Academic Holds

Why do I have a hold?

There are many reasons why you may have a hold on your account, and they don’t all come from Academic Standards. Academic Standards can put holds on your account according to your Academic Standing. The hold you have will determine how you will get it removed. See our “How to View Holds” to check if your hold is a Standards hold.

What is "Academic Standing"?

Academic Standing is your academic performance resulting from your grade point average (GPA). Your performance is measured these ways:

Good Standing = GPA of 2.0 or higher

Academic Warning = GPA for the most recent term is below a 2.0, but cumulative GPA is above a 2.0

Academic Probation = GPA for both your cumulative and current semester are below a 2.0. It is possible to be placed on Academic Probation your very first semester.

Continued Probation = Your cumulative and current semester GPA for two continuous semesters is blow a 2.0.

Suspension = A student on continued probation who receives a subsequent semester GPA below a 2.0.

Dismissal = A student who fails to comply with the requirements of the academic suspension re-admission requirements.

How do I remove an Academic Standards Hold?

The hold you have will determine how you will get it removed.

Academic Warning hold: Complete the online Academic Warning workshop and the quiz. If this is your first time on Academic Warning, the hold will be removed after you finish the quiz with 100%. If you have ever been on Academic Warning before, you will need to contact your major Academic Advisor after completing the workshop and quiz to clear your hold.

Academic Probation hold: Complete the online Probation Workshop and Probation Workbook. Take the completed Probation Workbook with you to meet with your major Academic Advisor.

Continued Probation hold: Complete the online Continued Probation Workshop and Continued Probation Workbook. Meet with an Academic Standards Counselor. Take your completed workbook with you to meet with the standards counselor.

Suspension Hold: You must sit out for at least one semester. While sitting out, you will need to submit a Petition for Suspension Review. Your hold may be removed after the petition has been reviewed and additional steps outlined have been completed.

Do I have to complete the workbook (packet) before I come in to meet with my advisor?

YES! The workbook provides valuable information for your advisor and gives you time to consider why you may be struggling in classes.

I'm and online student and can't come in for an appointment. What should I do?

Contact the advisor or academic standards department to see what alternatives can be provided. Often we can schedule a phone appointment and work through email or to get the workbook, especially if you are out of state or doing all online courses. Many advising offices can also do virtual meetings through Microsoft Teams. Contact your advisor directly to see what options you have. 

I've done the Warning Workshop and Quiz but my hold has not been removed.

This may not be your first time on Academic Warning. In order for the hold to automatically be removed it has to be the very first time ever at UVU you have been placed on Academic Warning. This includes concurrent enrollment courses done through UVU. If you have a question about whether you have been on Warning before, please contact your major advisor.

Try using a different browser. Sometimes applications like the warning workshop link work better in Safari, Chrome, or Firefox.

It is possible due to technology and application upgrades the link is temporarily unavailable. Wait 24 hours and then try again. If it is still not working please let Academic Standards know: (academicstandards@uvu.edu)


Why do I have to do a Grade Check?

Grade checks are required for students on Continued Probation, Academic Suspension, and Academic Dismissal. It is our department’s opportunity to connect with you to make sure classes are going well and you have access to the resources you need to be successful.

Do I have to come in to Academic Standards every semester?

It is possible that you may be on Continued Probation or Continued Suspension for multiple semesters. When you are on Continued Probation or Continued Suspension you stay on Continued Probation or Suspension until your cumulative GPA reaches a 2.0 and you move back to good standing.

During this time, you are required to maintain a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher to avoid suspension and are required to meet with an Academic Standards counselor to continue to plan for your success. You will also continue to do Grade Checks.

We understand that our students have multiple roles they are juggling while in school and we want to help. Please contact us if you have any questions.

How do I check the status of my Suspension Petition?

Make sure you are checking your myUVU Gmail account. All official notices regarding your Suspension Petition will be sent to your official UVU email.

Suspension petitions can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to review after the deadline. If you still have questions about your petition, and have not heard anything through your UVU email, contact our department coordinator at 801-863-8075.

If I'm having continued academic challenges who should I talk with?

You are always welcome to meet with any of the Academic Standards counselors to plan for future success. We also partner with the Learning Strategist and Academic Tutoring and the Writing Center.

Withdrals & Course Retakes

What is the difference between an Official Withdraw (W) and an Unofficial Withdrawal (UW)?

An Official Withdraw (W) can only happen during the first part of the semester. Through the online registration system you will have an option to Withdraw through the deadline. Check the student timetable for the deadline for Official Withdraws. W’s do not count toward your GPA.

A “UW” is an unofficial withdraw and is given when you stop attending class for any reason without officially withdrawing from the course. It is counted like a failing grade on your GPA.

What is the difference between and Unofficial Withdrawal (UW) grade and an E grade?

A “UW” is an unofficial withdraw and is given when you stop attending class for any reason without officially withdrawing from the course. It is counted like a failing grade on your GPA.

An “E” grade is a failing grade.

I have an Unofficial Withdrawal (UW) in a class. How can I remove this?

You can retake the class … OR …

For “extenuating circumstances” request a Petition for Exception to Academic Policy form from the Registrar. You will need documentation for your claim. Drop off the completed form at the Registrar’s Office in BA 106.

If I have to repeat a class does the first grade stay on my records?

Yes! However, the most recent grade is the grade used to determine your GPA (even if you got a lower grade most recently). Your old grade is excluded from your GPA.


The only exception is if the course is an “R” course (i.e. SLSS 100R). These courses are intended to be repeated for credit so we cannot replace those grades through retakes.

If I take the same class at another school will it replace my grade?

No. You must retake the same course at UVU in order to have it replaced.

Can I take a similar class and have it replace a poor grade?

No. The University requires that you take the exact same course number. If you got an E in Math 1050, you will need to retake Math 1050 to replace the grade. Math 1040 will not replace that grade.

However, you do NOT need to take it from the same teacher or the same format (i.e. you can do an online class as a face to face class for your repeat or vice versa).

What happens if I get really sick or for some reason can no longer attend school after the withdraw date has passed?

If you have extenuating circumstances such as a serious illness or a death in the family, you can petition to withdraw from your classes. If your petition is granted your classes will show up as an Official Withdraw (W) and it will not affect your GPA.

For more information and to request the petition form, see your major advisor.