The Office for Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EO/AA) is a neutral and impartial resource. It is in the best interest of the individual and the University to resolve concerns before they escalate. Discrimination complaints should be brought as quickly as possible; however, university practice allows discrimination complaints to be filed after a discriminatory act has occurred. 

Complainants may opt for informal resolution or an investigation. The EO/AA Office frequently helps to resolve problems without filing a formal complaint form, through informal resolution. For example, a student can be assigned to a different section of a course, or a voluntary shift change can separate employees who are having a conflict with each other. If you would like to try an informal resolution first, you retain the right to file a formal complaint at a later time.



You may obtain confidential information about your rights without disclosing your name. However, if you want action taken, you may be required to sign a complaint form that the other party (respondent) will see. Due process guarantees that a person cannot be disciplined without the opportunity to respond to the allegations. This includes knowing who is bringing the allegations.

In certain circumstances, Title IX provides the opportunity to remain anonymous regarding sex discrimination, harassment, and misconduct. Individuals requesting anonymity will be given full consideration. However, there are rare circumstances such as when a minor is involved or there is an imminent danger to the student or to others, when requests for anonymity cannot be honored. Be aware that anonymity, if approved, will limit the University’s ability to effectively respond without full information.

Informal Options

  • Obtain Information Regarding Options

The EO/AA can give you the best explanation of your rights and responsibilities under Policies 162 and 165. Support can include mediation, having someone physically accompany the complainant during the process of filing the discrimination complaint, counseling services, modifications to schedules, etc. You may obtain information about options, which may assist you in determining how you would like to resolve an issue, without disclosing specific facts or details regarding your concern. 

  • Do Nothing

You can choose to do nothing. Please consider the risks, such as whether the situation will continue to escalate or whether others are at risk. 

  • Speak With the Person(s) and Request the Conduct to Stop

If you decide to speak directly with the person, consider the following suggestions:

  1. Keep a complete record or diary of all interactions with the person.
  2. Record each action you took, when and where it occurred, and any witness who were present.
  3. Record the response of the other person.  (Did she or he apologize? Did he or she agree not to engage in the objectionable behavior in the future?) 
  4. If you opt to write the person a letter, save a copy and record the date you sent it, or send it Certified Mail. 
  • Conflict Resolution/Mediation

Students and employees are encouraged to responsibly and respectfully resolve their complaints and concerns. However, if you would like assistance resolving a concern, our office partners with Student Conduct and Human Resources to provide coaching and/or mediation to help parties reach win-win resolutions. Looking at a problem from all angles may help reach the best outcome. The goal is to put conflicts to rest before they escalate. All conflict coaching and mediation is confidential. 

File a Complaint with UVU's EO/AA Office

Utah Valley University's policy and civil rights laws prohibit retaliation. Witnesses or others who participate in a complaint are also protected. You cannot be punished for raising a civil rights  issue; however, this protection does not include knowingly providing false statements.

All participants (including the complainant and respondent, witnesses, advisors, and members of hearing panels) in any part of the outlined process that follows are expected to respect the confidentiality of the proceedings and circumstances giving rise to the report.  

Note: Anonymous complaints are accepted via Ethics Point. However, anonymity may significantly limit the extent to which the Office for Equal Opportunity and  Affirmative Action can respond. The university will attempt to maintain confidentiality except where, in the university’s judgment, maintaining confidentiality would jeopardize the safety of members of the university community (including the complainant) or where the university is required by law to disclose the information (such as incidents involving minors or in response to a legal process). Details of basic investigation process

File a Police Report

 If criminal activity, including sexual misconduct, is suspected, complainant may choose to file a report with law enforcement. University Police may be reached at (801) 863-5555. If the crime occurred off campus, call the local police authority. 

Anonymous reporting/filing a report without your name attached is an option with UVU Police. Regardless of whether a complainant pursues a criminal complaint, the university will investigate the incident in question and take appropriate responsive action to ensure the work and educational environment is free from harassment and to prevent the recurrence of a hostile environment, and, as appropriate, to remedy the effects of the harassment against the complainant.

In an emergency call 911 or (801) 863-5555 if on UVU campus


File a Complaint with an Outside Agency

 Most civil rights are protected by state and federal laws with agencies to investigate those rights such as the Office of Civil Rights in Denver, Colorado, the EEOC in Phoenix,  Arizona, and the Utah Industrial Commission's Anti-Discrimination Division in Salt Lake City. The statutes of limitations vary  (most are 180 or 300 days). Typically, civil rights laws require administrative exhaustion before lawsuits may be filed in court. The Office for Affirmative Action Office can provide more information.

Employment Discrimination

State of Utah Phone: (801) 530-6801
Industrial Commission
Anti-Discrimination Division
160 East 300 South
P.O. Box 146630
Salt Lake City, UT  84114-6630 

Office for Civil Rights

U.S Department of Health and Human Services
1961 Stout Street - Room 1426 FOB
Denver, CO  80294-3538
Voice Phone (303) 844-2024
FAX (303) 844-2025
TDD (303) 844-3439 

Program and/or Activities Discrimination Regional Office of Civil Rights, Denver Serving: Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, & Wyoming.