Exclamation Point IconFederal Student Aid ELIGIBILITY



Only an eligible student may receive federal student aid. Federal regulations define what it means to be an eligible student. If you fail to meet one or more of the following criteria, you will not be considered an eligible student for federal student aid. You must also meet all other eligibility requirements that include, but are not limited to, the information listed on this page.

General Federal Student Aid ELIGIBILITY


  • Be qualified to study at the post-secondary level by having a high school diploma or equivalent, such as a GED or have completed homeschooling at the secondary level as defined by state law.
  • For students enrolled prior to July 1, 2012, if you meet one of the following ability to benefit (ATB) alternatives:
    • Have a passing score on an independently administered, Department of Education approved ATB test.
    • Complete at least 6 credit hours, or 225 clock hours, that apply directly toward the student’s current academic program.
  • Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program for the purpose of obtaining a diploma, certificate, or degree.
  • Be a U.S. citizen, national, or eligible permanent resident non-citizen of the United States* or a citizen of the Freely Associated States.
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if you are male, unless you qualify for an exemption.
  • You must also have a correct Social Security Number (except for students who are residents of the Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau).
  • If you were convicted of or have pled nolo contendere or guilty to, a crime involving fraud in obtaining Title IV, HEA program assistance, you must have completed repayment of such assistance.


  • Be in default on a loan made under any Title IV, HEA loan program.
  • Have obtained loan amounts that exceed annual or aggregate loan limits made under any Title IV, HEA program.
  • Have property subject to a judgment lien for a debt owed to the United States.
  • Be liable for a grant or Federal Perkins loan overpayment.
  • Have listed a defaulted Federal Student Aid loan or grant overpayment in an active bankruptcy claim.
  • Have received outside resources (financial assistance) that exceeds your need and/or Cost of Attendance.

*Eligible non-citizens whose status cannot be confirmed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on the FAFSA application may be required to submit immigration status documents to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office. The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office must then submit the documentation to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and await the results of a secondary confirmation attempt. The documentation must be original (no photocopies).


  • Lawful Permanent Residents

    • Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551 since 1997)
    • Resident Alien Card (Form I-551 before 1997)
    • Arrival/Departure Record (CPB Form 1-94)
    • Departure Record (Form 1-94A)
    • U.S. Department of State machine readable immigrant visa
    • United States Travel Document
      • Reentry permit (Form I-327)
      • Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571)
  • Conditional Resident Aliens

    • Form I-551
    • Form I-94
    • Form I-94A
  • Refugees

    • Form I-94 or I-94A
    • Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571)
  • Persons Granted Asylum in the United States

    • Form I-94 or I-94A
    • Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571)
  • For persons paroled into the United States for at least one year, victims of human trafficking, Cuban-Haitian entrants, battered immigrants-qualified aliens, or Jay Treaty, please contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office for information on appropriate documentation.

Pell Grant Program Eligibility REQUIREMENTS

  • You must be an undergraduate student who has not previously received a bachelor's degree.
  • In correlation with the bullet above, a student who completes the academic requirements for a program but has not yet accepted that degree is not eligible for further additional federal student aid funds for that program. A student who completes all the requirements for a bachelor's degree but continues taking undergraduate courses without accepting that degree is not eligible to receive further Pell Grant funds
  • You must not be currently incarcerated in a Federal or State penal institution.
  • You may not exceed your Pell Lifetime Eligibility. The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2012 added a time limit for students receiving Federal Pell Grants. A student may receive Pell Grants for the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters. If you have received a Pell Grant for the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters, you will no longer be eligible for a Pell Grant. Please contact a Financial Aid and Scholarships Office Counselor if you have questions regarding your Pell Lifetime Eligibility percentage.

Direct Loan Program Eligibility REQUIREMENTS

  • You must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours as an undergraduate and 4.5 credit hours as a graduate)
  • You must not be currently incarcerated.
  • You must not have prior Perkins, FFEL, or Direct loans that have been discharged due to total and permanent disability.
  • Please see our Student Loan Information page for information regarding the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act, which established a new provision to Direct Loan statutory requirements. The new requirements limit a first-time borrower's eligibility for Direct Subsidized Student loans to a period not to exceed 150% of the length of the borrower's education program (the 150% limit).

Note: Once your eligibility for loans is determined, you may need to complete additional requirements before your loan funds can disburse, such as entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note.

STUDENTS Convicted of Possession or Sale of Illegal Drugs

Utah Valley University is a drug free institution. Students who have been convicted of possession or sale of illegal drugs, and were receiving federal aid when the offense occurred, are not eligible for federal student aid. If a student has a drug conviction for an offense, Utah Valley University must determine if the conviction affects the student’s eligibility for aid.


A student who is enrolled in a program of study abroad approved for credit by Utah Valley University may be considered enrolled at Utah Valley University for the purpose of applying for assistance under the Federal Student Aid programs. Like other students enrolled in academic programs, students enrolled in study abroad programs must complete entrance loan counseling in order to receive their federal student loans, and must complete exit loan counseling when they withdraw (either officially or unofficially), drop below half-time enrollment status, or graduate. Each month we will notify students who withdrew or dropped below half-time enrollment status. Students who graduate will be notified at the end of the semester.