Frequently Asked Questions

Table of Contents

Getting Started
Selecting Classes
Choosing a Major
Making the Grade
Earning Your Degree
More Information

You've got questions. Here are the answers! This section provides answers to the questions you ask most including: selecting classes, choosing a major, grades, transferring, graduation and campus resources.

gettingStartedGetting Started

How do I become a UVU student?
1. Apply
2. Provide ACT test scores if under age 21. Take the UVU assessment test if needed for English and math placement
3. Complete orientation
4. Meet with your academic advisor

NOTE: Non-degree seeking students taking 6 or less credits may register without assessment or orientation.

What if I've completed the steps above, but the computer won't let me register?
You may have a hold on your account. Ask an advisor to find out why.

I did UVU concurrent enrollment; what do I need to do to enroll on campus?
You will need assessment and orientation before you meet with your advisor. You will also need to reapply if you haven't taken a concurrent enrollment course in the past year.

Do I have to take an assessment test?
Yes, unless you have qualifying ACT or SAT scores or college credit for English and math. Take the UVU assessment test free of charge and without an appointment at Wolverine Services 101. There's no time limit and the average time for all tests is two hours.

Note: The ACT is required of all students under the age of 21. UVU maintains its open door policy.

Do I have to take the courses the assessment places me into?
Yes, assessment scores place you into the course where you will be most successful. If you would like to take a higher level course, you may retake the assessment test after one week (and once a semester thereafter). Information on study helps for these tests are available online.

I took an assessment at another school; do I still need to take UVU's test?
We can accept assessment scores from another school if the assessment was the ACCUPLACER test. Bring those scores to Testing Services in WS 101.

Do I need to do orientation?
Yes! Learn about the great opportunities that UVU has to offer. Every student needs to attend UV Experience in the fall, and complete Webstart, the online pre-advisement.

Now that I'm registered, what do I do next?
Pay tuition by the payment deadline. (All important dates can be found on UV Link.) After you pay tuition, buy your books, get an ID card, obtain a parking pass and get involved on campus.

I attended UVU in the past; what do I need to do to come back?
If it's been longer than one year, you need to re-apply. No application fee will be charged.

(Back to Top)

selecting Classes Selecting Classes

How many credits should I take?
A full-time student will take 12-18 credits. An average load is 13-16. Credits are hours of class-time a week. A formula for success is: for every one hour of class, do two hours of homework. For example: 12 hours in class + 24 hours homework = 36 hours a week. You decide what works for you.

When do I start taking math and English?
Your best option is to enroll in these courses your first semester.

Should I take general education courses first?
Mix general education courses with your major courses. Take at least one or more courses for your major each semester. Meet with your advisor to know which courses to take each semester.

What electives should I choose?
Choose electives that you would enjoy that relate to your major or will transfer. Taking CLSS 1000: Student Success is highly recommended.

A course I want to register for is showing as full; how do I get into it?
Only the instructor can authorize extra students in a course. An add card, signed by the professor, and a departmental stamp are necessary to add the course. It is best to see if another course will fit your schedule.

Why won't the computer let me enroll in a course?
You may not have met the prerequisites for the course, your entrance and exit dates may be incorrect, you may have a hold, or you haven't been cleared to register. Ask us to look at your records and explain the reason.

NOTE: Online registration ends the week after school starts. After this, registration must be completed directly with the Registration office.

Why is there a hold on my record?

For new students, you will have a standard "academic advisor clearance" hold. Check your holds on UVLink. If you have additional questions about your hold, contact ACC, and we would be happy to explain your hold.

Can I drop my courses after the deadline?
Generally, no, but if it is past the deadline and you have an extenuating circumstance, you can petition to drop. If a petition is required, obtain one at One Stop in the BA building.

NOTE: If you are receiving financial aid, check with that office before withdrawing from course(s) to determine the impact on your status to keep or receive future financial aid.

(Back to Top)

Choosing MajorChoosing a Major

How do I change my major?
Meet with the advisor for that major. Ask us for names and office numbers of advisors. Your advisor or the catalog has a listing of courses needed.

Do I need to have a major if I am just getting an associate degree?
Yes! Every student has a major. If you are undecided, or if UVU does not offer the bachelor degree you want, you can be placed into an Associate of Science or an Associate of Arts with an individualized emphasis.

