General Information





Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

*Be sure to note the deadline dates on the application and turn in the required materials by those dates.

If you want to transfer to UVU from another school in the US, you must fill out the International Student Transfer Certification part of the application.

International Students:

Go to our home page, and click on apply now. From there you will click “Complete Admission Application.” Then create a temporary account. Select the semester you want to attend and fill out the eight sections of the application.

You will need to fill out the necessary documents, which you will find here. Then email the required documents to


You will need to make a temporary account, from there you will need to create your profile then complete the application.

What are the application deadlines?

Admission Deadlines:

Apply at least three months before the semester you would like to attend. Applications completed after the deadline may not allow enough time to obtain a visa depending on the visa wait time in your country. In this case, your I-20 would have to be express mailed at your own expense.

How should I pay for my application fee?

International Students:

You will receive an email after you finish the application. It will instruct you to call the Bursar’s office, then you will pay over the phone. The application fee is $100 dollars and is non-refundable. This is to be submitted in U.S. currency by check, money order or U.S. dollars


If you are a resident you can pay the application fee online when you apply. The application fee is $35 and is non-refundable.

What happens if I apply after the deadlines?

There will be a late fee that needs to be paid, contact us for more details.

801.863.5600 |

What is needed for the bank statement for the affidavit of support?

The AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT FOR AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT AT UTAH VALLEY UNIVERSITY is to be completed by the person who will be providing money for tuition, fees and living expenses, with an original bank statement or Tax return attached. Please note: If you are sponsoring yourself you will need to provide a letter from your bank showing the needed amount on deposit under your name. ALL FINANCIAL SUPPORT PAPERS MUST BE IN ENGLISH, SHOWING AMOUNTS IN U.S. DOLLARS.

When will my I-20 be issued and how long does it take to receive my I-20 in the mail?

Mailing time varies for each country, please allow several weeks for your documents to be processed, returned to you in time for you to obtain your visa, and for you to be able to make travel arrangements. You should arrive here two weeks or more before the first day of class for testing, advisement, and registration. Do not arrive more than 30 days prior to class starting. For an additional fee, you can also ask to have your I-20 mailed to you by an express mail service.

If you have any questions about the application process, please feel free to contact the International Admissions Advisors.

When is the tuition payment due?

Tuition Payment Deadlines (Student Timetables):

  • Fall semester: First Monday of the second Week of August.
  • Spring semester: First Monday of the second Week of December.
  • Summer semester: Check student time table

More information on tuition deadlines can be found on the student timetable located at

Note: Students must have tuition paid or financial aid awarded to prevent their class schedule from being dropped for nonpayment. To access UVU’s online payment services, log on to myUVU and locate “Paying for My Education” under the “Students” tab.

For Residents/Citizens of USA:

Apply and Financial Aid information:

You do not have to pay the tuition fee before arriving.

How do I pay for my tuition?


To pay tuition you go to myUVU.

Select the Students tab, then click on paying for my education. Click on tuition payment plus, then click make a payment.

Bursar’s Office

You can pay your tuition and fees at the Bursar’s office.

Their hours are:

Monday, Thursday, & Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday & Wednesday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
In BA 109

We accept credit cards, traveler's checks, cash (in person only), and personal checks. More information at

Late Tuition Payment Fee:

Late Fees are assessed on ALL UNPAID ACCOUNT BALANCES including 2nd Block classes at 20%, not to exceed $200.

What about refunds and drops?

Tuition Policies and Procedures.


The tuition refund policy is established by the Board of Regents and amended by each university to fit their programs. Utah Valley University refunds for students who withdraw from school or drop classes are calculated as follows:


Through first week of instruction - 100 percent refund
Through second week of instruction - 100 percent refund
After second week of instruction - 0 percent refund

A Petition to the Refund Policy Form is available on the Web or can be obtained from the office of the Registrar.

What are my housing options?

Whether you’re looking for game rooms and a swimming pool or more quiet and simple living arrangements, you’ll find yourself surrounded by both at UVU. Although there is no on-campus housing, many apartment complexes offer free shuttle service to get you to and from school, while others are located within walking distance. If you choose to live farther away, simply ride Utah Transit Authority (UTA) buses with your valid student ID.

Visit the UVU housing Web site at, or call the Campus Housing office at (801) 863-8659.

If you are living where they don’t have shuttles you can purchase a UTA pass, Info here /campusconnection/general/utainfo.html

Do I need health insurance?

Though the ESL Program does not require students to have medical coverage while attending school, we strongly encourage you to have health insurance while studying in the United States.

For more information about the Utah Valley University, Student Health Services visit

If you do not already have health insurance from your country, you may purchase health insurance through private insurance companies of your choice. For more detailed information, visit the following websites:


How many students will be in each class?

Classes generally range from 12-20 students per class, with a mixture of people from many parts of the world. You might have students from your country in your class, and this isn't a problem at all as long as students work hard to use only English and meet other people in the community.

How many classes do I have to take?

During each session, F-1 students must be in classes for 20 hours per week (or five classes). If the student is placed in a lower level it will take them longer to complete the ESL courses, so they will have to take more classes.

Can I apply for a job on campus?

Yes. While you are enrolled in the ESL program, you can work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during the school year. In order to work on-campus, you must apply for work authorization through the International Student Services. It is not sustainable for tuition or living.

*If you have any questions about this application process, please feel free to contact the International Student Services Advisors.

How long can I stay in your program?

Our program length depends on the level in which you are placed. Each level last one semester which is about 4 months. Your I-20 may be renewed/extended for up to one year.

Can I transfer to another U.S. school?

Yes. You may transfer to another school in the U.S. after successfully completing one session at the ESL Program, unless you are on academic or attendance probation.

What should I do to prepare for my trip to come to the U.S?

Arrange your travel plans so you arrive two weeks before the New Student Orientation meeting. This will give you an early start to get used to local time, weather, food, etc. You cannot arrive to the U.S. more than 30 days before the program’s starting date.

Check out the Official U.S. Customs website to see what you can or cannot bring with you when entering the United States.

To learn more about Utah, please visit the official website of the State of Utah. or see our About Utah page.

For more information about Utah Valley University,

visit and