UVU Aviation twinstar airplane

Prospective Student

Flight Training

Students who want to learn how to fly can do so locally at the UVU flight training facility. They will receive pilot training and have the opportunity to earn their pilot license while using our state-of-the-art facilities and receive personal instruction from faculty and staff. Local students also have the option to take online courses if they wish, but all FAA ground & flight courses must be taken on-site. Students in the Professional Pilot program will train with UVU’s FAA Certified Flight Instructors, many of whom are our best alumni.

UVU stands out as the top choice for students seeking an excellent safety record, rigorous flight training, and great career placement. UVU operates the safest and most advanced training aircraft fleet in the world. The fleet includes the Diamond DA20 Katana, DA40 Diamond Star, and the DA42 Twin Star (a performance twin-engine aircraft.) The all-Diamond fleet offers advantages in safety and lower maintenance costs which are reflected in our competitive aircraft rental rates. Our fleet of 23 aircraft allows training in “glass cockpit” (computerized instruments) and is maintained in our own FAA part 145 repair station which no other school offers.

Students seeking managerial aviation careers, or who wish to pursue helicopter or non-fixed-wing training, are best suited for our Aviation Administration degree. Completion of the curriculum will produce a well-rounded graduate with a combination of industry knowledge and general business management skills. Graduates will find employment in a variety of areas within aviation, and the degree can be a useful bridge into graduate degree programs

Airline Cadet Programs

Utah Valley University is pleased to offer several airline cadet and pathway programs to our flight students. These programs provide qualifying students with a clear pathway to an airline career at any of our partnering companies. As each program varies in requirements and benefits, students are encouraged to review options, speak with airline recruiters when they visit, and select a program that will best meet their needs and goals. For more information on a particular cadet program, select the logo below.

 envoy logo 

     psa logo       

 republic logo       

    skywest logo



A ruling by Congress which went into effect in 2013 requires all airline pilots to have an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate. The R-ATP (Restricted Airline Transport Pilot) allows an airline to hire a pilot with fewer hours of flight time. Students flying at the UVU training facility can benefit from this provision. You may view the official ruling FAR 61.159 and 61.160 on the FAA website.

What is the benefit of earning the R-ATP?
  • Not all flight programs can qualify you for the R-ATP. If you graduate from UVU's FAA-approved degree program and meet certain requirements, you will be eligible to receive your R-ATP at 1,000 or 1,250 hours rather than the usual 1,500 hours for an ATP certificate. This will make you eligible for hiring by Part 121 carriers (scheduled airlines) between 250 and 500 hours sooner than students at other non-qualifying programs.
What steps do I need to take to earn the R-ATP?
  • Graduate with a B.S. degree in Professional Pilot at UVU
  • Complete Instrument flight and ground training under Part 141 at UVU
  • Complete Commercial flight and ground training under Part 141 at UVU
  • After Aug 1, 2014, complete the ATP-CTP course
  • Complete the ATP Knowledge Exam at an authorized testing center
  • Complete coursework from the FAA-approved course list
  • If you have completed the prescribed 60 credit hours in your degree, build your flight time to 1,000 hours with 200 cross-country hours.
  • If you have completed between 30 and 60 of the prescribed credit hours, build your flight time to 1,250 hours with 200 cross-country hours.
  • Complete the FAA ATP Practical Exam
Will I need an R-ATP before I can get hired by an airline?
  • It is possible to get hired prior to having the actual R-ATP certificate, however in the United States, most airlines will require you to have at least the minimum flight time required for the R-ATP. Prior to flying however, you will need the actual certificate.
Is UVU approved to qualify students for an R-ATP?
  • Yes, UVU received the official Letter of Authorization from the FAA in June 2014.
How much flight time is required for an R-ATP?
  • If you graduate with the Bachelor of Science degree from UVU's Aviation Science Program with at least 60 credit hours from our FAA approved course list, you will need a minimum of 1000 hours total time to meet the requirements of FAR 61.160. In addition, you would need 200 hours of cross-country time, 100 hours of night time, and 50 hours of flight time in the class of aircraft in which you are seeking your R-ATP (in most cases, multi-engine time). If you graduate with the Associate of Applied Science degree with 30-60 credit hours from our FAA approved course list, you will need a minimum of 1,250 hours total time with the same additional requirements listed above. Please reference FAR 61.160(b), (f), and 61.159(a).
What if I "tested out" of a course and received credit, even though I never actually attended the UVU course?
  • If the course appears on your official transcript as "Institution Credit" (not "Transfer Credit") then it is eligible to count towards the required 30 or 60 credit hours, provided it is a course on the approved list.
  • Challenge or experiential credits do not qualify toward the 30 or 60 credit hour requirement.
  • For information on what transfer credits qualify, see "What if I transferred to UVU from another university?" below.
What if I don't have 60 credit hours from the approved list?
  • If you graduate from an approved major and you complete 60 credits from the approved course list, then you are eligible for the R-ATP at 1,000 hours. If you have completed between 30-59 credits, then you will need at least 1,250 hours total flight time as a pilot.
What if I transferred to UVU from another university?
  • Assuming that the courses are transferable to your UVU degree program, credits transferred to UVU may qualify toward the 30 or 60 credit requirement only if 1) the courses were completed at another institution of higher learning that has received authorization from FAA to certify its graduates for R-ATP and UVU obtains a copy of that institution's Letter of Authorization, 2) the course is on that institution's approved course list, and 3) the student includes official transcripts from that institution on their application for UVU R-ATP Graduate Certification.
  • In order for Instrument and Commercial flight training to be transferred, it must have been completed at an approved university under an approved FAA Part 141 training program. To apply that training to a UVU graduate certification, UVU must have an official copy of your 141 instrument and 141 commercial graduation certificates.
What is the difference between the R-ATP and an ATP with full privileges?
  • The R-ATP authorizes you to act as second-in-command only. It does not authorize you to act as PIC (Pilot in Command) at a U.S. Part 121 air carrier (scheduled airline), but the knowledge and skill requirements are the same for both. An ATP with full privileges can be obtained once you have met the specified age and flight time requirements.
See us on Facebook

Request Info


Info Delivery Type

If you are a Flight School, please visit our marketing information page for more information.

How did you first hear about us?