Is help available in choosing a major?
Yes, come visit the Academic Counseling Center in WB-147. The following services are available:
  • Take an interest and/or personality assessment
  • Browse the career library
  • Use the CHOICES computer program
  • Visit with an advisor for one-on-one counseling

What is the difference between AA/AS or AAS?
AA is an Associate in Arts. AS is an Associate in Science. Both include 36 general education credits in addition to major or elective courses. Ten electives for the AA must be a foreign language. Typically, if you plan to pursue a bachelor degree, you will want to obtain an AA or an AS. The AAS degree is an Associate in Applied Science. It includes 16 general education credits and 48 major credits. This degree is a job-ready degree. AAS degrees won't transfer to another school; only credits and specific courses transfer. It is possible to pursue a bachelor degree after an AAS if you complete the rest of the general education courses.

(Back to Top)

Making Grade Making the Grade

What is a UW and what is an E?
A UW is an unofficial withdrawal, meaning you stopped attending the course. An E is a failing grade. Both count the same in your GPA. You may petition to have a UW changed to a W, so it will no longer affect your GPA. The best remedy for an E or UW is retaking the course, but you will want to consult with your academic advisor for advice.

Can I erase some of my grades?
No; once a grade is earned, it cannot be erased. The instructor is the only person able to alter a grade. You may retake the course and the second grade will be counted in your GPA rather than the first. (The first grade stays on your transcript, but a note is included indicating it is no longer counting in your GPA.)


(Back to Top)

Transferring Transferring

How do I get credit for courses I took at another college?
You must contact the other school and have an official transcript sent to:
Utah Valley University Admissions
800 West University Parkway
Orem, UT 84058

Why didn't all the courses I took at another college transfer here?
Any college level course in which you received a C- or better will transfer to UVU. They may not meet the same requirements as they did at your previous school. An advisor can explain what transferred and why. Pre-college and BYU religion courses will not transfer to UVU.

How do I get my credit from UVU transferred to another college?
Request a transcript through UVLink or fill out a transcript request form available at the Registration office and pay the fee.

How many credits should I take if I decide to transfer?
A transfer student has usually taken 30 credits. Otherwise, the school will review your high school records in addition to college transcripts to determine your eligibility for admission. If you finish an associate degree, you will complete 60+ credits. With an associate degree, your general education may be complete at the school to which you will transfer. Schools often encourage students to finish an associate degree before transferring, especially within the State of Utah.

What courses transfer to other colleges?
The school you transfer to will determine what credits they will accept and how; it is best to check with them. We do have information on how credits transfer to Utah schools.

(Back to Top)

EEarning Degreearning Your Degree

When should I meet with my advisor to start taking bachelor level courses?
As soon as you decide on your major, you should meet with your advisor. Our office assists with general education advising for some majors, but you will want to visit with the departmental advisor when deciding major courses.

What bachelor degrees does UVU offer?
A list of current bachelor degrees is available in the catalog/class schedule or at our front desk. We have over 58 bachelor degrees and new majors are approved each year. We have a list of degrees that are currently under development; make sure you look at an updated list!

What do I need to do to matriculate into a bachelor degree program?
You will need to meet the prerequisite requirements and make application. The departmental advisor will then change your major and classify you as a bachelor degree-seeking student. Some majors require paying a matriculation fee.

What courses do I need to graduate?
Associate degrees require 60-64 credits and bachelor degrees require 124-128, depending on the major. You must complete specific courses; just having credits is not enough. Requirements for graduation must be met. To know what you still need to graduate, visit with your advisor or print out a degree evaluation on UV Link.

What do I do to graduate?
Check with an advisor to ensure that all the requirements for the degree are met. Check the graduation web site for an on-line application and other graduation information. Then, by the deadline, apply to graduate in BA 114 and pay the fee.

(Back to Top)

More InfoNeed More Information?

Grants, loans or scholarships
Financial Aid, BA 105, (801) 863-8442 or visit their Web site at

Services for students with disabilities
Accessibility Services, WB 146, (801) 863-8747 or visit their Web site at

Support for students of diverse cultures
Multicultural Center, WB 146, (801) 863-8357 or visit their Web site at

Finding a job or help with a resume
Career and Student Employment, BA 113, (801) 863-8395 or visit their Web site at

Health care or mental health for students
Student Health Services, SC 221, (801) 863-8876 or visit their Web site at

Health insurance
(877) 334-4888

Study abroad
International Studies, WB 101, (801)863-8709 or visit their Web site at

Co-op or internship credit for work experience
Career and Student Employment, BA113, (801)863-8395 or visit their Web site at

Parking pass
Parking Services, (801)863-8188 or visit their Web site at

Off Campus Housing Office, SC 103e, (801)863-8659 or visit their Web site at