Frequently Asked Questions... and our answers!

1   How do I ADD a new course section?
2   How do I CHANGE / DELETE an existing course section?
3   When is a class section DELETED vs CANCELED ?
4   What is PRIME TIME and STANDARD day/time patterns?
5   What is CROSS-LISTING?
6   How are cross-listed MAXIMUM ENROLLMENTS determined?
7   What is a CLASSROOM AUDIT?
8   Why enforce maximum ROOM CAPACITY and ENROLLMENT LIMITS?
9   How does the ROOM SCHEDULING process work?
11   What is WAITLISTING?
12   How can STUDENT REGISTRATION be restricted?
13   How do I activate an INSTRUCTOR (contract or adjunct) or INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT ("IA")?
15   What is a College/School STAFF faculty record?
16   What defines a HYBRID section?
17   How should VIDEO home sections be coded?
19   What is a NET ADD?
20   What are Part of Term CODES?
21   How do I add or change a COURSE / LAB FEE?
22   How do I schedule SUPPLEMENTAL TIME for a course section?
1 How do I ADD a new course section?

NEW!  CourseLeaf CLSS (Section Scheduler) -

  • Use CLSS to create new sections of an active course. 
  • Requires software access and training.
  • Currently, CLSS is only used during the initial proofing period of a semester.
  • Upon full implementation, all scheduling requests will be submitted in CLSS (tba).

Class Scheduling Add form

  • This form should only be used when directed by the Academic Scheduling office.
  • Requests can be submitted by an authorized scheduler or Department Chair.
  • Phone / Email requests cannot be processed.

2 How do I CHANGE / CANCEL an existing course section?

NEW!  CourseLeaf CLSS (Section Scheduler) - 

  • Use CLSS to modify, cancel, or delete course sections. 
  • Requires software access and training.
  • Currently, CLSS is only used during the initial proofing period of a semester.
  • Upon full implementation, all scheduling requests will be submitted in CLSS (tba).

After the final proofing period is over, changes and cancellations for existing course sections are requested via email to  To avoid any confusion or unnecessary delays, always include the following information:

  • semester code (we're actively processing in 4+ semesters at any given time, so be specific!)
  • CRN
  • subject code
  • course number
  • section number
  • action requested

Note:  Requests will only be processed when submitted by an authorized scheduler or Department Chair.  Phone requests cannot be accepted.

3 When is a class section DELETED vs CANCELED?
  "Delete" and "Cancel" are terms often used in the same context, but they represent different actions in CLSS and Banner.

  • Sections can be deleted prior to Student registration opening.
  • The record is permanently removed from CLSS and Banner and cannot be retrieved.
  • No information will carry to the next like semester (i.e., Spring 2018 to Spring 2019).
  • Sections may be canceled if Student registration is open.
  • The record remains in CLSS and Banner and can be re-activated during the same semester.
  • Subsequent reports / online views will reflect the canceled section with "C" in the "Status" column.
  • If the record is not re-activated prior to "rolling" the semester data, it will not carry to the next like semester.

4  What is PRIME TIME and STANDARD day/time patterns?
  Course sections that start between 0800 - 1400 are considered "prime time".  Avoiding 0800 - 1400 start times for net adds, day/time changes, or supplemental time requests, will greatly increase your chances of receiving a classroom assignment.  

Some course sections receive the lowest priority for room scheduling, including:
  • prime time sections that represent a net add for your department, and
  • sections that inefficiently use general classrooms (even if they have received rooms in the past).  This applies to all pre-scheduled and generally scheduled class sections.

Standard day/time patterns were created in order to maximize UVU's space utilization, and to help our students create effective schedules.  Standard class scheduling information is available at:

Coming Soon!
Academic Affairs is working with each Dean's office to create a NEW standard day/time pattern solution. Until this is determined and officially announced, academic departments are expected to follow the currently published patterns.


Curriculum cross-listed courses provide a way for courses to be shared by multiple departments, and provide a degree of visibility (via the subject code) in a student's transcript.  Cross-listing does not facilitate faculty assignments across disciplines, or bring more money into a budget.

