
- Snow College
- Southern Utah University
- University of Utah
- Utah State University
- Utah State University - Eastern
- Formerly College of Eastern Utah
- Utah Valley University
- Weber State University
Transferring AP, CLEP, DSST, and/or IB credits to UVU
Click on the below links for detailed information:
How have my credits transferred to UVU?
Once UVU has received and evaluated a student's official transcript from another college,
the student may find out how their credits have been accepted through UVLink (see
UVLink Transfer Credit Awarded Instructions below). UVLink will display transfer credit
that has been awarded up to the current moment. Information included in the Transfer
Credit Awarded section are the dates UVU received and reviewed your transcript(s),
the school(s) you took the course(s) from, the course(s) you took at the other school(s),
the grade(s) you received, and the equivalent(s) which UVU awarded for the course(s).
The Transfer Credit Office uses a General Education Code System to aid in granting
credit for courses not offered at UVU. Please refer to the current UVU Course Catalog
under Graduation and General Education
then General Education Code System
for questions you may have regarding codes when viewing how your credits have transferred
How to check Transfer Credit Awarded via UVLink
(Read or Print all Instructions prior to linking to UVLink)
- Login to UVLink;
- Click on the Student Tab;
- Click on the Student Services & Financial Aid link (located in Banner Services);
- Click on the Student Records link;
Click on the Transfer Credit Awarded
link and your transfer credit information will be displayed;
(If you return to the Student Records menu, you can click on Wolverine Track
to see how your credits apply to different degrees.)
When finished, click on the word Logout.