Department of Mathematics
Utah Valley University
800 West University Parkway
Orem, UT 84058
Phone: (801) 863-6057
2004 - 2008 PhD degree in Mathematics, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Texas Tech University.
2002 - 2004 Master’s degree in Statistics with a research assistantship, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas.
1987-1989 Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, the Mathematics Department of Hubei Education University, Wuhan city, Hubei province, China.
1980-1983 Diploma, the Mathematics Department of Yichang Normal College, Yichang city, Hubei province, China.
2007 Summer Dissertation Award given by the Graduate School at Texas Tech University.
2003 – 2004 William D. Clark Outstanding Graduate Student Award given by the Department of Mathematics and Statistics of Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas.
1986 Yichang District award for outstanding teaching (covering 9 counties and 1 city), China.
1985 Award of outstanding service in Yuanan Normal College, China.
· Edward Allen and Xiaoyi Ji, A Stochastic Partial Differential Equation for Stock-price Distributions, Proceedings of Neural, Parallel, and Scientific Computations 4 (2010) 19-25.
· Gilliam. D., T. Hohage, Xiaoyi. Ji, and F. Ruymgaart, Fréchet-Derivatives of Analytic Functions of Compact Operators and Applications, International Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications. Volume 2009, Article ID 239025, 17 pages.
· B. Du, Xiaoyi Ji, R.D. Harmel, and L.M. Hauck. Using Watershed-Scale Flow
Predictions Based on Sparse Data to Develop Flow Duration Curves, Journal of the American Water Resources Association 2009, Volume 45, pp 475-484.
· Xiaoyi, Ji and F. Ruymgaart. Frechet-Differentiation of Functions of Operators with
Application to Testing the Equality of Two Covariance Operators, Journal of Physics:
Conference Series 124 (2008) 012028
· B. Du, L.M. Hauck, Xiaoyi Ji. Using SWAT to Provide Hydrologic Data for a
Bacteria TMDL in Upper Oyster Creek, Texas, Proceedings of Fourth conference on
watershed management to meet water quality and TMDLs issues: solutions and impediments to watershed management and TMDLs 2007, Crowne Plaza.
· Inverse problems with functional data analysis.
· Applications of statistical analysis of stochastic process based on data.
2008-present Assistant professor, teach MATH 1030, MATH 1040, MATH 1050, MATH 1220, MATH 2040, and MATH 4710, Department of Mathematics, Utah Valley University.
2006-2008 Teaching assistant, taught statistics (total 35 students in two classes, twice a week), Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Texas Tech University.
Spring 2006 Teaching assistant, taught college algebra (27 students, the class met every day), Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Texas Tech University.
Fall 2005 Teaching assistant, taught college algebra (total 38 students in two classes, the classes met three times a week), Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Texas Tech University.
2004 – 2005 Teaching assistant, graded and tutored business mathematics and modern algebra for undergraduate students; tutored mathematics and statistics in the mathematics club, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Texas Tech University.
Summer 2004 Tutored mathematics and statistics for undergraduate students, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Stephen F. Austin State University.
2002 - 2004 Research assistant, research on comparison of several estimators of parameters of density functions, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Stephen F. Austin State University.
1989-2000 Senior Secretary and Registered Real Estate Appraiser for Real Estate Property Appraisal Services of Tsinghua in Beijing, China.
1983-1987 Lecturer, taught Geometry, Linear Algebra, Calculus, and Logic Algebra in Yuanan Teacher Education College, Yuanan City, Hubei province, China.
· Serving as a member of the department committee that is developing the courses for an actuarial science and statistics minor for the Department of Mathematics.
· Served on adjunct faculty (statistics) screening committees, interviewed two adjunct applicants during their 20 minute-lecture presentation.
· Served on traffic counts project for UVU Traffic Flow that is organized by the Transportation Division of the city of Orem and the UVU Department of Mathematics.
· Helped with the 23rd Annual Expanding Your Horizons Conference on March 11, 2009.
· Helped with the 24rd Annual Expanding Your Horizons Conference on March 6, 2010.
· Helped with the Utah State Math Contest for high school students on March 17, 2009.
· Helped with the Utah State Math Contest for high school students on March 17, 2010.
· Served as a judge for the Sterling Scholar competition of Southeastern Utah in spring 2010.
· Helped to select the students with mathematics and mathematical education majors to receive scholarships, May 5, 2010.
· All mathematics department colloquia except when the time of a colloquium conflicted with my teaching responsibilities.
· SIAM conference on application of dynamical systems, May 17-2, 2009, Snowbird, Utah.
· Utah Council of Teachers of Mathematics Conference, October 10-11, 2009, Orem, Utah.
· 35th annual conference of the American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges, November 12-14, 2009, Las Vegas, Nevada.