Financial Aid Home

Financial Aid | Frequently Asked Questions

Parental FAFSA Information

Do I need to provide my parents' income information on the FAFSA if I was homeless, in foster care, assigned a legal guardian, emancipated,   or adopted?

Generally if you are under the age of 24 and not married, you will need to provide your parents information regardless of currently living with them or not. However, each case is unique and you may not need to provide their information. Such cases may include:

  • If you answered "Yes" to the homeless question on the FAFSA.
  • Homeless after the age of 13 (living in a car, doubled up with friends, unofficial "foster" placement).
  • Placed in foster care, obtained a legal guardian, and/or both parents passed away since you were 13 or older.
  • Have legal evidence that you can provide to verify you were an emancipated minor and still in effect at the time you became and adult.

Do I need to provide a home address on the FAFSA?

Use a mailing address where you can reliably receive mail. This can be a relative or a friend who has given permission to use the address.

Documents to Prove you were a Homeless Youth

What documents can I use to prove I was a homeless youth?

A statement stating you were at risk or became homeless from:

  • A school district homeless liaison
  • A director (or designee) of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
  • A director (or designee) of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program

What if I cannot provide a homeless youth determination?

Still submit the FAFSA. Once the form is submitted, you can request a homeless youth determination from UVU's Financial Aid and Scholarships Office. This is not required, but it helps to determine your need. Some documentation that you may want to submit:

  • Local school district personnel
  • State homeless education coordinators
  • The National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE)
  • Third parties such as a private or publicly funded homeless shelters and service providers
  • Financial aid administrators from colleges other than your current school
  • Staff from college access programs such as TRIO, GEAR UP, or Job Corps
  • College or high school counselors
  • Mental health professionals, social workers, mentors, doctors, or clergy
  • Guardian ad items, lawyers, attorneys, victim's advocates, social workers, detectives, or other court advocates that have knowledge of your particular situation (i.e. becoming homeless after receiving services)

What documents can I use to verify my former foster status?

A copy of a court order, statement from a state or county child welfare agency, statement from a private provider agency that delivers child welfare services, or a statement from; an attorney, guardian ad litem, or court-appointed special advocate documenting the person's relationship to the student as well as the latter's foster youth status.

Living Situations

I currently live with a relative, do I need to provide their information on the FASFA?

If you are currently living with grandparents or other relatives, their data should not be reported on the FAFSA unless they have legally adopted you.

I'm currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training. Do I need to submit my parent's information?

No. If you are currently serving the U.S. Armed forces or are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee who is on active duty for other than state or training purposes, you do not need to submit parent information.


What makes me a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

A veteran is anyone who has or currently is serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, or is/was a National Guard or Reserve enlistee who was called to active duty for other than state or training purposes, or is/was a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies. Also,if released from active duty, cannot have had a dishonorable discharge.

What if I still have questions or still think that I do not need to submit my parents' information?

Please contact the UVU Financial Aid Office to speak with a Financial Aid counselor. We are more than happy to answer your questions and to help guide you through the process.

Headshot of Wilson the Wolverine

Questions? Ask Wilson