Unless otherwise directed by the Curriculum Office, all curriculum cross-listed courses must have the same course number, title, and course-work requirements.  In addition, the credit ratio, schedule type,  instructional method, day/time pattern, building/room assignment and instructor(s) % of responsibility must match.

  • If your department is the scheduling authority, YOU are responsible for requesting and maintaining accurate records of the approved cross-listed course offerings AND informing the partner department(s) when scheduling changes are necessary.  Any change to one course must be reflected on all courses with the same "Group ID" number.
  • For more information, see Curriculum Reports, or contact your Financial Manager.

6  How are cross-listed MAXIMUM ENROLLMENTS determined?

The “Cross-List Maximum Enrollment” number drives when all sections in a group will close, and supersedes the individual section maximum enrollment numbers.

  • A "blanket" number (i.e., 100, 230, 999, etc.) is not allowed as the group maximum for any grouping, including video and internet.  The maximum enrollment limit must reflect the total of all sections in order for Faculty Workload to calculate properly.
  • Review the Cross-Listed Sections report to verify your section is grouped correctly.
  • NOTE:  As of 201120 (per AVPAA direction), video, tv and internet groupings cannot exceed a maximum enrollment of 200.

Consider the following examples:

Simple grouping:  Each section will close separately as they reach their individual maximum enrollment limit.

HIST 3200

Curriculum cross-listed grouping:  Each section will close simultaneously when the combined total of the individual sections reaches the group maximum enrollment limit.

PSY 3620
ANTH 3620



Academic Scheduling, in cooperation with Campus Scheduling and Media Services, regularly conducts a campus-wide audit of ALL academic classrooms, computer and specialty labs, conference rooms, fitness/dance rooms, and concourses.  All accommodations are validated against UVU's scheduling software database, including: maximum student capacity, furniture type, room configuration, media equipment, lab equipment, fire exits, windows, etc.  Having more accurate information about what is available helps us improve our services to the campus.  This project typically runs during the summer term, and every effort is made to avoid classes in session. Your cooperation and understanding is appreciated.


The State of Utah adopted the International Fire Code and International Building Code.  Occupancy limitations are calculated by the type of occupancy as outlined in the code books.  As a building is designed, the initial occupancy limitations are set when the usage is determined.  Numerous factors are taken into account, including (but not limited to):  electrical loading, furniture loading, special hazards, exiting, ADA requirements, mechanical loading, etc.

The initial limitations are set at the state level.  As time goes on and usage changes, occupancies can be re-evaluated. In some cases, the occupancy can be increased; while in others, it must be decreased.  Academic Scheduling is not authorized to increase the capacity of any space without the Fire Marshal's review and approval.  Fire Marshal evaluations are extensive and are not taken lightly.  For more information, contact UVU's Police Department.

Occupancy vs Capacity

  • The "Maximum Occupancy" limit posted outside large classrooms differs from the "Capacity" ("Max") limit noted on the Master Room List.
    • Maximum Occupancy refers to the International Building Code (IBC) and is based on the square footage of the space and its exit widths. This number assumes that for some events there may be "standing room" only; it includes chairs, ADA areas, and standing room.
    • Capacity is the maximum number of students who can be registered in a course section  as assigned to a specific space.

  • Departments cannot register a student in a course section (via an override) where the maximum capacity has already been reached as it places UVU at risk. When an Advisor needs to accommodate a student, they should coordinate their efforts with the Department Chair (and/or authorized scheduler) to ensure everyone’s needs' can be appropriately met.  Requests can then be made to locate a larger classroom for a section (subject to availability), which will allow for an enrollment increase.

For more information, see:  Utah's Public Safety laws and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

9  How does the automated ROOM SCHEDULING process work?

Following the data entry of all department's initial proofing report changes, classrooms are automatically assigned to course sections by the room scheduling software.  The software considers building preferences associated with the course prefix, maximum room capacity, enrollment limits, and day/time patterns.  At this time, it is not able to consider instructor attributes (most instructors haven't been assigned at this point) or "hot-bunking" for hybrid sections.

Approximately 75% of the sections are placed within the first preference.  Five percent cannot be placed within any preference and must be processed manually on a first come-first served basis (subject to room availability as change requests are submitted and processed). 

