Please make an appointment with the Office of Accessibility Services to meet with a counselor to determine accommodations. Documentation is not required to meet with a counselor. Please bring any documentation that you may have, with you to your appointment.  

Service Animal Guidelines

 The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. According to the Department of Justice, a service animal is defined as “any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition.” If the animals meet this definition, then they are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government. Service animals perform some of the functions and tasks that the individual with a disability cannot perform for oneself. For example, a guide dog is used by some individuals who are blind. The work or task must be directly related to the individual’s disability. A service animal is not a pet.

If you are a UVU student and have questions or concerns related to service animals at Utah Valley University, contact the Office of Accessibility Services at

Note: (Emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals are not considered service animals)

If you are a UVU student seeking information on emotional support animals in housing,  please click on Animals in Housing information to go to their web page.

For additional information regarding animals on campus, click on Policy 160 to go to their web page.


Office of Accessibility Services

Phone: 801.863.8747
Fax: 801.863.8377
TTY or VP: 801.221.0908

Utah Valley University
Accessibility Services
800 West, University Parkway, MS 190
Orem, UT 84058-5999

Losee Center 312