J-1 Exchange Visitor Program 

J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States to scholars, researchers and students to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States. All applicants must meet eligibility criteria, English language requirements, and be sponsored either by a university, private sector or government program. The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is administered by the U.S. Department of State.

In some cases, the J-1 visa carries a "two-year home country residence requirement" which requires the J visa holders to return to their home countries for two years before being eligible for certain non-immigrant visas and all immigrant visas. This restriction applies to those financially supported by the U.S. government (e.g. Fulbright grantees) or by their own governments (including travel grants) during any part of their stay in the United States in J visa status. In addition, the two-year home country residence requirement is imposed on those whose skills are needed in their home countries, as registered in the Exchange Visitor Skills List

English Language proficiency is a critical factor in an Exchange Visitor’s ability to succeed in the lab or classroom, and on a day-to-day basis. This includes everything from negotiating rent to describing an illness to a physician. Language proficiency is essential to the health, welfare, and safety of an Exchange Visitor, as well as critical tool for an Exchange Visitor to fully understand their rights, responsibilities, and protections during their stay in the U.S.


For more information please contact Diana Briceno in Global Administration at Diana.Briceno@uvu.edu