May 2014:  ASC, IT, and a CollegeNet consultant met to review UVU's current practices, the use of CollegeNet's S25/R25 products, and options to improve UVU's room-use efficiency and placement.  In addition to some minor adjustments, the automated process was changed from "S25" to the "Optimizer" product, which significantly increased the processing speed for bulk semester scheduling.  It is important to note that much of UVU's room-use efficiency depends on standard day/time patterns AND the number of requests for non-standard exceptions.


Note:  New pre-scheduling authorities (aka “Priority Scheduling”) have not yet been determined by Academic Affairs in conjunction with each Deans office. Until Academic Scheduling is given new guidelines, it is business as usual for classroom assignments. Refer to the Master Room List for current information.

  • The primary purpose of granting classroom pre-scheduling authority to an individual department is to accommodate faculty with accessibility needs (refer to UVU policy 152 for more information).
  • Some pre-scheduling is allowed in order to accommodate specific laboratory or equipment needs.
  • Pre-scheduling authority is not granted based on an Instructor's tenure, office location, or room preference.
  • All pre-scheduling should adhere to standard class times.
  • Room utilization should be no less than 75% of maximum capacity.

11  What is WAITLISTING?

The Waitlist feature of Banner is available when student registration opens, and closes at midnight on the day before the late registration period begins.  Specific dates are noted on the Student Timetables (maintained by the Registrar's Office).  When waitlisting closes, a report is generated and emailed to each Department Chair.  Departments then determine which students may be allowed to register late (subject to approval and late fees).


How are students notified of an open seat?
When one student drops a class section, the first student on the waitlist is sent an email through myUVU directing them to register for the section.  A student has 24 hours from the time an email notice is generated to log into myUVU and register.  After that time, they are removed from the waitlist and an email is sent to the next student.

When a waitlist is full on one section and a new section is added, are students from the waitlist automatically registered into the new section?
No.  When a new section is opened, departments should email the waitlisted students advising them of the new section.  Students are responsible for their own registration.

Who can see waitlist information?  How is it accessed?

  • Students:  myUVU, Student (tab), Registration (menu)
  • Instructors
  • Department Chairs / Deans:  Business Objects InfoView reports (ACS0030 – Wait List Students by Department).

What is a “position” number?

  • Indicates to the student when they’re “next in line” on the wait list.
  • Changes as other students register or drop the section.

What is a “priority” number?

  • Automatically assigned to a student when they select a wait list section.
  • Not re-used by Banner (per semester and section).
  • Priority “0” indicates the student has been offered the open seat and a response is pending.
  Beginning Summer 2015, the waitlist Maximum Enrollment limit must match the section Maximum Enrollment limit (as approved by the Academic Affairs Council, Dec 2014).

12  How can I restrict STUDENT REGISTRATION?

Historically, departments have controlled student registration by requesting maximum enrollment limits be set to zero on some class sections.  As of July 1, 2009 the maximum enrollment limit for all existing sections and all new section requests must reflect the actual enrollment estimate.

How will enrollment be controlled?
Banner's "department approval" feature ("DE" code) is used to control student registration, as requested.  This change will help improve the room scheduling process, and the accuracy of state reporting and faculty workload.

How are Students affected?
Where students once received a "class closed" message, they will now receive a "Department Approval Required" message.  It is still necessary for a student to obtain department approval before an Advisor can assist with registration.

13  How do I activate an INSTRUCTOR (contract or adjunct) or INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT ("IA")?
  • Following the hiring process, Human Resources will create an instructor (contract or adjunct) UVID in Banner.  They will also create a UVID for paid Instructional Assistant positions.  In all cases, HR ensures FERPA training is completed, and the appropriate documents are signed.

  • The Department Chair (or an authorized scheduler) can email the Academic Scheduling office to request instructor (or assistant) activation.  This process is necessary to:
    • make the record visible in Banner's Instructor Verification tool,
    • allow for workload assignments, and
    • give the instructor access to Banner's Faculty tab in myUVU.  

  • The following information is required for every activation request:
Instructor Name (full legal name) 
Instructor UVID 
Contract, Adjunct, or IA? 
Effective Term 
College Code 
Department Code 
Activation Percentage* 

When multiple Department Code assignments exist, one must be designated as a "Home" (or primary) assignment, and the combined assignments must total 100%. In most cases, the "Activation Percentage" will be 100%.  This simply indicates that the instructor (or IA) is only working for ONE department.  The "Activation Percentage" is different from "Workload Percentage".

