PAYMENT OF VETERANS (GI BILL) BENEFITS AT UVUIf any changes are made to your UVU class schedule, you MUST notify the UVU Veterans Office immediately as this may change your VA benefits/payments which may result in an overpayment (owing money back to the VA).
REGULAR MONTHLY PAYMENTS
VA benefits/payments are released to the student monthly based on class attendance (after certification is processed by the VA).
- CHAPTERS 30, 1606 & 1607: released after verification of enrollment
- CHAPTERS 33 & 35: released at the end of each month
- CHAPTER 31: contact your case manager
- Training Time:
- Based on UVU credits applied toward degree and Semester/Class begin/end dates
- Status (figures based on a 15 week Semester):
- Full-time: 12 credit hours minimum
- 3/4 time: 9-11 credit hours
- 1/2 time: 6-8 credit hours
- less than 1/2 time, more than 1/4 time: 4-5 credit hours
- 1/4 time: 1-3 credit hours
- CHAPTER 30: below 1/2 time only paid amount of Tuition & Fees
- CHAPTER 31: below 1/2 time not authorized/paid
- CHAPTER 33: above 1/2 time for block or full 15 week Semester
- After processing your VA certification, the VA will send an e-mail indicating Certified UVU Credits & Status
- View the official GI Bill Education Benefit Payment Rates web page
ADVANCE PAY (CHAPTERS 30, 35 & 1606)
Students are eligible for advance payment when:
- Admitted to UVU and living in the local area, and
- Student is registered & is eligible to be certified for at least half-time, and
- UVU Veterans Office receives the UVU Class Schedule form, and
- UVU Veterans Office receives the Request for Advance Payment form (at least 30 days before beginning of semester), and
- Must not have received GI Bill benefits during the previous semester.
- Sign a release form in the UVU Veterans Office,
- Take the release form to the UVU Cashiers Office to receive their check (picture id required).
- Math Lab: All MATH & Statistics Courses
- Academic Tutoring: All courses except MATH & Writing
- Writing Center: All writing related courses & assignments
- Learning Strategies Support: Personalized assistance in learning skills (testing, reading & note taking, study skills, learning styles, etc)
- VA Tutorial Assistance is not available in cases where the student merely wishes to raise his/her grade level.
- VA Tutorial Assistance is available for classes certified with the VA in which the student needs aid to receive a passing grade.
- Student must submit the Request for VA Tutorial Assistance form to the UVU Veterans Office.
- Student must pay for the tutoring assistance at the time of service then is reimbursed by the VA.
- Contact the UVU Veterans Office if you are considering this option.
OVERPAYMENT (OWING MONEY BACK TO THE VA)
- Reduces the number of credit hours after certification is sent to the VA
- Drops out of school after certification is sent to the VA
- Takes classes that are not authorized for payment
- Accepts advance pay and does not attend school
- Receives 'W' or 'UW' grades