EDT Advising

Change Your Major To Engineering Design Technology (EDT)

  1. Schedule a ONE-HOUR appointment with your Advisor.
  2. Do your research BEFORE the appointment and come prepared to let the advisor know which degree and/or certificate program in Engineering Design Technology (EDT) you plan on pursuing (i.e. the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree, the Associate in Science (AS) degree, or one of the Certificates of Proficiency (CP): Architectural Design Technology, Mechanical Design Technology, Structural Design Technology, or Civil Design Technology). If interested in Geomatics (including surveying and GIS), go to http://www.uvu.edu/geomatics. The advisor for Geomatics is now Julie Harps (jharps@uvu.edu).
  3. Arrive on time and be prepared to answer these questions:
    • How many credit hours do you plan on taking during the upcoming semester? To determine the number of hours per week that a course will take (including the hours in class as well as the hours on homework), multiply the number of credit hours by 3.
    • Will you be working while attending school? If so, part-time or full-time, and how many hours per week?
    • Do you plan on attending during summer semesters?


Help In Deciding Which Degree or Certificate

For students looking to go into engineering design or drafting as a career, the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree is highly recommended because it will provide both the beginning and advanced EDT coursework, training, and experience that local employers are looking for in entry-level drafters. The Associate in Science (AS) degree, on the other hand, is the recommended degree (although a student can get both degrees if so desired) for students looking at transferring to another college or university to finish a bachelor degree, like the University of Utah's school of architecture. This is because having the AS degree listed on the transcript upon transferring helps dramatically improve the chances that the transfer school will accept the general education coursework as fulfilling more of that school's own general education requirements. If you plan to attend an institution outside of Utah, please be prepared to give your advisor a web link to that school's program. It would be preferable if you could email this link to the advisor before the appointment.

If you plan on becoming an architect in the state of Utah, the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) requires accredited graduation from "an NAAB accredited program" before you can become a licensed architect. The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) currently shows the University of Utah's Master of Architecture as the ONLY program in Utah that will fulfill this requirement. There are multiple pathways that start at UVU which can lead to the Master of Architecture at the University of Utah.



Research Different Careers in Drafting and Architecture

To assist you in deciding which career in drafting and/or architecture you would like to pursue, I would recommend the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook. On this site you can look up careers by their titles, "Drafters" for example. Then it will provide a report with the following tabs of information: Summary, What They Do, Work Environment, How to Become One, Pay, Job Outlook, Similar Occupations, and More Information. If you would like a more regional report (within the state of Utah) on the career's job outlook and wage information, go to the Utah Department of Workforce Services' website: http://jobs.utah.gov. Once it pulls up, hover over the Labor Market option in the top menu, and it will display a sub-menu. From that sub-menu select Utah Economic Data. This brings up the Utah Economic Data Viewer (UEDV). On that screen, select Occupational Explorer. On that screen I like to scroll down to Option 3 - Select Occupations By Groups. Under this section you can click on the plus symbol and it will expand that group. Select to expand the Architecture, drafters, surveyors, and mapping occupations job group and then select the specific type of career on which you'd like to get information (i.e. Mechanical Drafters). Then you will need to make sure the Full Report option is selected and click on the Continue button. This report will give a job outlook and national, statewide, and regional wage data for that specific career.