Coronavirus Q&A - Students

Last updated 07/09/2020 10:15am

 If you have questions about what to expect as a UVU student this fall please check out the Fall 2020 Student Information website. Topics include classroom modifications, academic support services, online course tips, and other important information.


Is the SLWC open?

Yes, beginning June 8th with modified hours and services.


How can I access Student Health Services (SHS)?

Please see for information on how to access SHS, including mental health therapists and the crisis team. SHS is not a test site for COVID-19. If you are presenting COVID-19 symptoms, please call SHS at 801-863-8876 rather than coming to campus. SHS will answer questions and give referrals to COVID-19 testing. 

You may also visit where you can take an online assessment to determine symptoms and receive a test if needed.


What resources are available at Student Health Services?

The following resources are available:


When should face coverings be worn on campus?

Students at Utah Valley University are members of a community committed to maintaining a healthy and safe campus. While enrolled at UVU, students must follow the Student Code of Conduct, UVU Policy 541, and other policies. The Student Code supports the intellectual, personal, social, and ethical development of all community members by promoting the values of civility, integrity, inclusion, respect, and responsibility. The Student Code also establishes the conduct expectations for students of UVU and outlines students’ rights and due process procedures for addressing alleged student violations of university policies.

To ensure everyone’s safe return for fall semester, we want to remind students of their responsibility to uphold the safety precautions outlined here. Guidance from federal, state, and local health authorities indicates that wearing face coverings (e.g., masks, scarves, gaiters, bandanas, visors) significantly reduces the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Therefore, students are required to wear face coverings inside university buildings, in common areas, including classrooms, while also maintaining a six-foot physical distance. Students must wear facial coverings outside when maintaining a six-foot distance is not possible outside. Face coverings must cover both the nose and the mouth. Students who cannot feasibly wear a mask due to a disability, phobia, or other reasons should contact the Office of Accessibility Services — that office will determine appropriate accommodations as needed. Additionally, face coverings are not required for individuals eating or drinking and maintaining a physical distance of at least six feet from any other individual who is not from the same household or residence.

Students who disregard the requirement to wear face coverings may be in violation of the Student Code for endangering the health or safety of others (See Student Code section and may be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution. Faculty and staff are encouraged first to discuss concerns with the student involved; however, when appropriate, they may refer a student to the Office of Student Conduct at 801-863-8952 or University community members may also submit an online report via a reporting link.

Our university is committed to providing balanced and fair systems of resolution, and we encourage an education-based, informal resolution process, which includes conversations to deepen understanding about community responsibility. Repeated violations of the Student Code may be subject to progressive sanctions, including written warning, probation, and suspension from the university. Please refer to the Student Code for more information on expectations of student conduct.


Will UVU provide free masks and/or face shields for students, staff, and faculty?

Currently, UVU is providing one reusable mask for each employee. The State of Utah is providing each Utah mailing address up to six reusable masks, free of charge, via this link. Masks can also be found online and at in-person retailers.


What if I decline to adhere to social distancing guidelines in the classroom?

Classroom seating will be arranged to promote social distancing guidelines and students are encouraged to leave the seating arrangements where they are. Should you decline to adhere to social distancing guidelines, faculty may ask you to leave the classroom and not return until you have met with the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution.


What if I am harassed, threatened, or bullied (“mask shamed”) by students, faculty or staff regarding my decision to wear or not wear a mask?

Report any instances of threats, bullying or harassment, either online or in person, to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution. If you feel your safety may be in imminent danger, notify campus police immediately by calling 801-863-5555 or dialing 911. 


Do you have tips to help me manage my stress and/or anxiety related to COVID-19? 

Yes. SHS has resources available to help students that are dealing with stress and/or anxiety related to COVID-19.

If you are experiencing emotional distress related to COVID-19, you can also call Intermountain Healthcare’s COVID-19 Emotional Health Relief Hotline at 833-442-2211. There is no cost to call, and the hotline will be staffed every day from 10 a.m. until 10 p.m.

If you are in crisis, please access the SafeUT app, which will connect you to licensed counselors who are ready to respond 24/7 at no cost. You can text, call, or submit a tip anonymously.

Here are additional resources:


What if I tested positive for COVID-19?

Please complete the UVU COVID-19 Reporting Form.

What should I do if I need academic accommodations due to the changes from the pandemic?

Students who need accommodations due to a disability should contact the Office of Accessibility at accessibilityservices@uvu.eduor 801-863-8747 located in Losee Center 312.

Examples may include having a mild hearing impairment that you did not previously need an accommodation for, but now find it difficult to hear an instructor who is wearing a face mask, or an inability to wear a face covering due  a health condition, or difficulty testing at home for your online class due a disability, or concern attending face to face classes due to being in a high-risk category.

How can I access food resources?

The UVU Food Pantry will open for remote orders on Monday, July 13, with pick up on Thursday, July 16. Please visit the Food Pantry website for more details. To find community food resources closest to you, please visit  

If you have children, all area school districts have been authorized to offer free grab-and-go breakfasts and lunches for all children ages 0–18. For a list of locations, please contact your child’s school district. 



What if I lost my job due to COVID-19?

Please contact the Department of Workforce Services at to determine additional resources. You can also dial 211 to access the United Way of Utah County or visit


Are there community resources available to students who are facing food or housing insecurity? 

Yes. Please visit to access community resources or dial 211 to access the United Way of Utah County or visit to help support food or housing insecurity. 


What if I can’t pay a bill or have an urgent, unexpected expense? 

If you have a specific expense that threatens your housing, health, or safety, you can apply for the expense to be covered by the UVU emergency fund. These funds are usually given in amounts ranging from $50-$500. You are only eligible for this funding if you have already accepted all grants and/or scholarships available to you. Fill out the emergency fund application to submit your request. 

You may also be interested in working with UVU’s Money Management Resource Center, which can help with managing money. Virtual appointments are now available.


How do I access Financial Aid? 


How can I access the CARES Act funding as a student?

Visit the Financial Aid website for more information.


Can I get out of my housing contract? 

In consultation with federal, state, and local officials, UVU made the determination that following Spring Break, the remainder of the semester will be delivered in an online format as much as reasonably possible. This was not an easy or light decision, as UVU is aware there are many affected by this decision, including students returning home while still under active rental agreements. The UVU community understands what a difficult situation this creates, but the safety and security of UVU students, faculty, and staff are of the highest importance. The global pandemic COVID-19 virus has created is unprecedented. It has disrupted almost every aspect of daily life. Since UVU is not a party to the rental agreements, UVU unfortunately cannot provide legal advice or representation for students to cancel their housing contracts. We have reached out to several apartment complexes encouraging them and are hopeful the apartment managers will be willing to work with students as their living arrangements have changed. UVU apologizes for the inconvenience this unparalleled change has presented, but this is a developing situation that UVU is trying its best to navigate. Please read through the student FAQ for additional resources that may help you during this time.


What if I travel during the COVID-19 outbreak? 

If you plan to travel for personal reasons or recently traveled out of the state (domestic or international), you MUST fill out UVU's self-reporting travel questionnaire. In line with CDC recommendations, students are okay to return to campus following domestic travel unless you have had close contact exposure to known positive COVID-19 person or someone with symptoms consistent with COVID-19 (defined as 15 min or longer, less than 6 feet, no PPE worn).