What is Service-Learning?
Service-learning at Utah Valley University is an engaged teaching and learning strategy
in which students participate in structured service activities that:
- meet identified community needs,
- enhance discipline-based knowledge and skills,
- strengthen the community,
- encourage in-depth understanding of course content and a broader appreciation of the
- immerse students in the subject matter and its application, and
- enhance the students' sense of civic responsibility and community engagement.
(see Bringle & Hatch, Michigan Journal of Community Service; National & Community
Service Trust Act; Corporation for National and Community Service; National Youth
How can the Volunteer & Service-Learning Center help you?
- Give ideas and examples of possible service-learning projects
- Provide contacts to community agencies and officials supportive of service-learning
- Assist in developing community partnerships
- Help students identify useful service-learning projects
- Direct you to useful resources to learn more about service-learning
- Guide you in designating your course as a service-learning course