Academic & Support UnitsUniversity College includes academic departments and support units to help provide
students with the tools and assistance they need to be successful in their studies
and to reach their academic goals. Learn about each of these departments and units
to find out how they can help you do your best at UVU.
- Academic Counseling Center is an ideal starting point for all University College students who are undecided
and working towards their Associates in Science (AS) or Associates in Arts (AA) in
- Academic Standards assists students in discovering and accessing the personal or college resources that
will allow them to reach their full potential.
- Academic Tutoring assists students in gaining the confidence, skills, and knowledge necessary to achieve
their academic goals, through modeling and encouraging independent learning.
- Basic Composition is dedicated to assisting students and community members in improving their literacy
(i.e., reading and writing skills, specifically at the college-level).
- Student Leadership and Success Studies promotes students' development by increasing their integration and involvement, both
academic and social, at the university and by engaging them in strategies for learning,
motivation, and leadership.
- Developmental Mathematics offers a variety of courses to effectively and efficiently improve quantitative literacy.
- English as a Second Language helps non-native English-speaking students understand and successfully use academic
English at an American university
- Learning Communities consist of two courses linked together to explore common themes and encourage partnerships
with professors and peers.
- Learning Strategies Support assists students in developing increased self-awareness of their learning challenges,
and utilizing resources to create and implement a self-improvement plan to become
active and independent learners and to achieve academic success.
- Math Lab seeks to develop student’s ability to understand and apply mathematical principles
and knowledge through tutoring, resources, and programs, which are offered in a relaxing,
- Student Success & Retention coordinates and promotes campus-wide retention and graduation initiatives.
- Writing Center provides a space where students of all disciplines may further their understanding
of writing principles and enhance writing skills.