Incoming Credit

General Transfer Credit Acceptance Policy

UVU accepts credits from regionally accredited (see below list) Colleges/Universities as long as the courses taken were college level (considered transferable) and completed with C- grades or better.

View the current UVU Course Catalog under Academic Policies and Standards then Transfer Credit for the official policy with more detailed information.

Courses in religion will be evaluated on the basis of the particular orientation of the course as determined by the UVU Religious Studies Committee. In order to be considered, these courses must be listed on an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution and must demonstrate scholarly rigor and critical engagement with the subject matter.


  • Middle States Association of Colleges & Schools (MSA)
  • New England Association of Schools & Colleges, Inc. - Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC-CIHE)
  • North Central Association of Colleges & Schools - Higher Learning Commission (NCA-HLC)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges & Schools - Commission on Colleges (SACS-COC)
  • Western Association of Schools & Colleges - Accrediting Commission for Community & Junior Colleges (WASC-ACCJC)
  • Western Association of Schools & Colleges - Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges & Universities (WASC-ACSCU)

Transfer Articulation Database

To look up courses at other colleges/universities and see how UVU accepts them, view our Transfer Articulation database.

Note: If your college/university is not listed in the database, it does not mean UVU does not or will not accept credit from that institution. This database shows all previously evaluated courses and is updated in real-time. If your course is not listed in the database, it will need to be reviewed once it is received by UVU on an official transcript. Due to the amount of information in this database, it may take several minutes to load.

Transcript Process and Evaluation

After you have applied to UVU, have official transcripts from all prior institutions mailed or electronically sent to UVU.

Official Paper Transcripts must be in a sealed envelope directly from the transfer institution and less than 6 months old.

Have prior institutions mail official paper transcripts to:

Utah Valley University
Attention: Admissions Office
800 West University Parkway
Orem, UT 84058-6703

Official Electronic Transcripts must be received directly from the transfer institution using a secure transcript exchange company or certified PDF document.

Have prior institutions e-mail secured/certified official electronic transcripts to:
(This e-mail is only for receiving secured/certified official electronic transcripts. Please send all questions to

(Please refer to the UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS section.)

Transcripts become UVU property after received; they will not be given back to the student. Transcripts accepted as official by the UVU Admissions Office are automatically sent to the Transfer Credit Office for evaluation and posting. The average processing time of the transcript varies according to time of the year it is received and normally takes from 1-3 weeks. Please have transcripts sent as soon as you have applied to UVU. The transcripts are processed on a first come, first served basis to make it fair for all students. We do all we can to get transcripts entered quickly.

The Transfer Credit Office may request the student to supply a catalog, bulletin, or course outline(s) from colleges attended to assist in determining the transferability of specific courses.


UVU does not grant credit from an unofficial transcript due to possible tampering with the transcript which may occur. A transcript is considered unofficial if it:

  • is a copy
  • is faxed or received in an otherwise unofficial manner (unsealed envelope, etc)
  • has a print date older than 6 months
  • has been opened prior to being submitted to the UVU Admissions Office (even if opened by UVU faculty, advisor, or other employee)
  • is an electronic transcript not received through a secure transcript exchange company or certified PDF document (cannot be sent or received as a regular email attachment)
  • is an electronic transcript sent from anyone other than the transfer institution (cannot be sent from the student)
  • is an electronic transcript sent to any e-mail address other than (even if sent to another UVU e-mail address)


UVU may or may not award credit based on military transcripts. To determine if credit may be awarded:


Please refer to UVU's International Transcripts web page.

Transferring from a college/university in the Utah System of Higher Education

For transfer students from any Utah State Higher Education Institution (USHE), UVU shall accept at full value all General Education course work approved by the sending institution (with a "C-" grade or higher received) in any area specified by the Board of Regents document R470. These areas include Composition, Quantitative Literacy, Fine Arts, Humanities, Social and Behavioral Science, Biology, and Physical Science.

UVU requires transfer students to complete any additional coursework needed to satisfy the unmet portions of the UVU General Education Requirements. Previously completed General Studies course work will be applied to assure the best possible fit with UVU General Education Requirements.

An Associate in Science/Arts degree earned at any USHE institution will meet the General Education requirements of UVU (except - all students must meet College Writing, Quantitative Literacy and American Institutions requirements). Some majors may require students to complete specific general education courses.


  • Dixie State University
  • Salt Lake Community College
  • Snow College
  • Southern Utah University
  • University of Utah
  • Utah State University
  • Utah State University - Eastern
    • Formerly College of Eastern Utah
  • Utah Valley University
  • Weber State University
Students Transfering

Transferring AP, CLEP, DSST, and/or IB credits to UVU

Click on the below links for detailed information:

How have my credits transferred to UVU?

Once UVU has received and evaluated a student's official transcript from another college, the student may find out how their credits have been accepted through myUVU (see myUVU Transfer Credit Awarded Instructions below). myUVU will display transfer credit that has been awarded up to the current moment. Information included in the Transfer Credit Awarded section are the dates UVU received and reviewed your transcript(s), the school(s) you took the course(s) from, the course(s) you took at the other school(s), the grade(s) you received, and the equivalent(s) which UVU awarded for the course(s).

The Transfer Credit Office uses a General Education Code System to aid in granting credit for courses not offered at UVU. Please refer to the current UVU Course Catalog under Graduation and General Education then General Education Code System for questions you may have regarding codes when viewing how your credits have transferred to UVU.

How to check Transfer Credit Awarded via myUVU

View transferred credits through myUVU

Students at Library