  • Instructor "Workload Percentage"
      • Should reflect the amount of responsibility an Instructor has for a course section (CRN).  
      • Where multiple instructors exist, the combined assignments must total 100%.
      • Instructors can be assigned by an authorized scheduler of the academic department by using Banner's Instructor Verification tool in myUVU.

  • Instructional Assistant "Workload Percentage"
      • Instructional Assistants can only be assigned by the Academic Scheduling office when a written request is made by an authorized scheduler of the academic department.

      • If the Instructional Assistant does NOT have teaching responsibilities, but are graders for a course section:
        1. the IA is listed in Banner at "0%" responsibility and is paid as a part-time employee by the academic department  --or-- 
        2. the IA is listed in Banner at "0%" responsibility and they have signed a Volunteer form with HR  --and-- 
        3. SRI's will not be sent to students for the IA. 

      • If the Instructional Assistant DOES have teaching responsibilities for a course section:
          1. Banner should reflect the amount of responsibility the IA has for a course section (minimum of "1%");
          2. the IA is paid through workload; and
          3. SRI's will be sent to students for the IA.

  • Once an individual is listed on a course section in Banner, the information is automatically routed to Canvas.  Access to Canvas follows the classifications outlined below.
  • Although requests for activations and assignments of Adjunct Instructors and Instructional Assistants can be requested at any time, the Academic Scheduling office cannot process those requests until shortly before the semester begins.

(defined by HR)

  • Contract faculty can be activated for one semester prior to the semester they will begin teaching, where appropriate. This allows access to Canvas prior to the first day of class.

  • Adjunct instructors can only be activated for the semester in which they are hired to begin teaching. Access to Canvas is not available until the first day of class.  UVU cannot expect or encourage adjunct instructors to do any work (even familiarizing themselves with course content) until they’re actually being paid by the university.

  • Instructional Assistants can only be activated for one semester at a time. Their records will not be visible as an option in the Instructor Verification tool.

    For information on access in Canvas, please refer to


Faculty workload planning and reporting are critical to the successful management of academic human resources, accurate reporting to university stakeholders of the use of these resources, and facilitating compensation issues.  Instructor assignments should be entered on all course sections prior to 3rd week state reporting for each semester.

ICHE is the unit of measure for instructional activity as defined by Regents' policy and guidelines.  It incorporates credit, lecture, and lab hours, plus factors including, but not limited to, mode of instructional delivery, class size, and individualized instruction.

For more information, see UVU policy #641, Salaried Faculty Workload - Academic Year.


  • Grades can only be entered by the primary instructor listed on a course section.
  • Banner’s Instructor Verification tool:
    • Will open when semester data is rolled from the previous like-semester to allow for workload planning; and
    • Will close two weeks prior to a semester’s end date to allow for Student Rating of Instruction ("SRI") processing.

If an instructor assignment change request is submitted after this date for any reason, Academic Scheduling cannot process the request.  In order to record grades, faculty members shall submit a Grade Change form to the Registrar's Office.

15  What is a "College/School STAFF" faculty record?

One “STAFF” faculty record exists for each college/school for workload planning purposes. This record:

  • Can only be used with the Financial Manager’s written permission (or the written permission of the Dean) as a placeholder to correctly account for workload in unique situations;
  • Cannot be used for 100% of a session (each course section must have a “Primary” instructor assigned, which gives them access to grading, class lists, section management, etc.);
  • Indicates to the student that they may not work directly with the department only; and
  • Helps departments monitor the actual workload of their faculty.

The “(School) STAFF” record differs from the “Staff” listing online:

  • (School) STAFF” indicates the placeholder record is being used, whereas
  • "Staff" simply indicates no faculty record has been assigned to the section.

The creation and use of these records was approved by the Banner SCORE Committee (Fall 2010).

16  What defines a HYBRID section?
  When a course is taught both in person (in a classroom) AND via technology, it is considered a hybrid delivery.  The technology-delivered components include teaching and learning activities. For state requirements and the proper use of hybrid Schedule Type codes "H", "J" and "K", refer to

17  How should VIDEO home sections be coded?

The State of Utah requires all video home sections (located in broadcast rooms) to be coded as video, not face-to-face.

