- Be a Hero, Save a Hero - A community risk reduction program with the goal of helping to keep you, your family
and local firefighters safe.
- FEMA Learning Resource Center - This library provides information and resources on fire, emergency management and
other all-hazards subjects. With a collection of more than 208,000 books, reports,
audiovisual materials and indexed articles, the library supports National Emergency
Training Center (NETC) student and faculty research, classroom lectures, and development
of course materials.
- Firefacts.org - Informative resources focused on fire safety for families and educators.
- Fire Hero Learning Network - Site delivers critical safety, operations, and community relations fire service training,
from the line firefighter through to command and leadership.
- Firefighters Support Foundation - A non-profit organization primarily dedicated to assisting firefighters and rescue
personnel perform their jobs effectively and safely through free training.
- “Half an Hour to Tragedy" - CSB Safety Video - Reviews lessons learned when four people were killed and five others were seriously
injured when propane vapors from a storage tank ignited and exploded at the Little
General convenience store and gas station in Ghent, West Virginia.
- Triumph, Tragedy and Tedium: Stories of a Salt Lake City Paramedic/Firefighter, The Sugar House Years. A book by Barry Makarewicz and Laura Howat. Chapters range
from humor to despair and everything in between. The book chronicles experiences
of Barry Makarewicz, a twenty year veteran of Salt Lake City Fire Department, sixteen
of those years as a paramedic.
- USFA Coffee Break Training, - Includes one-page training notices, with a new one posted every week, that provides
technical training and administrative tips. Each notice includes a photograph or drawing
that illustrates the point of the training lesson.
Utah Emergency Services Organizations
- Fire Marshals Association of Utah - This group of fire professionals addresses issues of fire prevention in Utah. Members
include fire marshals, fire chiefs and fire inspectors as well as associate members
representing the automatic fire sprinkler industry, fire alarm industry, fireworks
industry and others.
- Joint Council of Fire Service Organizations - The goal of this organization is to monitor Utah's legislative process, inform legislators,
foster legislation, and communicate pertinent issues to the Utah fire service community.
- Professional Fire Fighters of Utah - Protects the rights of Utah's firefighters.
- Utah Association of Emergency Medical Technicians - Dedicated to the education of EMTs throughout Utah by sponsoring continuing education
units (CEU) and by providing an annual conference.
- Utah Bureau of EMS - The lead agency for Utah's EMS system. It is housed within the Utah Department of
Health. It promotes a statewide system of emergency and trauma care to reduce morbidity
and mortality through prevention, awareness, and quality intervention.
- Utah Department of Public Safety - Provides statewide public safety services and includes the Division of Emergency Management
and State Fire Marshal's Office, among others.
- Utah Department of Public Safety: Division of Emergency Management - Coordinates emergency management efforts between federal, state and local governments.
These efforts include preparedness, recovery, response and mitigation.
- Utah Division of Forestry, Fire & State Lands - Responsible for forest health, responding to wildland fires, and managing sovereign
lands in Utah.
- Utah Emergency Management Association - Improves and sustains emergency management in Utah by providing educational and networking
opportunities for the Utah emergency management community.
- Utah Fire Caucus - A non-partisan information resource for Utah legislators on fire and life safety issues.
- Utah Fire Info - Information relating to current and recent wildland fires in Utah.
- Utah Museum of Fire Service History and Firefighter Memorial - Information on the museum which currently includes about 50 antique apparatus. It
also houses other loaned or donated trucks, uniforms, turnouts, equipment, historical
documents, books, videos, photographs and memorabilia.
- Utah State Fire Chiefs Association - The mission of this organization includes providing a medium of exchange for information
and ideas between fire chiefs.
- Utah State Fire Marshal - The State Fire Marshal's Office is committed to be a leader in the prevention of fires,
determination of fires, and enforcement of safety programs throughout the state of
- Utah State Firemen’s Association - This organization initiates and maintains active communication in all aspects of the
fire service including training, education, scholarships, fire prevention, law, legislative
action, codes, and more.
National Emergency Services Organizations
- Federal Alliance for Safe Homes - The non-profit Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH®) is the country’s leading consumer
advocate for strengthening homes and safeguarding families from natural and manmade
- International Association of Fire Chiefs - The organization represents the leadership of firefighters and emergency responders
worldwide; its members are the world's leading experts in firefighting, emergency
medical services, terrorism response, hazardous materials spills, natural disasters,
search and rescue, and public safety policy. Since 1873, the IAFC has provided a forum
for fire and emergency service leaders to exchange ideas, develop professionally and
uncover the latest products and services available to first responders.
- International Association of Fire Fighters - The IAFF represents more than 300,000 full-time professional fire fighters and paramedics
in more than 3,100 affiliates. IAFF members protect more than 85 percent of the population
in communities throughout the United States and Canada. The IAFF is also one of the
most active lobbying organizations in Washington, DC. The IAFF Political Action Committee,
FIREPAC, is among the top 25 federal PACs among the more than 4,000 in the country.
- International Code Council - This is a member-focused association. It is dedicated to developing model codes and
standards used in the design, build and compliance process to construct safe, sustainable,
affordable and resilient structures. Most U.S. communities and many global markets choose the International Codes.
