Frequently Asked Questions

What things are not covered?

When traveling on University business, you will most likely spend money on airfare, hotels, meals, and other incidental items, such as business phone calls, and cab fares. Subject to your department's approval, the University will reimburse you for some of these expenses. However, for others it will not. Examples of some of the non-reimbursable items would include:
  • Pay TV and video rentals
  • Personal entertainment such as attending a professional sports event
  • Personal phone calls
  • Health club fees
  • Domestic car rental collision and damage waiver (CDW) insurance
  • Personal injury (PI) insurance coverage.
The Traveler should assume that any item not specifically addressed in the UVU Travel Policy is not allowed as a University travel expense.

What is mileage reimbursement?

Mileage is computed from the internet or mileage chart or odometer reading. If travel is to several points in one area, keep track of miles driven and list as AREA travel. Mileage is reimbursed at the allowable rate. Reimbursement rates are based on the State of Utah rates. The currentrates are $0.38 per mile when a state car is available for use but not taken, and $0.56 per mile when a state car is not available or appropriate for use.

How much are meal allowances?

Meal allowances are given based on the State of Utah rates as follows:

  In-state Out-of-state
Breakfast $10.00 $10.00
Lunch $13.00 $14.00
Dinner $16.00 $22.00
Total $39.00 $46.00

In order to receive a full day's allowance, the traveler must leave before 7 a.m. and return after 7 p.m. An overnight stay is required to receive any meal allowance. Meals included in or provided by conference registration fees will not be reimbursed.