GETTING VETERANS (GI BILL) BENEFITS AT UVU
The UVU Veterans Office is proud to serve those who serve with pride. Please contact us with any questions.
UVU is a SOC Consortium member, that adheres to the SOC Principles and Criteria, and welcomes active-duty, reserve, National Guard Military Personnel, Veterans, and their families to be part of our student body.
Note: Many of the steps may be completed simultaneously.
STEP 1: APPLY TO UVU & COMPLETE STEPS TO BE ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER FOR UVU CLASSES
A welcome packet with pertinent information will also be sent in the mail within one week of your acceptance to UVU. This packet will contain a Getting Started at UVU Checklist with additional steps which must be completed in order to register for classes at UVU.
STEP 2: KNOW YOUR VA CHAPTER
- CHAPTER 30: Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
- CHAPTER 32: Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
- CHAPTER 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill
- CHAPTER 35: Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
- CHAPTER 1606: Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
- CHAPTER 1607: Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)
STEP 3: APPLY TO USE THE GI BILL AT UVU
To link to the VONAPP and view a list of VA Forms, view UVU's Required Veterans Forms web page under VA Forms.
* It can take 4-8 weeks for the VA to process your request for GI Bill benefits. You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (22-0557) from the VA once your request is accepted.
You may continue to complete the remaining steps while waiting for the VA to process your request.
STEP 4: SUBMIT REQUIRED FORMS TO UVU VETERANS OFFICE
Submit a copy of the following VA Forms to the UVU Veterans Office.
- DD 214 (Member 4 Copy)
- If applicable, NOBE and/or Kicker Contract
- Certificate of Eligibility (22-0557)
* Read all forms carefully.
- Class Schedule Form (required every semester)
- Policy and Procedures Form
- Additional forms may be required (as indicated on the UVU Required Forms page)
STEP 5: SUBMIT OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS TO UVU ADMISSIONS OFFICE
* Transcripts must be submitted and evaluated prior to completing 2 UVU Semesters... EVEN if you do not intend to use those classes at UVU. Your benefits may be discontinued until this information is received and evaluated by UVU.
View UVU's Incoming Transfer Credit and Transfer FAQs web pages for detailed information.
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT INFORMATION
VA benefits/payments are not released until after UVU Tuition Payment deadlines.
- The UVU Financial Aid Office provides scholarships, grants, short-term loans, etc. to aid in payment.
- The VA offers an Advance Pay option which releases benefits/payments prior to UVU payment deadlines.
- A Federal or State Tuition Assistance program may be available. Contact your Unit for more information.
- UVU recognizes recipients of the Purple Heart with a Tuition Waiver option; however, student must still pay Fees and complete the Veterans Purple Heart Tuition Waiver Request Form on UVU's Required Veterans Forms web page.
VA benefits/payments are not released until enrollment verification is complete.
- Your file number is your Social Security Number
- Phone: 1-877-823-2378
- Online: www.gibill.va.gov (click on W.A.V.E - Verify School Attendance)
- 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI BILL 1) - On your phone, Enter 1 then 0