Local, State, and Federal Requirements for Business

courtesy of the Small Business Development Center
located on the UVU Campus
www.uvu.edu/sbdc or call (801) 863-8230


Business Entity Step One
Register Business Name with the State
Step Two
Obtain Federal Tax ID Numbers
Step Three
Obtain State Tax ID Numbers
Step Four
Obtain City or County Business License
Step Five
Obtain Special State Licenses
Sole Proprietorship File "Business Name Registration" Application or TC-69 ($22 fee) May use S.S. number if no employees are hired Skip only if no sales tax will be collected and no employees will be hired Contact the Business License division of your city or county for application. Annual fee is usually pro-rated. Check with the State Department of Commerce to see if a special license is required for your type of business (see page 28 of "Doing Business in Utah")
General Partnerships File "Business Name Registration" Application or TC-69 ($22 fee) File Federal Form SS-4 (download forms at www.irs.gov) for Employee Identification Number. (A Taxpayer Identification Number can be assigned and used in lieu of Social Security number if no employees are hired.) File State Form TC-69 to receive:
  • Employee Withholding number
  • Sales and Use Tax number
  • Corporate Franchise Tax number
Limited Partnership File "Certificate of Limited Partnership" Application ($70 fee)
Limited Liability Partnership File Application for Limited Liability Partnership ($70fee)
Corporation C Corp. and S Corp. File "Articles of Incorporation" (both original and duplicate) ($70 fee)
Non-Profit Corporation File "Articles of Incorporation" (both original and duplicate) ($70- fee)
Limited Liability Company (LLC) File "Articles of Organization" (both original and duplicate) ($70 fee)
To register your business online, visit Utah's One Stop Online Business Registration System at www.utah.gov.

Or visit:
The One Stop Service Center
150 East Center Street, Suite 1300
Provo, Utah 84606 (801) 374-7071