Faculty Funding Resources

UVU Funding Sources

College of Science Scholarly Activities Committee (SAC) 

The Scholarly Activities Committee provides funding opportunities for College of Science faculty, staff and students.   See the SAC Guidelines for the specifics of the awards in Research and Dissemination.  After reading the Guidelines, link to the appropriate proposal form to begin the application process. :


UVU Office of Engaged Learning (OEL)


  • OEL Grants for Engaged Learning (GEL) Grants (including “Quick” grants, “Community Partnership Matching” grants, and “One-Time 10k” grants) The Grants for Engaged Learning (GEL) program supports a wide range of engaged learning projects including, but not limited to, classroom and non-classroom-based projects, service learning, undergraduate research, learning communities, and inquiry-based learning. For more, or to apply for a GEL grant, go to OEL GEL Grants (https://www.uvu.edu/undergrad-research/faculty-research/apply-for-funding/gel/index.html )


  • OEL Seed Grants
    OEL Seed grants are funded for one to two years with a maximum award of $10,000. (Applicants may reapply for a second year).  The deadline for applications is typically in spring of each year.  For more information, or to apply for an OEL Seed Grant.



Office of Teaching and Learning Faculty Travel Grant

Full-time faculty travel funds in departments may be supplemented with a Faculty Travel grant. The purpose of this fund is to assist faculty with professional travel, particularly related to enhancing instructional effectiveness and Scholarship of Teaching and Engagement. Depending on available funds, adjunct faculty may also apply for travel support.  For more information, or to apply for an OTL Faculty Travel Grant

External Funding Sources 

National Science Foundation programs

NSF Research in Undergraduate Institutions (RUI) 
Supports individual and collaborative research projects involving PUI faculty and students at their own or other institutions. For more information, or to apply for an RUI grant.
NSF Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER)
For pre-tenured faculty. Work is expected to integrate research and education. The work must include assessment of the value of the education.  For more information, or to apply for an CAREER grant.

NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates  (REU)
Program should have a well-defined common focus that enables a cohort experience for students. The student cohort will work together for a specified period of time (during the summer months, during the academic year, or both). For more information, or to apply for an REU grant.


NSF Major Research Instrumentation  (MRI)
MRI supports acquisition of major state-of-the-art instrumentation. The program fosters development of the next generation of instrumentation.  MRI enables academic departments, cross-disciplinary units, and multi-organization collaborations to create well-equipped research environments that integrate research with education. For more information, or to apply for an MRI grant.



National Institutes of Health (NIH) programs

NIH Research Project Grant Program
Provides support for health-related research and development.  Projects must be related to the stated program interests of one or more of the NIH Institutes and Centers (http://www.nih.gov/icd/ ).   For more information, or to apply for an NIH Research Project Grant.


NIH Small Grant Program
Will support small research projects that can be carried out in a short period of time with limited resources (≤2 years, ≤ $50,000/yr). For more information, or to apply for an NIH Small Grant.


NIH Academic Research Enhancement Award
Supports research in educational institutions that provide baccalaureate or advanced degrees for a significant number of the Nation's research scientists, but that have not been major recipients of NIH support. For more information, or to apply for an NIH Academic Research Enhancement Award.


NIH Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Award
Encourages exploratory/developmental research by providing support for the early and conceptual stages of project development.  For more information, or to apply for an NIH Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Award.


Other External Funding Sources

Supports research, intensive dialog and community building to address scientific challenges of global significance. Funding priorities are molecular biology and solar energy conversion. For more information, or to apply for a Scialog grant


Cottrell Scholars Award
The Cottrell Scholar (CS) program champions the very best early career teacher-scholars in chemistry, physics and astronomy by providing significant discretionary awards for research.  For more information, or to apply for a Cottrell Scholars Award


American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund ACS PRF programs
The American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund (ACS PRF) funds research in many areas of chemistry and geology (see link to “Research Topics” at http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/funding-and-awards/grants/prf.html ). 

Following are a few of the ACS PRF programs that are well-suited to UVU.


ACS PRF Undergraduate Research (UR) Grants
Provides funding for scientists with established programs of research at non-doctoral departments. Provides financial support for students at those institutions to become involved in advanced research activities, in preparation for continued study in graduate school or employment.  For more information, or to apply for an ACS PRF Undergraduate Research grant.


ACS PRF Undergraduate New Investigator (UNI) Grants
Provides funds for scientists and engineers who are beginning their independent careers in academia and have limited or no preliminary results for a research project they wish to pursue. Provides financial incentives for students at those institutions to become involved in research activities leading to employment or continued study in graduate school.  For more information, or to apply for an ACS PRFUndergraduate New Investigator.