Financial Aid Appeals

Students may be experiencing unusual situations that do not necessarily coincide with the basic general financial aid application process. Such situations can be appealed with the appropriate appeal form for the unusual situation. The following list describes the appeals accepted through the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.

Please read the specific instructions included on each form and follow the directions fully. The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office will not accept or review an appeal that is incomplete or lacks appropriate documentation. Appeal forms can be found on our Forms page. Appeals are processed on a case-by-case basis. For more information regarding the appeals process, or if you have questions specific to your situation, please see a Financial Aid Counselor.

Cost of Attendance Appeal

A Cost of Attendance budget (COA) has been established based on average yearly costs. If you have expenses that are more than the allotted COA amount, you may complete the COA appeal form and provide documentation to support your circumstances.

If your living expenses (rent/mortgage, utility bills such as gas, water, phone, and other expenses such as technology, educational equipment, and internet) are more than the allotted COA amount, you may complete the COA Appeal and provide documentation to support your claim.

Dependency Status Appeal

Students not meeting federal criteria for independent status ( may request a professional judgment adjustment to override the federal criteria. Dependency overrides will be considered on a case-by-case basis due to unusual circumstances. This may include inability to locate parents, an abusive family environment, or abandonment by parents.

Circumstances that do not merit a dependency override include, but are not limited to, parents refusing to contribute to the student’s education, parents’ unwillingness to provide information on the application or for verification, parents not claiming the student as a dependent for income tax purposes, or student demonstrating total self-sufficiency.

All requests must be documented and show that all financial and emotional contact with your parents has been severed as a result of an unusual circumstance. You must submit non-returnable copies of your documentation to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office. Requests submitted without documentation will not be considered.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal and Maximum Credit Hour Academic Plan

This information can be found on our SAP Appeals page.

Selective Service Appeal

All men who are at least 18 years of age and not currently on active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces, or who were born after December 31, 1959, must be registered with Selective Service. If you meet these qualifications and have not registered with Selective Service, you are not entitled to receive Title IV Federal Financial Aid until you register. If you are a male student who failed to register with Selective Service before your 26th birthday, you must complete the appeal form.

Special Circumstance Appeal

Financial aid eligibility for 2014-15 is generally based on income received in 2013. However, some families may be experiencing situations which will cause their 2014 income to be less than their 2013 income. The federal government allows an institution to give such cases special consideration and the ability to use 2014 income based on documented special circumstances. Generally, a special circumstance is an unforeseen change that adversely affects a family’s income. Examples of special circumstances include recent unemployment, death, divorce, separation, unusual medical care expenses. If you or a family member has experienced a significant drop in income from 2013 to 2014 due to a special circumstance, you may complete the appeal form and provide documentation to support your claim.