Instructor FAQs

FAQ icon


 1. How does CCE determine new programs or courses to offer?

 2. How does CCE find instructors?

  • This is done:
    1. Through the submission of Non Credit Course Proposal forms
    2. Application for Adjunct Instructor-Community Education at
    3. Experts in the specific field or course which is in demand.
  • Instructors may also be UVU professors or employees, high school teachers, community leaders, or those qualified and interested who apply.

 3. Who is qualified to teach CCE classes?

CCE instructors must be experts or proficient in their field, have formal or informal teaching experience, be confident instructing in front of a class, be organized, and have the enthusiasm required to engage students in the subject.

 4. How is instructor pay determined?

CCE strives to pay instructors as equitably and as near to the market rate as possible according to applicable education, experience, and demand for the topic being taught.

 5. How does CCE set course prices?

A course is calculating using a spreadsheet that includes instructor pay rate, instructor payroll taxes, cost of included student materials or handouts, brochure and other marketing costs, competitor pricing, and the cost of staying in business.

For example, the more days the class is scheduled to run, the higher the cost will be due to instructor pay and payroll taxes. In order to remain a viable entity for the community in the future, course costs, staff wages, business and marketing expenses must be covered by the course prices.

 6. How does CCE market classes?

  • Print: 130,000 DISCOVER catalogs are printed 3 X annually. This high-quality, color handbook-sized catalog is distributed in Utah, Wasatch and Summit counties.
  • Web: offers class information, instructor bios, CCE contact information, and convenient online registration.
  • Social Media: Facebook and Twitter are vehicles used to inform people of upcoming classes and to highlight courses, workshops, and conferences.
  • LinkedIn & Pinterest: Classes are shared on LinkedIn by CCE staff involved with businesses, organizations or agencies. Pinterest updates on new classes, which are relevant to the Pinterest demographics, are shared from staff members’ personal accounts.
  • Email: Email marketing is used to announce and inform an opted-in list of thousands that the new course catalog is available and registration can begin online.

 7. How can I, as an instructor, highlight my class through the above mentioned mediums?

If you would like to have your class highlighted, please submit a full color headshot of yourself and a short statement about why you love to teach UVU Community Education classes, or an insight, teaching philosophy or other appropriate message that can be used.

 8. If my course proposal is accepted, what paperwork must be completed before I can teach?

Several weeks before you can teach you must complete the UVU online employee application and all required paperwork with the UVU human resource office, which includes a background check as part of this process. You are required to sign a conflict of interest form every year and a contract for each class you teach each term.

 9. When do instructors get paid?

The UVU payroll schedule is a semi-monthly lag cycle, with paydays on the 1st and 16th of each month. (i.e. hours worked between the 1st and 15th of the month will be paid on the 1st of the following month).

10. Who do I contact if I have problems with my payment?

Contact the Operations Specialist by phone at 801-863-8450 or email.

11. How can I access my W-2 form?

UVU issues Electronic Form W-2s. Form W-2s are available mid to late January of the following year. You can access your Form through myUVU or by using the direct link located on the Payroll Office web page (, under the Taxes tab. You will need your UV ID and password to access your W-2 form. If you don’t have a password, or have forgotten it contact the UVU IT Help Desk 801.863.8888.

12. What benefits do I receive as an instructor, other than pay?

Along with the great networking opportunities teaching with CCE provides, all CCE Instructors and their immediate family members receive discounts off community education classes.

13. How do I access my class rolls?

Go to Log-in using your Instructor ID and password. (Contact your coordinator if you don’t have it). Once you have logged in, a new screen will open with a list of the current classes being offered. There is a button stating: LIST. Click on it. The next screen will open up. Scroll to the bottom to find the “Attendance Sheet” button. Click on it. 6. The next screen will open up. Click Print Roster.

14. Who do I contact if my classroom is locked?

  • If you teach at UVU and the room is locked when you arrive to teach call 801.863.5555 (Campus Police).
  • If you are at another location contact your coordinator immediately.

15. What do I do if I have an emergency and am unable to teach a class?

If you are unable to teach a class, contact the students and your coordinator immediately to let them know. The missed class will be rescheduled as facilities and time allow.