Frequently Asked Questions - Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Q: Does a student register for classes themselves or do they register with the AADHH?

A: For priority registration, students have to meet with the AADHH who will submit their name to the Registrar's office. The AADHH will assist the student in choosing classes, at which time the student must fill out the Class Registration Form (CRF). When registration opens, the student must schedule their classes themselves. After priority registration, we cannot guarantee that students will get the class(s) they want or the preferred service provider. All students who plan to utilize any type of ASD services are required to meet with the AADHH.

Note: You cannot register for classes if you have any holds on your record.


Q: What if a student's audiogram is old?

A: We prefer documentation that is less than three to five years old; however, for an audiogram, there is flexibility. (See "Guidelines for Documentation")


Q: Who does a student talk to about general education classes and major classes?

A: For general education classes, students meet with AADHH. For major classes, students should meet with their major academic advisor. It is important that students meet with their major academic advisor every semester. The AADHH can help guide students to their major advisor.


Q: If one of a student's finals is canceled, do they have to inform Deaf Services?

A: Yes. Final exams are considered the same as classes.


Q: When is the deadline for requesting services for classes?

A: A student can request services at any time, but we recommend two weeks before school starts to have the best outcome.


Q: What if a student requests services after the two week deadline?

A: The student must work with AADHH to register for any classes or make adjustment to their schedule. If they do not request services two weeks prior to the start of classes, then we cannot guarantee that services will be available for the first two weeks of classes. We will always try to meet any request we receive, but we can't guarantee the services if we don't have the two week notice at the beginning of the term.


Q: What does a student do if they cannot contact AADHH?

A: Contact the Assistant Director of Deaf Services or contact the front desk.


Q: For No Shows or Cancellations, which communication method should a student use the most?>

A: Either way, but it is also the student's responsibility to fill out the yellow "No Show/Cancellation" form AS MUCH AND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. The form is located in the ASD main office near the Assistant Director of Deaf Services' office.


Q: What information is needed when submitting No Show/Cancellation notification through e-mail and/or text?

A: Students must include date(s), class(es), time(s), and name(s) of providers when submitting the notification orthey are at risk for receiving a no-show for their class.


Q: When do students pick up their accommodation letter?

A: Students should pick up their accommodation letter(s) before the semester starts so that they can give the letters to their professors on or before the first day of classes. If no letter is provided to the instructor, then the instructor is not under any obligation to accommodate any services or service providers in the classroom.


Q: If a student plans to be late to their 9 am class, what time should students contact the ASD office?

A: Students should contact ASD as soon as possible and before 9am, so the ASD can notify the service providers.


Q: What if a student goes to class and I see a paper on the door that says "Class Canceled"; what should the student do?

A: Students should stop by the ASD office to fill out "No Show/Class Cancellation" form and/or contact the AADHH.


Q: If a student is contacted by the AADHH, and told that one of their teachers is trying to help them, has a complaint about them, etc., what should the student do?

A: Upon receiving this information the student should explain to the teacher that they prefer to be contacted directly and not through the academic advisor (AADHH). They can also request to meet with the instructor.


Q: If a teacher doesn't know how to turn on the Closed Captioning (C.C.), what should I do?

A: Students should offer help them to turn on C.C.


Q: When a student meets with an instructor for the first time, what should they do?

A: Students should introduce themselves to the professor and then introduce their service providers. Let the teacher know that if they have any questions to ask you.


Q: If a student is receiving TypeWell services, when will they get the TypeWell notes?

A: Within 24 hours after the class ends.


Q: What does a student do if they have a hold on their academic record?

A: It is important to find out where the hold originated and contact that office. Often the student can check the academic standards website:


Q: What if a student has a "no-show" fee?

A: Please see the Academic Advisor for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.


Q: What if a student is not going to their class that meets between 7:00 am and 9:00 am, how late can the student contact the AADHH?

A: Contact the AADHH at least one (1) hour before your class starts, or 6 am.


Q: What if a student is not going to class and the class starts after 9:00 am?

A: Contact the AADHH at least two (2) hours before the class starts. (See no-show procedure form for more information)


Q: When a student gets a text or email that says "Message Received, Excused" from the AADHH, what does it mean?

A: Every time the AADHH gets a "No Show/Cancellation" message, the AADHH must respond back either "Message Received" excused or not excused. "Excused" means the student followed "No Show" procedure. "Not excused" means the student did not follow "No Show" procedure and now has received a no-show for that class.

Contact ASD

contact us

Losee Center: LC312
Phone: 801.863.8747

Fax: 801.863.8377
TTY or VIP: 801.221.0908

Utah Valley University
Accessibility Services
800 West, University Parkway, MS 190
Orem, UT 84058-5999

Hours: M-F 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

ASD Office

Assistive Technology Lab - LI-111b
You can schedule appointments or reserve resources by contacting:

Jenna Atkinson, Assistive Technology Lab Coordinator
Phone: (801) 863-8868

Grievance Procedure