Schedule Type Code:  "V" (video)
TOPs Code:  "V" (video)
Section Code: Must begin with "15_"

These sections now appear on the originating academic department proofing reports.  For more information, see Course Section Numbering and Academic Scheduling Reports.

  Prior to the third week of a new semester, several cleanup procedures need to take place, including (but not limited to):
  • Instructor Verification review -- To ensure appropriate workload and compensation, all staff assignments should be completed.
  • Low enrolled course sections -- As UVU continues to grow, an increased number of course section adds and room changes are requested.  In our review of scheduled rooms vs maximum/actual enrollments, we see a large number of active sections where 0-5 students are enrolled in classrooms that can accommodate 30+. Consider canceling these sections to free up valuable space for others.

19  What is a NET ADD?
  Any new course section that is requesting a prime time slot (following room scheduling).  Be aware that Net Adds are given the lowest priority in the room scheduling process and are subject to room availability.

20  Part of Term CODES

Part of term codes are created each semester to capture start/end semester dates.  In addition, each code is set up with specific deadlines, including registration, add/drop/withdrawal dates, tuition/fee assessment, late registration, etc.  Current semester codes are posted on ASC's web page:


"INT":  Beginning Spring 2014, all internships are created using a new part of term code, “INT”, which:

  • mirrors full semester dates;
  • is subject to the same deadlines as full semester dates;
  • exempts late fees ($10 and $30) for students; and
  • gives departments the flexibility to start internships at any time during a semester.
Students can register after the wait list period ends, but are still subject to the Late Registration process (exempting fees and Dean's approval).

"Z__"Special part of term codes are created only as needed, and:

  • should be requested before registration begins for the required semester;
  • do not roll (copy) to the next like semester;
  • should not be added less than 3 weeks prior to the beginning of the course(s) to allow students to register; and
  • may be subject to shortened add/drop/withdrawal dates.
If the need arises, simply email with your request, including the semester and start/end dates.

21  How do I add or change a COURSE / LAB FEE?

Questions?  Please contact your Financial Manager first.

Lab and course fees can be requested in order to cover specific course costs.  Review UVU's Lab & Course Fees policy (#607) which includes information for:

  • Description and Use
  • Account Balances
  • Fee Disclosure

Lab and course fee accounts should be reviewed with your Financial Manager regularly for accuracy and potential adjustments (add/delete/increase/decrease).  To be considered by the Course Fee Review Committee for approval, submit your request(s) to Academic Affairs on the proper form (

Note:  Requests must be submitted by mid-January.  The Committee meets annually (in February) to review requests that will begin the following academic year.  Any requests submitted with insufficient documentation, appropriate calculations, or missing signatures will not be considered by the Committee.

22  How do I schedule SUPPLEMENTAL TIME for a course section?

All supplemental time that is directly related to an academic course section (i.e., study/review sessions, tutoring, make-up test, etc.) must be submitted via email to the Academic Scheduling office for processing.  Please note:

      • Academic Scheduling does not currently use 25Live for supplemental time requests.  If you submit a request in 25Live, it will be declined.

      • Requests are only accepted from the department chair (or an authorized scheduler for that department).

      • Requests should be made at least 5 business days in advance of the event date.

      • To avoid unnecessary delays, each request shall include the following information:

        • semester
        • subject
        • course
        • section
        • date and time
        • expected attendance
        • preferred building
        • justification / purpose

      • Space is not confirmed until you receive an email confirmation from the Academic Scheduling office.

      • Requests are not be processed for Reading Day. However, instructors can use their regularly scheduled room on Reading Day, but only for the regularly scheduled time. Students are not required to attend.

      • Requests cannot be accommodated during finals week.

      • Special events are scheduled throughout the year, regardless of UVU's breaks and holidays.  These events often require academic space, and are not always visible to staff in 25Live.  Always request the space needed through the appropriate scheduling office.  An official confirmation goes a long way in avoiding confusion and possible eviction.

      • ALL special events, department meetings, club events, etc., must be submitted in 25Live. See for more information.