Welcome to Utah Valley University! UVU's service region includes Utah, Wasatch, and Summit counties. Located near the Wasatch Mountains, many students choose UVU for its ideal location. Others come for access to a dynamic economy, employment and career opportunities. Known for its high moral climate, campus is recognized as one of the safest colleges in the country and is home to the largest LDS Institute program in the world. Within 20 miles, students enjoy winter sports, hiking, mountain biking, water recreation and more.
UVU's Social Stream is the social media aggregator for all accounts associated with Utah Valley University. Come see what's happening in our schools, departments and student organizations. Join the conversation!
UVU's Newsroom blog is the best place to find out what's new in academics, arts and entertainment, conferences and the UVU community. You can also stay up to date with the amazing engaged learning experiences our students are involved in every day.
Search for contact information for every UVU faculty member and staff employee. You can search by last name or department to find who you're looking for.
UVU is a teaching institution where students learn, do and become. At UVU, the fusion of academic and hands-on learning is referred to as "engaged learning." Along with the institution's long-rooted commitment to serving the needs of the community, UVU's emphasis on engaged learning led to its classification as "community engaged" by the Carnegie Foundation. UVU's Grants for Engaged Learning Office oversees a $400,000 grant program in support of engaged learning projects.
At UVU, students participate in internships, community service and curriculum that includes the "how" along with the "what" and "why."
Historical Development Summary
Utah Valley University was established in 1941 as Central Utah Vocational School (CUVS) with the primary function of providing war production training. CUVS was part of the Provo School District located in south Provo. The institution received a state appropriation in March 1945 of $50,000 to operate for the 1945-1947 biennium. In 1947, the school received funding as a permanent state institution.
A new site for the school was acquired on University Avenue in Provo in 1948; in the 1952, the state appropriated funding for the first construction on that site. As enrollments grew, the state acquired over 185 acres in southwest Orem and the first building was completed in 1977. Today, the University’s facilities consist of a combined total of 412 acres with 50 buildings with campuses in Orem, Provo, and Heber City and property in Vineyard and at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi.
In 1963, the school’s name changed to Utah Trade Technical Institute to reflect its growing role in technical training. The name again changed in 1967 to Utah Technical College at Provo. The institution was approved in 1966 to grant Associate of Applied Science degrees, in 1967 to offer general education courses, in 1971 to grant Associate of Science degrees (discontinued in 1974 and reinstated in 1981), and in 1987 to grant Associate of Arts degrees. With its expanded degree offerings, the institution’s name changed again to Utah Valley Community College in 1987. In 1993, the institution’s name changed to Utah Valley State College and the mission was expanded to include the offering of bachelor’s degrees. On July 1, 2008, the institution underwent another mission and name change to Utah Valley University and began offering master degree programs.
Throughout its history, UVU has responded to its service region’s (Utah, Wasatch and Summit counties) population changes and business/industry needs. This responsiveness is evidenced in its mission, program offering, degree level, and enrollment changes.
Sources: A Miracle in Utah Valley—The Story of Utah Technical College 1941-1982, Wilson W. Sorensen
Utah Valley University Self-study Report, 2010
Previous UVU Fact Books
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (Public Law 110-315) (HEOA) was enacted on August 14, 2008, and reauthorized the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA). The Act requires the University to provide current and prospective students important information about the University.