Supplemental Items


As UVU works to address the COVID-19 pandemic, please know that the state of Utah is taking the position that any decisions institutions make to mitigate a public health emergency will not negatively impact a student’s residency status. If a student does not return from Spring break and resides out of state, that time will not be counted against them for purposes of residency status.

Please email for further assistance or clarification.

Residency Documents

Students who attend UVU from another state will be required to pay non-resident tuition rates. However, after twelve continuous months, and not being claimed on a tax return filed outside of Utah, it is possible for students to apply for Utah residency for tuition purposes and significantly decrease the cost of attending UVU.

For an in-depth guide to applying for residency please look at our residency Green Sheet.

Green Sheet

Regardless of how you may qualify for residency, all students are required to:

Additionally, student must submit the following items (obtained at least 90 days before the start of the semester if you are using the twelve month rule) if you wish to gain residency.

  • Utah Driver License: If the student has a disability that prevents them from obtaining a driver license they must obtain a Utah Identification Card.
  • Utah Vehicle Registration: If the student does not own the vehicle they are driving, they need to submit the vehicle registration to prove they are not listed on the registration.
  • Utah Voter Registration: Only necessary for U.S. citizens.

Residency Documents Deadlines

Required verification documentation can only be submitted after the application has been completed and processed.

No residency changes can be processed after the third week of the semester.

  • Fall Semester: March 15th - August 1st
  • Spring Semester: October 1st - December 1st
  • Summer Semester: Resident tuition is charged to all students during the summer. Resident tuition will not continue to be awarded after summer for students who have not applied for and granted residency.

International Affidavit of Support Form

International students wishing to attend UVU must be issued an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility before they can receive a visa. Prior to being issued an I-20, sponsors of international students wishing to enroll at UVU must submit the Affidavit of Support Form indicating financial responsibility. Make sure to submit all appropriate financial documentation along with the affidavit of support. This will be located on your application account.


HB 144 Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request

What is HB 144?

In 2002, the Utah legislature passed House Bill 144 (HB 144). This legislation allows qualifying undocumented immigrant students to pay in-state tuition at a Utah college or university.

How To Qualify for HB 144

To qualify for the HB 144 tuition waiver a student must:

  1. Be admitted as a student to Utah Valley University.
  2. Have attended high school in the state of Utah for three or more years.
  3. Must have graduated from a Utah high school or the equivalent of a high school diploma (e.g. GED) prior to the start of the term
  4. Cannot have registered for college classes prior to the Fall of the 2002-2003 academic school year.
  5. Cannot hold a non-immigrant visa.
  6. Must have filed an application to legalize their immigration status or be willing to file an application when they become eligible.

How To Apply for HB 144

Once you are admitted as a student to the University, complete the HB 144 Affidavit for Non-Resident Tuition Exemption form online. Click apply now, select HB 144 Tuition Waiver, sign in, and submit form.

Make sure you also submit your official high school transcript with a graduation date on it.

The General Scholarship Application must be completed in order to access the HB 144 Affidavit for Non-Resident Tuition Exemption form.

Deadline for Fall Semester is September 11, 2020.

Please note: If you have attended multiple institutions in the State of Utah, you must fill out an HB 144 affidavit at each institution you attend.

Affidavit of Completion of Homeschool

If you are a homeschooled student and plan on applying to UVU, you will need to submit your transcript and the affidavit of completion of homeschool. Make sure that proper instructions are adhered to regarding signatures and notarization.

Affidavit of Completion of Homeschool