- National Association of EMTs - more than 50,000 members strong, the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians
(NAEMT) is the nation’s only organization solely dedicated to representing the professional
interests of all EMS practitioners, including paramedics, emergency medical technicians,
emergency medical responders and other professionals working in prehospital emergency
- National Fallen Firefighters Foundation - It's mission is to honor and remember America's fallen fire heroes, to provided resources
to assist their survivors in rebuilding their lives, and work within the fire service
community to reduce firefighter deaths and injuries.
- Everyone Goes Home - Firefighter life safety initiatives by the National Fallen Firefighter Foundation.
- National Fire Protection Association - The mission of the international nonprofit NFPA, established in 1896, is to reduce
the worldwide burden of fire and other hazards on the quality of life by providing
and advocating consensus codes and standards, research, training, and education.
- National Volunteer Fire Council - the leading nonprofit membership association representing the interests of the volunteer
fire, EMS, and rescue services. The NVFC serves as the voice of the volunteer in the national arena and provides invaluable
tools, resources, programs, and advocacy for first responders across the nation.
- U.S. Fire Administration - As an entity of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management
Agency, the mission of the U.S. Fire Administration is to provide national leadership
to foster a solid foundation for our fire and emergency services stakeholders in prevention,
preparedness and response.
- Volunteer Fire Department Organization - Developed to provide a place for volunteer firefighters to come and share information,
VolunteerFD.org was built to address the unique issues that all volunteer departments
share. Members of VolunteerFD benefit from an active community of first responders
who, like themselves, balance their professional life with the life of a firefighter
Fire & Emergency Services Resources and Reports
- Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting Working Group (ARFFWG) - A non-profit international organization dedicated to the sharing of Aircraft Rescue
& Fire Fighting (ARFF) information between airport firefighters, municipal fire departments,
and all others concerned with aircraft fire fighting.
- Asbestos.com - Firefighters are exposed to different types of asbestos, most likely while fighting
a fire on a building constructed with asbestos. This puts them more at risk for developing
mesothelioma and other asbestos-related illnesses. This site addresses and provides
resources for those with these types of illnesses.
- EMS Village - Professional social networking and resource site for EMS professionals.
- Life Alert - Emergency Protection for All Ages - Life Alert ® is a Personal Emergency Response and Home Medical Alert System company
that saves lives from catastrophic outcomes, using a unique technology to provide
superior home audio monitoring protection.
- Fire Corps - One of five partner programs under Citizen Corps, the Federal Emergency Management Agency's grassroots strategy to bring together
government and community leaders to involve citizens in all-hazards emergency preparedness
and resilience. Citizen Corps partner programs share the common goal of helping communities
prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies of all kinds.
- Fire Engineering Magazine - Provides training, education, and management information for fire and emergency services
personnel worldwide. Articles are written by experts in the fire service and focus
- Firefighter Cancer Foundation - Promotes knowledge, awareness, and advocacy for the firefighter diagnosed with cancer. The
foundation supports active and retired firefighters by promoting occupation specific
cancer screening and wellness testing.
- Firefighter Close Calls - Site brings forward the issues involving injury and death to firefighters... often issues
that are ignored, quickly forgotten or just not talked about. With the attitude that in order for firefighters to survive the dangers of the job,
we must learn how other firefighters have had "Close Calls" and even been injured or killed,
- Fire on the Web - Provides links to fire related software, experimental fire data and mpeg/quick time
movies of fire tests that can be downloaded and/or viewed with a web browser.
- Firewise - NFPA’s Firewise Communities Program encourages local solutions for safety by involving homeowners in taking individual
responsibility for preparing their homes from the risk of wildfire.
- Flashover TV - The first online video community exclusively for firefighting professionals to upload,
view and share fire videos.
- Incident Rehab Guide - NFPA Fire Service Occupational Safety and Health technical committee developed this
document devoted entirely to rehab operations.
- Modern Fire Behavior - This site is meant to serve as a clearinghouse of news and training information related
to Modern Fire Behavior and Modern Building Construction Research, Tactics, and Practices
along with actual street experiences.
- Responder Knowledge Base provides first responders with information on technology, resources, products, programs,
standards, testing and evaluation, and best practices. It's offered by the Department
of Homeland Security Science and Technology Directorate.
- Rural Fire Department Resources for Local Officials - A wide range of information available regarding all aspects of fire department operation
including funding sources for operations, facilities, firefighter equipment, fire
trucks and training, and first responder emergencies.
- USFA Firefighter Fatalities - A page created by the U.S. Fire Administration that provides information on the causes of on-duty firefighter
fatalities that occur in the United States.
- Utah Fire History Collection - Part of Utah Valley University's Digital Collection Database, this particular collection
includes images of community or district fire stations around Utah.
UFRA Scholarship Information
|Support the Utah Fire & Rescue Academy RFG Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship supports students majoring in Emergency Services. These students
plan to work as one of the following: structural firefighter, wildland firefighter,
emergency medical technician, or paramedic.