Length of Exchange and Eligibility

A student can go for one academic year, which is two semesters, at a host institution. You may also attend one more semester at another host institution. You may be eligible to exchange to more than one NSE campus; your exchange may cross two or more academic years (additional application fees will apply). Some participating schools may allow you to attend one semester only.

General eligibility requirements prior to exchange

  • A degree-seeking undergraduate (matriculating) student at an NSE member campus 
  • Completion of one term of full-time attendance (12 semester hours or 12 quarter hours) at an NSE member campus prior to submitting an application 
  • Completion of one academic year (24 semester hours or 36 quarter hours) at an NSE member campus prior to your exchange 
  • Full-time (in classroom) enrollment at your NSE home campus
  • Minimum home campus cumulative GPA of 2.5 (4.0 scale) 
  • Good academic standing as defined by your home campus 
  • No incomplete grades from previous terms
  • No outstanding financial obligations to your home campus
  • No current or pending probationary status or disciplinary action due to academic dishonesty or student, civil, or criminal misconduct

*While on exchange, you are expected to maintain full time enrollment at your host campus and comply with all the rules and regulations (academic, codes of conduct, financial, etc.) of your host campus.*

Apply Now

How to choose a "host" university

Are you interested in an exchange program but unsure about where you would want to go? Take a look at theNSE website. There is a complete list of schools, and you can sort by major to find the exchange school that is right for you. Schedule an appointment to meet with the NSE staff who will help you evaluate your options based on your desires.

Paying for your exchange

If you need financial aid or help completing or updating your FAFSA, contact Financial Aid at (801) 863-8442 or visit BA-105.

If you are on scholarship, check with the scholarship provider to assure coverage while on exchange.

There are two payment plans:

Host payment (Plan A)

For eligible students exchanging under the host payment (Plan A), federally funded financial aid is awarded by and disbursed from your host campus. Other than the exception schools(see below), financial aid (including scholarships) will not be available from your home campus. Federal aid programs, designated under the Financial Aid tab of the Campus Profiles, are available to eligible NSE students as long as funds are available in each program. There is no guarantee that aid will be offered in each of the programs listed. Also note that host NSE campuses generally do not award institutionally-based scholarships, grants, or fee remissions to incoming exchange students.


On your FAFSA form, list the FAFSA code for each campus where there is potential for being placed on Plan A. FAFSA codes for campuses that use Plan A are listed under the Financial Aid tab on Campus Profiles. Also include the FAFSA code for your home institution in case your plans change.

Room and meals

If you choose to live on campus at your host university, you will pay the cost for room and meals directly to the host campus, not to your home university. Housing options and meal plans vary greatly from campus to campus. Consult individual institution catalogs and campus web home pages nse.org for descriptions and costs of specific room and meal plan options.

Other fees

Whether you participate under Plan A or Plan B, you will also be expected to pay those fees which are assessed as a condition of your enrollment (e.g., laboratory fees, art and photography supplies, course surcharges, and computer fees). Field trips and special events fees may be charged for NSE group activities on your host campus.

Home payment (Plan B)

For eligible students exchanging under the home payment (Plan B), federally-funded financial aid is awarded by and disbursed from your home campus. College work study will not be available while on exchange.


If exchanging under the home payment (Plan B), list only the FAFSA code for your home campus. Do not list the FAFSA code for your exchange site or sites. This could result in an over-award, which must be repaid.


Do I have to be currently enrolled at UVU to participate in NSE?

Yes — UVU students that would like to exchange to another participating U.S. university must be enrolled full time and be in good standing with UVU, academically and financially, the semester prior to the exchange. In addition, students must have an overall GPA of at least 2.5 and have completed 24 credits before the exchange.

How much will it cost to participate in the NSE?

Students must pay a one-time application fee of $230. This application fee is nonrefundable. Housing, meals, books, insurance, etc., are paid at the host school.

Do I have to enroll full time at the host school?

Yes — UVU students are expected to maintain full-time status at the host school for the entire duration of the exchange.

Can I use my financial aid to help pay tuition and other costs?

Yes — UVU students who receive financial aid from the federal government, the state, or academic tuition waivers from UVU may use this money to help pay for tuition and other associated costs such as meals and housing. Students who receive scholarships from private sources should contact the sponsors to confirm that the money can be used for an exchange.

Does every U.S. university participate in NSE?

No, but there are over 200 participating schools throughout the United States. See theMap of Participating Schools for a complete list.

How do I apply to participate in NSE?

Students who want to attend another school through NSE must complete and return various applications. NSE application forms are found here. The NSE application needs to be turned into the NSE Office in order to be considered for placement. Students cannot negotiate their own exchanges, and all application materials must go through the UVU NSE coordinator.

How do I register for classes at the host school?

Once a student is placed at the host site, the host school NSE coordinator will send additional application materials, class registration forms, housing applications, and any other paperwork needed for enrollment. Once the materials are received, the student must follow time schedules and guidelines for registration issued by the host school.

How do my credits and grades transfer to UVU?

You must request from your host institution that an official transcript be sent to UVU. The UVU Records Office will post the credits and GPA earned at the host school, but they will not be factored into your UVU GPA.

May I work while on exchange at another school?

Yes, but we advise that students do not depend on jobs to fund an exchange. We cannot guarantee that you will find a job or that it will pay you enough to meet your expenses. Being in an unfamiliar location with new concerns may cause added stress, which should be factored in.

May I return to UVU If I am not happy at the host school?

We cannot force students to remain at the host school, but keep in mind that if a student withdraws from the NSE program after the semester has begun and before it has ended, the student must officially resign in writing from both the host school and UVU. You may still be responsible to pay your tuition depending on the resignation date.

Can I establish residency in the host state while I am on the exchange?

Participating students are considered visiting students and cannot establish residency at the host school while on exchange. Students contemplating transfer to the host school must realize that they will have to meet that state's residency criteria after completion of the program.

Can I contact students who have participated in NSE already?

Yes! You may call the UVU NSE Office for contact names or e-mail addresses of those students who have participated in the past or are currently on an exchange.

Where can I get a general catalog for the host school?

Check the website of the host school. Many schools have course catalogs there, as well as academic, student life, and area information.

When will I find out whether I have been accepted to the host school?

The UVU NSE coordinator places and accepts students at an annual NSE placement conference in mid-March. The coordinator will make every effort to reach students to report placement results while at the conference. Otherwise, a list of students and their placements will be posted at the NSE Office. It is vital that students apply for admission at their host school and send official transcripts immediately. Credit evaluation must take place so students can enroll in courses with prerequisites when registration begins.

How long can I stay on exchange, and can I extend my time?

Students can exchange for one full academic year at one institution — that means one fall and one spring semester. A third semester may be completed at a second institution.

Who will sign my Academic Advising Form?

You must meet with your academic advisor to compare UVU courses with the courses at the host institution. To assist in the process, please review the transfer articulation site which lists courses that are pre-approved for transferability. The academic advisor must sign and approve the courses for the credits to be transferred on the NSE Advance Credit Approval Form. For all other questions regarding this process, please see the UVU NSE coordinator.

I have not received any information from the school I am going to attend. What do I do?

Students should contact the NSE coordinator at the school they will attend to discuss any problems they are having with that institution. Visit the Participating Schools page to find the host institution's website or contact UVU’s NSE Office, LC 409, and we will help you connect with the proper NSE coordinator.